after switch to Family, new vaults have gone missing

greenday
greenday
Community Member

I decided to trial Family last night. Made a new 1P account, got things set up on my laptop using the nifty QR method. I made two new vaults that I intended to share, and I moved content into them (not copied). I didn't send any invitations. The remaining content, I let stay in the Primary vault, intending to finish things today on my laptop, iMac and mobile devices.

However, when I got up this morning, my laptop would boot. I think it did an automatic OS update overnight that must have gone all pear-shaped. I'm working on the laptop boot problem now. Happy Friday to me :(

Anyway, I connected my iMac's 1P standalone app with the new 1P account using the QR code method. I was surprised that the two new vaults I set up last night didn't show up in the app or in Preferences. They don't show up in the web browser after sign in. The content that I moved into the two new vaults is no longer in my Primary account or my Personal account, which I guess is correct behavior. On the iMac, I moved all my Primary content into Personal. Not sure why I thought that would make things better. But that's where it stands now.

When I was using the standalone apps, I used Dropbox to sync among devices. I'm not sure what OS or 1P version my laptop was running (since it's in a coma) but probably very close to or the same as the iMac (below).

1. I don't know how to recover the content in the two vaults I made last night. Should I restore from standalone app backup? I'm reluctant to try anything without advice since I'm fuzzy on how Family thinks/operates. So what to do and how to do it?

2. On that note, is there a page about the big picture on how this all works? I was under the assumption that when I signed up for Family, my vaulted data would get stored on 1P servers instead of Dropbox. And so I had the idea that after I connected my desktop standalone app to my 1P account, it would have access to the new vaults. Is that assumption wrong, or did the 1P site never receive the vault data?

PS. While writing this, both Chrome and Safari had errors in autosaving which froze this window. I've had to reload the page and retype this three times. Don't know if that's your forum's architecture or if Chrome and Safari are conspiring to make my day just a little more challenging.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @greenday! I'm very sorry to hear about your computer, and about the migration issues. I see you emailed you us about this, and I'd prefer to discuss things there since your account is private and this is a public forum. We'll get this sorted out and get you moving again. Talk to you soon via email.

ref: YZR-71977-666

While writing this, both Chrome and Safari had errors in autosaving which froze this window. I've had to reload the page and retype this three times. Don't know if that's your forum's architecture or if Chrome and Safari are conspiring to make my day just a little more challenging.

Our forum was experiencing some hiccups yesterday. I expect they're resolved at this point, but if you do see them again please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.