Change item type

wturrell
wturrell
Community Member

(Applicable to iOS and Mac)

How can I change the "type" of an already entered item? Invariably this is from "password" to "login" and involves none of the other more complex categories, having say right-clicked and chosen Generate Password, but now wanting to add a URL or username.

On iOS, if the URL isn't there you're effectively stranded on the share screen because there's no way to search for other records…

Thanks,
William

Comments

• Hi William,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The category an item is in cannot be changed. The only way to do so would be to create a new item of the desired type and then manually copy the details over to the new item.

Note that on Mac if you use the browser extension to generate a password for a site, and then subsequently save a login item using that generated password, the Mac will automatically tidy up that password item.

Thanks!

Ben

• bkb
    bkb
    Community Member

I would really like this as a feature.. I imported over 800 passwords, logins, serial numbers, etc from Splash ID and most of my 'memberships' have imported as Secure Notes..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It isn't something that 1Password was designed to do, but it may be a feature we can add in a future version. Thanks for letting us know!

• PJE56
    PJE56
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

This comment belongs in the MacOS section, but I'm sure the same applies to IOS.

This is a big problem and a major design flaw. I've designed and developed software for nearly 40 years and can't believe that this software was designed such that changing an item type "isn't something that 1Password was designed to do." I've switched from SpashID which I used for 15 years to 1Password. The SpashID import doesn't function correctly (or at all for the current version), so importing an older version results in all items imported as Bank Account type in my case. I certainly don't plan on manually entering 823 items.

• @wturrell Thanks for taking the time to write in. As @ben touched on above, you can actually take any Password item and convert it into a Login item in 1Password for Mac (iOS doesn't have this feature yet). Hopefully that will get you rolling in this particular case.

• @bkb and @PJE56, you're right. There are a number of reasons being able to change the category of an item would be useful and, especially in your cases, it's debilitating not to be able to do so. All I can say on that front is that we're considering it for a future update.

In this case, not being able to change categories is a symptom of a larger problem: SplashID import. I chatted with the other developers about this problem and it's possible that SplashID exported its information in a way that 1Password cannot currently interpret correctly. @ag_kevin should be popping in here soon to follow up with you.

• Hi @PJE56 ,

When you said "or at all for the current version", did it just beep and not import anything? If so, that may just be an encoding issue. We have a fix coming out soon to automatically detect Try exporting from SplashID again with the latest version, without encryption.

Then do the following:

1. Open the TextEdit application
    2. When the prompt appears, open your .vid file
    3. When the file opens, hold down the Option key and choose "Save As…" from the File menu.
    4. Change the Plain Text Encoding Type to "Unicode (UTF-8)"
    5. Uncheck the checkbox that says "If not extension is provided, use…"
    6. Name the file "newimport.vid" (or anything.vid) and save the file.

Try to import that new file into 1Password. It should work this time. If it still does not work, please let us know what happened.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• PJE56
    PJE56
    Community Member

Kevin,
    Your suggestion to change the text encoding worked. Previously I would get the "beep" trying to import. One thing to note is that the current version of Splash ID (8.1.x) only allows exporting a .VID file with encryption. I had to export my data from SplashID version 8.1.0.944, then delete the app and install an older version 7.2.2 which makes encrypting the exported file an option.

I find the Item Types perplexing: Once an item is created it's type can't be changed. The fixed list of Item Types seems to have some rather odd choices and omissions. For example Social Security Numbers (makes the software USA specific) why not make the Identity Type more general and make the data fields more flexible, plus how many SSNs would you have? For the family a few but it just seems odd. The same goes for the Passport item which fits into the Identity Type. Using the existing facilities just create an Identity Type with a Tag "Passport" the create a Smart folder the used the "Passport" tag as a selector.

Why is there no "Serial Number" Type? All my serial numbered items (computers, camera gear, guns, etc) were imported into the Software License Type. It would make more sense to have a Serial Number type then tag it for filtering to a sub category. My only option currently is to tag all my camera gear with a "camera" tag and create a smart folder. The current Types just seems turned around backwards.

• Thanks for the update @PJE56! Glad to hear Kevin's suggestion was helpful. Admittedly the categories we currently have were chosen many moons ago with whatever assumptions we had back then and haven't much changed since then. It is definitely an area where we'd like to make improvements, but doing so is a huge project. It requires a coordinated effort between all of the development teams we have here at AgileBits. So while it is unlikely we'll see anything here in the short term it is definitely on the long term radar.

We appreciate the feedback!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.