Documents not working due to damaged EFS Data Recovery Agent certificate

tomfroh
tomfroh
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Dear Support,

unfortunally the Documents-Categorie seams to have severe bugs:

All downloaded documents are corrupted. Uploading a document ist not working at all, either drag & drop or from selected file.

In the Webbrowser on 1password.com all Documents are OK, I can upload and download all files.

Please fix this.

Regards Thomas

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 6.1.272d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1607 14393.321
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Hi @tomfroh,

How does this behaviour present itself?
    With 6.1.272d support for Documents has been added and works fine on my end.

Any details you can give us without revealing personal information would be appreciated.

Thanks

• tomfroh
    tomfroh
    Community Member

Hi @AlexHoffmann,

did you test it on Windows 10 1607? Both my PC and my Laptop have the same problem with 1P Documents. All downloaded documents (for instance a PDF file or a JPG file) shows as corrupted with 1Password6 Windows 6.1.272d.
    The files however are OK, I can download it in 1Password for macOS or in the webbrowser successfully. Upload a file to Documents with 6.1.272d are also not possible, nothing happens.

I did use beta versions of 1PW before on both Windows 10 machines.

Thanks.

• @tomfroh can you please right click on 1Password icon in the taskbar notification area and choose "Exit 1Password". Then start it again and try to download a document.

My theory is that you might have 1Password app started under different user (most likely SYSTEM). When 1Password saves document, it uses Encrypted File System (EFS), so only apps running from under the same user will be able to see content of that file. By restarting 1Password we can guarantee that it's running from the same user from which you are trying to access downloaded documents. Hope that helps, please let us know how if that worked for you.

• tomfroh
    tomfroh
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile This does't help.

• @tomfroh when you check Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc to start), do you see AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe running under the yours account?

Can you please pick copy of any text or image file, go to it's properties and turn on Encrypt flag? That is what 1Password app doing when saving decrypted file to disk. After closing Properties dialog, can you still access file and see expected content?

• tomfroh
    tomfroh
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe is running under my useraccount. My Computers are in our company Domain. There was a problem with the EFS Data Recovery Agent certificate, which I had to fix.
    (https://mizitechinfo.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/step-by-step-encrypting-user-data-with-efs-in-windows-server-2012-r2/).
    EFS is now working on the Computers of our Domain. Downloading a document with the 1Password Client is now working too :)

But I still cannot upload any documents to 1P, any suggestions?

Thanks for putting me in the right direction.

• Thanks for letting us know of that EFS issue @tomfroh :)

Let's get to uploading part, I assume you are following these steps:

1. create Document item
    2. drag some file over document icon or click on that icon to select a file to upload
    3. click Save

There is lack of visual feedback after you select a file to upload, it looks like nothing happens. Try click Save button and you shall have document uploaded shortly.

P.S. There is multiple documents upload available on Beta channel, you can subscribe for Beta If you'd like to get beta updates now, you can apply to join our beta team here.

• tomfroh
    tomfroh
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile It was indeed the lack of visual feedback, after clicking save the file was uploaded.. I think, the file should show after drop and before clicking save?!

I will apply to joing the beta team.

I really appreciate your great help! :)

• Sergey's awesome, right?

We're looking forward to you joining the beta team and getting more of your feedback!

Cheers,

Alex

• Hi @tomfroh,

Just to follow up, we will fix the UI to refresh with the filename as soon as you add it. It's not intentional to be like this.

• tomfroh
    tomfroh
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

this is great, thank you!

• You're welcome, @tomfroh.

We're hoping to have this done soon.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.