WiFi hack

dwk
dwk
Community Member

Hi,

there are many wifi routers in my town and I accidentally connected my laptop through someone else's wifi - it was not password protected

I disconnected the wifi after around 10 seconds. Would it be possible for the owner of that wifi did something to my laptop during the brief moment I was connected? Or possibly did something to threaten my laptop in anyway ?

I can't sleep before I know my laptop and my wifi router is secure !!!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dwk: It's certainly possible, but unlikely, given the hurdles:

• They'd have to either be waiting for you or have setup automated systems to attack your device.
    • If you were only connected for 10 seconds, it sounds like you probably didn't teven have time to transmit anything sensitive.
    • Even if you'd logged in to a website, this would almost certainly be a secure connection.
    • There are always OS and browser flaws, but they are often difficult to exploit, and being up to date on security patches means you won't be vulnerable to well-known flaws that have already been fixed.

Most exploits take time and require some solid planning, execution, and (often) luck. That said, if you're on a Mac, be sure you update to macOS 10.12.1; always keep up with Windows updates religiously if you're on a PC; likewise for iOS and Android; and don't have Flash or Java installed on your system, as those are easily exploited.

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member

That's relief !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. Always better to be safe than sorry! :sunglasses: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.