Can't access 1Password for Families entries in Launcher on Mac

Options
kclines3
kclines3
Community Member

I have "3rd Party App Integrations" checked and I have always used (and loved) the integration of 1Password into LaunchBar. Since migrating all my items to 1Password for Families, these no longer show up in Launchbar. I have tried updating the index in Launchbar with no success in fixing it. I then tried migrating some of my entries back to my personal, non-teams vault and it works perfectly. Please help!

Thanks,

Kyle Lines

1Password Version: 6.1 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams/Families
Referrer: forum-search:Can't access 1Password for Families entries in Launcher on Mac

Comments

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

Launchbar needs to fix the issue on their end. They are working on an update.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in here, @Fooligan.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@bwoodruff Good morning Ben. I was hoping you could give me your opinion on using app's like Launchbar with 1Password.
    From the user manual:

In order for third-party apps like Alfred, LaunchBar, and Quicksilver to be able to show a list of your Login items, 1Password must provide them with an unencrypted index of the your Logins. The sensitive data (like your username and password) always remains encrypted, but the titles and URLs of the Login items are presented in a way that the other apps can make use of them for you and allow you to be even more productive.

By enabling 3rd party integration does any security get compromised in your opinion? For the sake of one or two button pushes I wonder if it's worth the risk. I'm totally on the fence about it so thought I'd ask you.

Thank you, Polly

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Polly ( @iamecho ),

That's a great question, and I'm glad you asked for opinions here instead of anything definitive, because in the end, it will come down to your personal preference and what you are comfortable with. All security software works to find a balance between security and convenience. We try to ensure that 1Password is flexible enough to allow you to find the balance that works for you, while still providing acceptable security for everyone. Our documentation is designed to be very clear about the information that will be shared with these third-party apps to ensure that you can make an informed decision.

Now, I'm not a security expert (I can certainly ping our gurus here if you'd like a bit more of an official discussion of security concerns), but I can tell you what I've seen from users, and my own opinions on the matter.

Some users prefer that none of their information is ever available in an unencrypted form. One concern is that if an attacker obtained a list of the websites that you had accounts for, they would be able to launch a more targeted attack against your data by not wasting time on sites they know that you do not use.

Personally, I tend to lean toward the side of convenience. Because I use strong and unique passwords for every site that I visit, I'm not overly concerned if people can find out that I have accounts for various sites. And, because I work at a computer all day, automating my workflow wherever possible is a priority.

So, I hope my perspective has been helpful, and I'd love to hear how you decide. :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan As always Megan, such a thoughtful and helpful answer from you, thank you. While I agree with you in convenience and workflow & enabling ridiculously long passwords thanks to the 1P generator keeping us safe, I feel the answer has actually become quite clear. LaunchBar does not play nicely with Families, and if Families turns out to be as awesome as it looks, there's my answer. Perhaps we'll need to revisit this discussion if that ever changes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iamecho,

I'm glad to hear that my answer helped! Clearly I'm biased, but I think that Families will turn out to be as awesome as it looks, and I hope that you agree. ;)

If you have any other questions about 1Password, you know where to find us - have a great day!

• kclines3
    kclines3
    Community Member
    Options

Has anybody had success with my original question here? According to the tweets, Lauchbar has fixed it on their end, but I haven't seen any results for my items stored in the Family vaults. Still only works on my personal vault.

• Jacob
    Options

@kclines3 This is still on our list, but it got bumped a bit since we had some other stuff come up. Thanks for checking in! :)

ref: OPM-3638

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify @penderworth, you're talking about exporting all vaults to the bookmarks json file? Do you have a sense of when that might come out?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@invictus26: Sort of, but of course it's never that simple! 1Password Families/Teams uses a very different model than was used in the past, And indeed, we're hoping to support 3rd party integration there too in the future, though I can't say for certain when that may come to pass.

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member
    Options

Did you ever decide "when this will come to pass"?

Its October, I switched my family over to 1Password families, running the current version of everything (1Password and LaunchBar) and still frustrated this integration isn't working for me.

I have disabled and re-enabled the feature inside 1Password and deleted/re-created the Index in LaunchBar.

Any chance there is a definitive decision on this feature?

I would like to quit wasting my time trying to make it work and likely discontinue my Families subscription as a result of losing the integration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@zemackdaddy: I don't have a release date to give you, but it's something we're working on with the vendors. Thanks for letting us know you'd like to use 3rd party integration with your 1Password Account!

This discussion has been closed.