Can't re-enable PIN encryption after auto filling on Android 6.0

yoyosamo
yoyosamo
Community Member

Hello (again!),

When I went to enable Automatic Filling on Android 6.0, using the 1Password app, I am warned that, "Your device will be insecure if you only enable automatic filling without completing all the steps".
So, after following all the steps to enabling the accessibility feature I get to step 7 where I am told to, "Tap “Require (pattern, PIN, or password) to start device” then tap OK."
However, I am unable to find this option.
I have make a (pretty rubbish... :wink: ) video of what I can see when following the steps to enable auto filling - perhaps I'm just missing something?

Many Thanks,
Sam :smile:

1Password Version: 1Password for Android v6.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

I had the same issue as you, I didn't see the option that you mentioned. I assumed though that it was only applicable if you have enabled encryption on your phone (which I haven't).

It'd be good to get clarification on this though.

• yoyosamo
    yoyosamo
    Community Member

@Martok From what I can understand, this is to do with the always-on, built-in encryption - but, as you say, I'd love some clarification! :smile:

• saad
    edited October 2016

Hey Sam! Thanks for bringing this up, and thank you for making that video for us. It helped a lot in understanding what is going on.

From watching the video, it appears that your device is not encrypted. Without device encryption, you should not be seeing the warning, "Because you’ve turned on an accessibility service, your device won’t use screen lock to enhance data encryption", when choosing a screen lock. This is also the reason why you do not see an option to "Require {screen lock} to start device". It appears to be a bug in Android Marshmallow.

If you like to encrypt your device, just tap on Encrypt phone in the Security settings for your phone. I highly recommend it! :)

• yoyosamo
    yoyosamo
    Community Member

Ah, okay - thanks very much! I'll do that ASAP :smile:

Perhaps add that to the instructions so others don't get so confused???

Thanks again,
    ~ Sam :chuffed:

• saad
    edited October 2016

You're very welcome! :) We will look to update our guide to make it more clear. Thanks!
    ref: AKB-638

This discussion has been closed.