1Password is noted as available for Family Sharing on Apple. How can I make it work?

Options
margb
margb
Community Member

It took a lot of effort and a call to Apple to get 1Password to download to my husband's laptop. Now I can't figure out how to allow him to access my vault - the app seems to think he is not signed in to iCloud, though he is. Can you help?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:1Password is noted as available for Family Sharing on Apple. How can I make it work?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@margb: 1Password, like anything from the App Store, does not store its data as part of the app itself. If it did, then folks who used Family Sharing with their kids would be giving them all of their data. Maybe not the best idea ever! ;)

Instead, Family Sharing allows the organizer to share purchased apps, movies, etc. with the family, so that you can install and use it without having to buy it yourself. It is possible to sync data with iCloud, but only using the same Apple ID. Data cannot be shared between separate iCloud accounts. You could, however, use dropbox to sync and share a vault.

1Password sync options

However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password Account sign up

There's even a family plan, which includes all of the apps for up to 5 members, and the ability to easily share data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.