I accidentally typed my 1password password into the url bar.

petosky5
petosky5
Community Member

Do I need to change it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I accidentally typed my 1password password into the url bar. Do I need to change it?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@petosky5: Strictly speaking, probably not. However, it's best not to take any chances with your most sensitive data. If it were me, my concern would be that, in most cases, the browser is using what you type in the address bar to return search or site suggestions, and it often isn't clear how secure and private that is. If you've disabled that, you should be okay. But if you're not sure, and are unwilling to accept the risk, then changing your Master Password is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

There are bigger issues to worry about in my opinion. For example, the clipboard now goes to iCloud. I've copied and pasted password.etc. and they show up from Mobile Safari into Chrome search boxes.

• There are bigger issues to worry about in my opinion. For example, the clipboard now goes to iCloud. I've copied and pasted password.etc. and they show up from Mobile Safari into Chrome search boxes.

Sure. And that may be a concern. But to me they are just random strings of gibberish with no context. I'll post one of my passwords here:

rwgdCdDd39FkjqPzzJ]K

There is no way of anyone knowing what (if any) account that is a password for. Or even that it is a password. So there probably isn't much if any harm in having passwords on your clipboard, unless they also have context.

E.x. it would probably be bad if your Amazon password was AmazingAmazonP@$$123, as now someone could potentially pull context from that. It almost literally says that it is your Amazon password in the password. But without any context...

Ben

This discussion has been closed.