Master password confusion - different passwords on different devices

yjb
yjb
Community Member

I'm not sure which forum to post this to. I have been a 1Password user for over a year now and am very happy with the product. I recently subscribed to 1PW for families (original product purchase was 1PW4 for windows) and established a master password when I set up my account that was different than the password I used with 1PW4. I set up my vaults and copied my data from my original 1pw4 vault. Everything good so far.

My devices and desktop applications still end up using the original 1PW4 password. I only need my new password to login to ...1password.com.

As I get more comfortable with 1PW for families, I decide to remove my 1PW4 data from my iOS devices. I find directions to delete my original vault on my iOS devices. I delete all data, then reconnect to my 1PW for families account on my iOS devices.

Some days later, I need to login again and find that I need to use my new 1pw for families password on my iOS devices, but my desktop application still uses my older 1PW4 password to login.

On the Security tab of 1PW6 for windows (my desktop client), under Master Password, it says "This will update the password to unlock 1Password on this device and will not update any 1Password accounts or remote vaults."

On my iOS device under the Settings->Security section, Change Master Password says "Please change your account password in Settings-> 1Password Accounts", where under my account name, there is a button to "Change Password".

These two interfaces seem inconsistent.

Is there a way for me to set up my iOS devices with my original password so all my interfaces can use the same password and I can have a different password for my account login?

I hope I'm clear enough about what my situation is.

1Password Version: 6..1.272d and 6.4.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Win7 SP1, iOS10
Sync Type: 1PW server?

Comments

• Hi @yjb! Thanks for posting about this. I'm sorry for the Master Password trouble. It sounds like the issue a bit more broad. You're still using 1Password 4 on your computer in some areas, from what you mentioned. Did you uninstall it after moving your data over to your family account? If not, 1Password 4 may still be what is used for the browser extension. I'd recommend uninstalling it to solve the Master Password inconsistency.

You can uninstall 1Password by going to Control Panel -> “Uninstall a program”. Select 1Password 4, tap or click Uninstall, and follow the on-screen instructions. Now the extension will use your account and 1Password 6. Does that solve the Master Password issue as well? :)

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member

@Jacob - Well, my Programs and Features indicates that I only have 1PW6 installed on my laptop. In that application which I noted the version of in the original post, the description under the Options->Security tab for Master Password says "This will update the password to unlock 1Password on this device and will not update any 1Password accounts or remote vaults." To me, this implies that my Account ** Master Password and my **Device Master Password are and can be different, which is okay with me (probably preferred).

The iOS implementation seems to change both the device and account password at the same time which is inconsistent with the desktop/Windows implementation.

Is there a way for me to have an iOS device unlock password that is different than my account password as was the case when I first installed the family edition?

• @yjb Ah, thanks for clarifying. Updating the Master Password in 1Password 6 for Windows does only update it on that device. To update it on your other devices, you need to sign in from 1Password.com and change your Master Password by clicking your account name in the top right, then My Profile. Sorry about that. We're hoping to resolve this soon.

Is there a way for me to have an iOS device unlock password that is different than my account password as was the case when I first installed the family edition?

It is possible, but not necessary and would complicate things further. I'd recommend sticking with the same Master Password across your devices.

This discussion has been closed.