Difference between account and license

This discussion was created from comments split from: Difference between $5 monthly fee and $64.99 one time fee?.

Comments

• rebg
    rebg
    Community Member

It took a bit of time for me to figure out the two different pricing models but I think I've got it now. You might want to reconsider the name "1Password for Families" because it makes it sound as though even if one would prefer a subscription model, they can't/shouldn't sign up for this option if they are just an individual. IOW, the "standard" vs "families" option as it maps onto the "license" vs. "subscription" model is a bit muddied.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rebg: Indeed. That's why we offer individual plans too! 1Password subscriptions began with 1Password for Teams. If you had any idea how often we were asked for this service by various companies you'd understand why we built it. When we introduced it in beta last year, many people used it for their families and asked for family pricing, so the obvious next step was 1Password for Families subscriptions. I'm sure you can imagine what the next big request was at that point, by individuals who weren't living with a family, so now we have something for all three groups. :chuffed:

Can I ask which you decided to go with, a license or subscription? It sounds like you may have done both, and I just want to make sure you're all set and don't run into any issues down the road. Thanks in advance! :)

• rebg
    rebg
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. I think I've ended up with just a license, and also with an individual plan, but I got a bit bogged down in the distinction between a primary vs. personal vault and so am still a bit unclear, if only slightly. The first impression I had was that an account only has BOTH a primary and personal vault if one is using a subscription/family&team plan (so that the admin or organizer has a personal account to keep separate from the group). But my account details do not otherwise seem to indicate that I've signed up for a subscription in addition to the license, so I think I am all set.

I appreciate the link you sent! Yes, this makes it crystal clear that there are three groups! Has 1password considered putting this link on the main page? I've searched many of the pages and help forums in my search for answers and haven't come across this until you've sent it just now. It's not, eg, in the features page (even after clicking "take the tour") nor on the pricing page, and "individual" is not listed as a plan option in navigator bar along the top.

There are also other ways that the website is set up that were a bit confusing:

• The pricing page only shows subscription options. This is where my confusion came from originally, because I bought the license after my 30-day trial, but then found the pricing page which only lists subscriptions.

• If you click on the "pricing" tab FROM the teams page (that is, if you are on the teams page, and then select pricing in the navigation bar), the page that comes up is for teams subscription pricing. This is not the case if you click on the pricing from any of the other pages. (Perhaps it's just my computer?) This added to my confusion about what/where the individual plans were.

• After I bought the license, I was directed to (or found) a link about moving my existing 1password data to a 1password account. I wasn't really sure why this was necessary (I had assumed that my existing data from the 30-day trial would just "become" the account), but clicked on the link for instructions. On this new webpage, the top two lines of text state that the page is about moving existing data/vaults to a new account, which is fine. However, the tutorial that is front-and-centre is about migrating to a family or team account, thus adding more confusion about the distinctions between individual and family/team. IOW, the position of the tutorial suggests that only family/team subscribers need to migrate existing data/vaults to accounts.

Clearly, I've gone a bit off track for this thread, and perhaps the website dev folks would find some of this feedback more useful. As it stands, my data seem to have all been successfully migrated into the new account. I do know that I have purchased a license and think that I have not also signed up for a subscription. My account has both a primary and personal account, but I think that is standard for a license account. If that all sound about right to you, then I'm all set!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rebg: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your setup.

No worries about "getting off topic" here. We're always trying to make things clearer. The feedback on this is greatly appreciated and, most of all, we're only able to help with this if you bring it up!

Honestly, I think you're pretty exceptional in the sense that most people aren't trying to look at everything at once. They just go to the website and select "Teams" if they're a business (which is the only way you'll end up at pricing information for that), or go directly to the "Pricing" page choose between an individual and Family plan if it's just for personal use (at the bottom is information on licenses). After all, most people don't need or want all the advanced features of 1Password Teams. So clicking the "Sign Up" button for either of those will take you to the appropriate page...but if you click the agnostic "Sign Up" button in the top right corner, it takes you to the page I linked.

Anyway, I think there may be some slight confusion. Let's ignore the question of vaults for a moment and establish which you'd prefer: a standalone license for the desktop version, or a subscription which includes all of them. Then we can make sure we get everything setup the way you want it.

It sounds like you prefer the license, which you've already purchased. However, it seems like you're also using the 1Password Account you created for the subscription service. If you login to an account, you're using the subscription. And the Personal vault is part of that account. The Primary vault, on the other hand, is local: it is not part of the account you made with the subscription service, and your data will not go to any other devices unless you configure sync.

So, just to clarify, you can do the following only using the subscription service:

• Access your data through 1Password.com
    • Login to your 1Password Account to setup the app on each device
    • Unlock all of the 1Password apps without an additional purchase

So I guess the question is, which devices are you trying to use 1Password on? If it's only computers, then the license is all you need. But you should be sure to copy your data into the Primary vault and logout of the 1Password Account if you're not going to subscribe, in order to avoid further confusion. That's the simplest scenario.

However, if you'd like to use 1Password on multiple platforms, you'll need to choose between paying for the individual apps and then syncing your own data, or subscribing so that all of that is automatic and included.

So it's really just two options: license or subscription. If you go with a subscription, you just pay based on the plan you need. It's only necessary to migrate data to a 1Password Account if you're going to subscribe. So let me know what you'd like to do and I'll walk you through it. :)

This discussion has been closed.