To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't get 1password to work on my new laptop?

debjenmad
debjenmad
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Memberships

So I already have this app/extension on my iPhone 6 and my desktop they are working great. however i just got a laptop and I want to have 1password on there too. however it will not work? I think I accidently started a new trial account because when I put in my master password the vault was empty it was not my account. So now I have a trial account and don't know how to close that and get my data my vault onto my new laptop.

Also I don't know what email that is associated with this app or the account key. I can't find that information anywhere when I open 1password on my desktop? I wish I could talk to someone? Why don't you have a customer service number or even a chat?

Comments

• Hi @debjenmad! I’m sorry for the confusion about an account. We recently introduced a 1Password subscription service, which has automatic sync between your devices, access to 1Password anywhere, and an account to access everything. Since you purchased 1Password a while back, you didn't get an account with the new service. You can create one to get the benefits accounts include (see that blog post I just linked to for more info), or you can keep using 1Password as you always have.

I checked for licenses under the email address you used to sign up on this forum, and found one for 1Password for Windows. I sent that to you so you have a copy. :) Install 1Password 4 for Windows, then choose Help -> Enter License Key to activate your copy.

To get your data back, I would recommend syncing your previous copy. If you still have your old computer, sync that with Dropbox. If you don't have your old computer, sync your iPhone with Dropbox.

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

Then add your Dropbox vault to 1Password on your new computer and unlock it with your Master Password. Hope that helps! Let us know if you have some questions along the way.

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

I think I want to upgrade to the one subscription that sync between devices. I will try to do what you explained but if I have problems I will come back her and leave you more comments.

• @debjenmad Okay, if you'd like to do that you can. :) We have a nice guide to help you start using an account with your existing data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Let me know how things go. If you do have questions we're here to help.

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Morning Jacob, this video went so fast and I could not follow the steps and it was talking about a family account not an individual account on many devises. Also I don't have a Mac I have two PC and an iphone. I don't know why setting up the app on my iphone was so easy I don't remember having this much problems. The problem is that I think I have two account now with the same master password one trial and my regular account. I need to talk to someone and get this fixed, please can someone call me I need help????
    Debbie
    [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY AGILEBITS STAFF]

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

Well I just started an online account with a new vault now I need to know how to move all my data to the new updated account. THis is all very very confusing I wish I could just talk to someone please.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @debjenmad

I'm very sorry to hear that setting up the apps and migrating your data has been a bit complicated. I removed your phone number to protect your privacy, these forums are public and anyone can see it :chuffed:

Lets do one thing at time! First of all, you'll need to download 1Password 6 for Windows on the computer where you've already been using 1Password so you can use it with your account. You can get it here: https://1password.com/downloads/ You won't be able to add your account to 1Password 4.

Once you've done that, you can go to the link Jacob mentioned before and scroll down and see very detailed step by step instructions so you can add your account and then migrate your data. Just to clear up what's going on the video, we have 3 kinds of accounts: Teams, Families and Individual. We chose to do the video for the second one, but the steps are identical :chuffed:

Once you've migrated your data you should add your account on your other devices. You'll only need to follow the steps on the guide for each device and platform you're using.

Please let us know if you have any questions and how this set up process goes for you :chuffed:

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

Pilar, thanks for the update. So downloaded the new 1Password 6 onto my desktop. So now I have my WORKING 1password 4 older vault and a new account with the new app. I noticed on my phone it is already running the new verse of 1Password 6 and doing just fine. So on the video it only explains how to take your vault data from the newer version of (6) and move it into a family or group account on the same newer version (6). This video does NOT help me since the working one is with the older version (4). So please help me

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

Also I have already downloaded the newer version of 1Password 6 onto my new laptop and it is the same as the new EMPTY account I set up on my desktop. However the correct one on my phone is full of data. I have so many accounts now I am so confused? How do I get everything into the new one and delete the older version 4?>

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @debjenmad

I'm sorry I wasn't a bit more clear, I'll be happy to help you :chuffed:

You can find the instruction further down the page on this link under the subtitle To import data into your new account under the windows category.

The important part for you is this:

You can migrate all your data at once or just specific items:

1. Select ⚙(Settings) > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open Vault.
    2. Select your .opvault or .agilekeychain folder, click OK, then enter the password for that vault.
    3. Select the item you want to copy. Select multiple items by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on them. Select all of the items by pressing Ctrl+A after clicking one of the items in the list.
    4. Click Copy and choose the vault you want to copy the data into.

Keep in mind that you need to do this in 1Password 6 :chuffed:

Please let me know how this goes!

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

OK I opened the new version vault (6) and found settings and on to folder then open vault. However it brought me to a place to select a file. I have no idea how to find the right file or where it might be? Is this going to open up the older version (4) data to move it? This is very confusing, but thanks for saying with me and trying to help me.

So the question is what file am I looking for and where it is?

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

I don't know how I did it but the new version on my desktop now has all my passwords from the older version.

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

So I have so many questions now. This newer version is separate like an account online, how do I get it connected to Chrome at the top bar so I can just click on it when I need to get a password for a site. I liked the way version (4) worked? I also need it on Internet Explorer. So how do I get them to work in those browsers. Then do I need to delete the version (4) now?

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

So far I don't like the newer version, there is no place for me to sync with my iphone, and no way of emptying the gabage? There are fewer options and don't know how to set this up for new passwords/websites? Very confused

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @debjenmad

I'm glad to hear that all your data is now in 1Password 6 :chuffed: That was the trickiest part, the rest should go easily! Now you have to move your data into your account. As long as 1Password 6 is running and unlocked you'll be able to use the extension as you always have. Explorer is not being developed anymore so we do not have an extension for it, we might have one for Edge in the future instead but I can't tell you when that will be the case. For now you can use 1Password 6 with either Chrome or Firefox.

You can delete both 1Password 4 and your local data, but before deleting anything I want you to please check that your data is available in your other devices. I believe in the motto "better safe than sorry" ;)

First, you'll need to add your account on your two other devices:

For your new Windows computer:

1. Get 1Password 6 for Windows, install it, and open the app.
    2. Select “Sign in to your 1Password Account” on the welcome screen.
    3. In your browser, sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    4. Click your account name in the top right and choose Get the Apps.
    5. Drag your QR code to the 1Password window.
    6. Enter your Master Password and select “Sign in”.

And for your iPhone:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings, then tap 1Password Accounts.
    3. Tap Scan QR Code.
    4. Scan your QR Code and type in your Master Password.

Please check if your data is on both of them when you've done this and let me know what you find out :chuffed:

P.S. I'll let you try all this and I'll be back later or early tomorrow morning so we can get all this sorted out and get you to enjoy your new 1Password Account!

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

Ok my phone is fine it has always worked and I don't know how it is running latest version and has all my passwords data in it? Not sure how or when this happened? Can I found out what version my phone is running of the app?

Anyway I went to my laptop and opened up the new (6) version it doesn't have any of my data at all. Which is weird because the one on my desktop (6) version does have my data now? Anyway I went to the Get the Apps dropdown and I see the QR code but have NO IDEA where you want me to drag it to? I already have the 1Password window open so how can I drag it to itself? This is still very very confusing. I hope your manager take a look at this whole conversation since it shows how going from one version (4) to (6) is very confusing.

Also I still need the new version of the ext on my Chrome and don't know how to do that ?

• @debjenmad Thanks for the update. It sounds like there's one step left, which is to move your passwords from your desktop to your account. They are now in 1Password 6, but they're still in the old vault which has been added to the app. To sync them with your other devices, they need to be in your account. To move them:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 6 on your desktop.
    2. Select all of the items in your old vault by pressing clicking an item, then right-clicking it and clicking Select All.
    3. Click Copy and choose your Personal vault.

Now your passwords will sync to any device you are signed in to with your 1Password account. On your laptop, open 1Password 6 and sign in to your account there. On your iPhone, there's one extra step since it still has your old vault. First, sign in to your account at https://my.1password.com on your computer and make sure your passwords are in the Personal vault. If they are, open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone and tap Settings, then scroll down and tap Advanced. Scroll down one last time and tap "Erase All 1Password Data". This will remove your old vault and close 1Password. Open it again and you can sign in to your account. :)

Now you should be all set with your account across your devices. If you get a new device, you can sign in there using your account details. Let us know how that goes!

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

I just checked my Password 6 version and now there are NO passwords or anything in the vault? Don't know what happened, I saw them go into that account. This is crazy and I feel lost again. Sure wish I could just call you and solve these problems that are going on for days now

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

So I put in my cc info for my $3.99 monthly for this subscription but if I can't get my passwords into this vault then I want to cancel that. I am still in the trial so there is time I guess. Not sure why this must be so hard. Can't you put together step by step video showing me what to do. I have the older version (4) and love that it is working I just want that on my new laptop. Can someone please help me figure that out?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @debjenmad

I'm sorry this has been so much trouble, I hope we can get this sorted out one way or another! Right now I'd really appreciate it if you could send us a Diagnostics Report, it will let us see the state of things so we can guide you through the best solution. Once we've seen this report we'll find the best and easiest approach for you. Thank you very much for you patience, and I'm so very sorry that this process has not been easier for you :( I hope that we get your email soon!

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

Okay I was able to make a report from my version 4 but the subscription one online 6 I was not able to find this?

Select (Settings) > Export Diagnostics Report. There is no settings that I could find. So I am sending you that email now. I didn't receive any auto reply sorry

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

[#UGG-85538-588]. just got the number sorry

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @debjenmad

Thank you very much for sending the Diagnostics Report, we have received it. We'll take a look at it and someone will be in touch with you. We'll continue the conversation over email :chuffed: We'll get this sorted out and working very soon, thank you ver much for your patience :chuffed:

ref: UGG-85538-588
    ref: BEJ-43665-951

• debjenmad
    debjenmad
    Community Member

Great I hope so, just so you know you only have the diagnostic from the older version 4 I was not able to do anything with the newer one 6.

• Looks like we've got the conversation going via email now. We'll keep it there. :)

This discussion has been closed.