What licence should I purchase?

Options

Hi there,

I've recently relocated my Dropbox folder, which contained my 1Password Vaults folder.
I'm now getting backup errors. Manual backups are working OK, but the daily automatic backups are failing.

I purchased a Single Licence from https://agilebits.com/ for about $64.99 back in 2014.
I beleive this entitled me to upgrades within 1Password4, but not major upgrades to 1Password5 or 1Password6 etc.
The licence has worked for me on my Windows Desktop and Windows Laptop.

I also have a separate Mac licence at my office and the version I'm using there is 1Password6, so I thought before I contact support about my backup problems, I should probably try and upgrade to 1Password6.
When I try to upgrade I get an error... https://snag.gy/XYCtfu.jpg
I assumed this was because the licence I'd purchased had reached the final 1Password4 update and required an upgrade to move onto 1Password6.

I therefore looked into upgrading my licence and I first came across https://1password.com/sign-up/
I wasn't keen on the monthly fee, compared to the one off payment that I original made and I also thought it was odd that I wasn't being offered any sort of upgrade, so I did a bit more digging and came across https://agilebits.com/store where I was entitled to an upgrade for $32.49. I started to go through the signup process, but was told I would have $6.50 sales tax applied for living outside the USA, so looked into the monthly fee option again on https://1password.com/sign-up/
I started to signup to the monthly fee option on https://1password.com/sign-up/ but this seemed a bit different to the 1Password I'm familiar with... I was given a secret key and asked to create a Master Password. I already have a Master Password and feel that this sign up process is aimed at new customers only.

I'm now left confused as to which licence I should purchase... The upgrade on https://agilebits.com/store or the monthly system on https://1password.com/sign-up/
Also, the monthly system has a single user option or family option. The single user option says it can be used on all devices, so I'm not sure how you determine if a single user licence is being used for more than one family member. I currently use 4 different vaults for various businesses that I run, so hopefully a vault ins't considered a family member.

One final question, is that with 1Passsword6 on my Mac, I can switch between vaults without re-entering each vaults password.
On Windows, I'm forever typing huge vault passwords, everytime I switch between a vault.
If I upgrade, does the latest version on Windows allow a single Master Password to switch between all vaults?

I look forward to hearing your response and getting my issues resolved.

Regards,

Kirk

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kwebdesign

Thank you for your interest in 1Password and for wanting to use it on more devices! I'm sorry about the confusion with the different ways in which 1Password can work, it can for sure be tricky! Let me tell you a bit of what you have and what your options are!

The license that you have for 1Password entitles you to install up to 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows. These are the most recent versions of 1Password for local vaults (not part of a subscription). 1Password 6 for Windows was just released this week, it's as new as it can be and for the moment it can only be used with accounts. We do intend to make it available for license users but it needs some more development before it's ready to be used that way. If you want to use 1Password 6 for Windows then you do need an account. Just to be clear, if after reading about the accounts you want to stick with local vaults, you don't need to purchase anything else, you're all set up with the most recent version of the apps :chuffed:

Now, if you do want to try an account you'll need to migrate your data. What you saw about an Account Key and a new Master Password is not because it's aimed at new users but because it's a brand new way to use 1Password, so you need to a bit of setting up to use it. You can read more about the difference between licenses and subscriptions here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/the-difference-between-a-1password-com-account-and-standalone-license#latest

Finally, if you do get an account you still can have as many vaults as you want. About the question of how we'd track how many family members are using it, the data on the account will appear on every device you add the account to. You could technically share your account with your partner if you want to share every single one of the passwords in there, and ultimately up to you :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or there's anything else that you'd like to know about all this!

• kwebdesign
    kwebdesign
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar,

Thanks for your reply...

I like the sound of "Accounts" and would consider the Family option, as it would be useful for my Dad who is becoming a nightmare at keeping track of his passwords and it wouldn't hurt to have a separate vault to my wife.

There is one more thing that concerns me about switching to "Accounts"...

I currently have access to 4 vaults - Personal / Company A / Company B / Company C

Company information...
    Company A is my own business operated from home.
    Company B is a friends business operated from his home. I work closely with the business, but from my home.
    Company C is a Creative Marketing Agency that I'm sub-contracted into. This is the office where I use the Mac licence.

Vault information...
    Personal - Local vault, which isn't shared.
    Company A - Local Vault, which is shared to Company B (Requires access) and Company C (For emergency access).
    Company B - Local Vault (Easier than setting up at Company B), which is shared to Company B (Requires access) and Company C (For emergency access).
    Company C - Remote Vault, shared to Company A (Requires access).

Company B and C are both using their own Single User Mac Licence.
    I've looked into the "Teams" option and I don't think either company would benefit from the features offered.
    Company B consists of a single person and although there are 5 people that access the vault at Company C, everybody accesses the same information and are happy to continue doing so.

If I upgrade to "Accounts" or a "Family Package", how would that affect my current set-up with Company B and C?
    I don't think I'll be able to convince either company to switch to a monthly subscription.

If it's not going to be a problem and Stand-alone Licences can still share their Vaults to "Account" users and vice-versa, then great.
    If not, as I'm considering a "Family Package" and would only need users for myself, my wife and my Dad, could the other two users that I'm paying for, be used for Company B and Company C?
    The catch here would be that the person with Company B, also has a personal vault and besides me, another two out of the 5 people accessing Company C's vault, also have personal vaults.

Whilst writing the last paragraph, it's made me recap on what you've said about tracking single use and family use. You've said you can have multiple vaults, but all data is shared across all devices for a single "Account". So basically, a vault is used to simply group a bunch of passwords and an "Account" is required for each login that's required to display a different set of passwords, whether it be a single vault or multiple vaults.
    If so, I would at least require the "Family Package", as I would want separate passwords for Personal, Company A and possibly Wife and Dad. Company B would probably be happy to use my extra family user, but would that mean I could potentially see Company B's personal vault information as well? It's unlikely Company C will want to have their data stored in an "Account" under my name, but I will discuss their options with them this week, once I've had clarification on the best way forward.

Apologies for so many questions, but it's a fairly complex set-up that I don't want to risk screwing up, before I fully understand the workings of your new system.

Regards,

Kirk

• kwebdesign
    kwebdesign
    Community Member
    Options

(Easier than setting up at Company B)
    WAS MEANT TO READ
    (Easier than setting up at Company B )

• @kwebdesign My apologies for the delay responding to you. There are a lot of details in your post and we wanted to make sure we had understood them well. Let's get started.

If I upgrade to "Accounts" or a "Family Package", how would that affect my current set-up with Company B and C?

You can use an account alongside your existing vaults that are outside the account. Since these two company vaults are shared with others already, you can keep them that way. You could move things to 1Password Teams and share with the companies, but with company B, it would probably require that they also start using a team account. That would be the case if they are sharing the vault with you (it was originally their vault). I'd honestly recommend keeping these separate from your account, and you always can — local vaults are happy alongside accounts.

Whilst writing the last paragraph, it's made me recap on what you've said about tracking single use and family use. You've said you can have multiple vaults, but all data is shared across all devices for a single "Account". So basically, a vault is used to simply group a bunch of passwords and an "Account" is required for each login that's required to display a different set of passwords, whether it be a single vault or multiple vaults.

Hmm, not quite. Accounts are your gateway to 1Password. They store your vaults, which are containers for your passwords, and they give you a way to use 1Password with a subscription on all your devices. You can have unlimited vaults in an account, and if it is a team or family account you can share those vaults with others. The thing is, I wouldn't recommend doing this in your case because of what I mentioned above.

What I would recommend is sharing with your wife. You mentioned this, and it's possible with 1Password Families. For now, start with a single user individual account. You can upgrade to a family anytime and start sharing with your wife. It's best to start simple, though, and dip your foot in. :)

If so, I would at least require the "Family Package", as I would want separate passwords for Personal, Company A and possibly Wife and Dad. Company B would probably be happy to use my extra family user, but would that mean I could potentially see Company B's personal vault information as well?

One thing to note here is that the Company A, B, and C vaults would have their own passwords, but your Master Password would still be used to unlock 1Password on your devices that are using those vaults. So if you share a device with a family member, 1Password can only be unlocked with your Master Password and they will have access to those other vaults if they do use the app on your device.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have some other questions.

• kwebdesign
    kwebdesign
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your reply... Now that I know 1Password Accounts can work along side regular vaults, I think you're right that it would be a good idea to start with an individual account and get to grips with the new system and maybe progress from there.

I signed up to 1Password Account last week, but didn't go any further with it, as I wanted to ask the questions above.
    I've just logged back in and looked at the migrating data page... https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
    The stuff at the top mainly talks about migrating data to a Family or Team account, which I'm not doing.
    Within my accounts Dashboard, I have an empty vault, the option to create a new vault, the option to install apps or add a profile picture.
    I clicked on "Get the apps", but it said "Already use 1Password? You don’t have to reinstall the apps. Just follow our migration guide to set up your new account and transfer your data."

Back on the migration page, I scrolled down a bit further and it starts to talk about getting the apps. I little confusing, considering I ended up on that page, becase the apps page told me that I didn't need to get the apps.
    Anyway, step 1 is "Get 1Password 6 for Windows, install it, and open the app." If you click the "Get 1Password 6 for Windows" link, you are taken to https://1password.com/downloads/, which only has 1Password 4. It's a little dissapointing that it appears no one has actually followed this process.

I went back to https://my.1password.com/apps and ignored the warning about not needing the apps and downloaded 1Password for Windows and it was was 1Password6 this time, although it doesn't state that on the page.
    I signed into 1Password6 and it asked me if I had 1Password data already and if so, I should select it.
    I chose DropBox and signed into DropBox via 1Password6, selected my vault and my passwords appeared.
    However, I returned to my Accounts dashboard and I still have one empty vault and the option to create a new vault.
    I expected to see my passwords listed somewhere within my account.

I went back to the migration page and continued to follow the instructions...
    1) Get 1Password 6 for Windows, install it, and open the app. - Done!
    2) Select “Sign in to your 1Password Account” on the welcome screen. If you’re using a proxy server, first select (Settings) and enter your proxy details. Done!
    3) In your browser, sign in to your account on 1Password.com. Done!
    4) Click your account name in the top right and choose Get the Apps. Done!
    5) Drag your QR code to the 1Password window. Done!
    6) Enter your Master Password and select “Sign in”. Done!
    During step 6, it briefly clears the password field, shows an error saying you "Must enter a password" and then goes through to the safe.
    My passwords are already in there from linking up to DropBox. Maybe I missed the request for the QR code in Step 1 and should have avoided linking to DropBox?

Anyway, still no sign of my passwords in my Accounts dashboard, so I continued with the migration instructions...
    1) Select (Settings) > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open Vault. Done!
    2) Select your .opvault or .agilekeychain folder, click OK, then enter the password for that vault. Done!
    At this stage, I ended up with duplicates for everythings, because I'd imported the DropBox data originally and then the folder data.
    I followed the instructions to "Remove the old vault from 1Password6" and this resolved my duplication problem.
    3) Select the item you want to copy. Select multiple items by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on them. Select all of the items by pressing Ctrl+A after clicking one of the items in the list. Done!
    4) Click Copy and choose the vault you want to copy the data into. Done!
    I now have my passwords within my Accounts dashboard and I've repeated the "Remove the old vault from 1Password6" for the DropBox data as well, to get rid of my duplicates within the 1Password6 app.

There is quite a delay when trying to import a new safe from DropBox and when waiting for the password to load in. It might be because I have a lot of files in DropBox or a lot of passwords in my safe, but it would be good in the user was notified that something was happening.
    I'm guessing I don't need to select the other vaults from DropBox and can just select the keychains from my local folders, as the DropBox software on my machine is already taking care of synchronising that data?

I must admit, it's going to be very convenient not having to re-enter each vaults password when switching between vaults on Windows.

I haven't forgotten that 1Password6 has only been released within the last week and there are bound to be some issues.
    Apart from moaning about the migration instructions sending you round in circles about whether or not to get the app or not, the rest of my comments are just feedback, so that you can see how a real user follows your instructions and interacts with your software.
    I've worked in software testing and currently work as a developer, so I understand how valuable this feedback can be, however annoying it can be.

More questions I'm afraid...

I'm assuming I can just deleted my Personal Keychain now, including any data relating to this within my DropBox account?
    Now that I have copied this into Accounts, all of the data is stored on your servers and is backed up?

I've been looking in my 1Password folders and I can see various backups for each safe, but they don't seem to be daily and some are older than others. I've detailed the most recent 3 safe backups below...
    Company A - 2016-10-07 / 2016-10-04 / 2016-10-03
    Company B - 2016-10-11 / 2016-10-08 / 2016-09-30
    Company C - 2016-07-23 / 2016-07-21 / 2014-09-13
    According to the settings within 1Password, the backups are meant to be daily, so are you able to tell me why there are gaps between the dates?
    Company A and Company B Vaults were set up on my Windows Computer at Home, so I guess the backups for this have been working OK, until my recent error alerts.
    Company C's Vault was set up on the Mac at my office, so I guess the issue here is with the software on the Mac, but it doesn't appear to be alerting me to a problem with the backups.

The purpose of me making any changes to my 1Password set-up, was to resolve the backup error messages that I've been receiving.
    As mentioned above, I'm assuming my Personal Vault data has been taken care of now and is being backed up via Account.
    I also want to resolve the backup problem with Company A's Vault though, as that is my business.
    I will eventually pass all of this information onto Company B and Company C and it's up to them if they want to upgrade to Accounts.
    I realise that I could import Company A's Vault into my 1Password Account, but I'm assuming I can't share a Vault within my 1Password Account with anyone that is using a stand-alone copy of 1Password. (E.g. Company B and Company C)

I therefore still need to resolve the backup problems with the stand-alone copies of 1 Password.
    These are licenced copies of the software, so they should really function correctly.
    Especially 1Password 6 for Mac, as that is the most recent version.
    I will investigate why Company C's vault hasn't been backed up since July when I go into the office today.
    Maybe I didn't reconfigure the backups after a re-install of Mac OSX, which is why no errors have occured.
    I will update you on this.

Regards,

Kirk

• kwebdesign
    kwebdesign
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so 1Password6 on the Mac is backing up Company C's data.
    It's just backing it up locally.
    Unlike 1Password4 for Windows, 1Password6 on Mac doesn't appear to allow you to select the backup location.

Also, 1Password6 for Windows doesn't appear to let you edit a login. :(

• @kwebdesign Thanks for the feedback. There are certainly some areas we can improve, and the ones you've mentioned are being worked on. :) Let's jump into the questions.

1Password6 for Windows doesn't appear to let you edit a login.

You can edit and add new items in vaults that are in your account. I'm sorry this wasn't more clear from Pilar's post. 1Password 6 for Windows supports accounts more than vaults outside of accounts. It may be best for you to continue using 1Password as you have without an account until the app gains full support for local vaults.

The purpose of me making any changes to my 1Password set-up, was to resolve the backup error messages that I've been receiving.

We should work on this instead, then. To get a better idea of what the issue is, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your PC?

How to send a diagnostics report from your PC

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• kwebdesign
    kwebdesign
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID Number is #UXE-85446-677

Thanks for your help with this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kwebdesign: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: UXE-85446-677

This discussion has been closed.