Extremely Slow Chrome Extension

Options

When I click on the Chrome Extension and hover my mouse over "Logins", my Chrome freezes for about a full minute before it becomes responsive again. It happens on every reboot. It also happens when hover my mouse over "Favorites" but to a lesser degree. If you can't fix this, at least give the option to remove "Logins" and "Favorites" so I don't accidentally hover these items.

It's extremely annoying to start off my morning like this every single day.
I do have Help -> Advanced -> Tune for Max Performance already checked.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.190
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 10586.633
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@komocode: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Are you perhaps using the OPVault format? That does use more intensive crypto operations, so it's noticeably slower.

Does this only happen with Logins and Favorites? If so, what's the item count in each of these when you view them in the main 1Password app?

It definitely sounds frustrating to encounter that delay when hovering over those inadvertently, morning or otherwise! Perhaps it would help avoid that (and speed things up when it comes to finding what you're looking for) to use search instead: you can bring up the 1Password extension by pressing Ctrl Alt \, and then if you just start typing it will do a search. Let me know if this helps! :)

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member
    Options

I am using OPVault! I don't recall why I switched over, but note that I am also using macOS and iOS.

Favorites has 12 items. Login has 1302 items. Favorites is noticeably faster, but probably takes about 30 seconds to show compared to 1 minute, so it's still a hassle when I hover over it.

Ctrl Alt \ is a hit or miss, sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Right now I just did it try search. I closed the search window, and pressed Ctrl Alt \ again, search no longer appears. I don't know why.

Will 1Password non-team 6 be faster? I don't mind if it takes a while to load, but don't want it to freeze my Chrome tab while it loads. Maybe clicking out should cancel the loading or something.

I don't understand why it's super slow in Windows, but it's extremely snappy in macOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@komocode: I'm really sorry for the inconvenience and frustration there! Indeed, 1Password for Mac and iOS use an internal database to improve performance. 1Password for Windows version 4 predates that approach, so it is — as you point out — noticeably slower (on the same hardware even, if you use a VM).

The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is using a similar internal database approach, built with Microsoft's latest technologies, so it's is a lot faster. It isn't optimized yet either, so we'll continue to improve it. I can't say for certain what the end result will be, performance-wise, for full local vault support, but read-only support for local vaults is already present and it's much faster. We'll be adding full local vault support in a future version, so while it may not be the same as 1Password Account vaults (which use a newer format), it will almost certainly still be a big improvement over 1Password 4.

That said, while it will depend on the hardware, 30 seconds or a minute does sound a bit over the top. Can you tell me the specs of this machine? Is this using a hard disk or SSD? My entry level Surface Pro 4 is snappy but not particularly efficient, and it sounds like you're encountering more trouble than I have there.

The tab freezing you describe doesn't sound normal. Do you have the same problem in other browsers? Apart from the speed limitations of 1Password 4, the browser itself hanging due to the extension seems like maybe there's a deeper issue there. And the fact that the keyboard shortcut doesn't respond all of the time seems to point in that direction as well. Let me know what you find!

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member
    Options

Running Skylake 6700k i7 with 32GB of RAM and a Samsung 850 1TB SSD drive. I'm using the same machine for my Hackintosh if that makes any difference.

I only use Chrome so I can't say for certain if it happens in other browsers. I'll give Internet Explorer a try.

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I just did a cold reboot and tried Internet Explorer. The "Logins" list took 40-ish seconds to open. Favorites opened in about 6 seconds. Faster than Chrome, but still quite unbearable if I accidentally hover over the "Logins" list.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@komocode: Wow. Thank you. You've got a lot more hardware at your disposal (and 1Password's) than I do, so it really makes less and less sense that you'd be having worse performance than my lowly tablet.

That said, there are a few more things that come to mind. After all, there's got to be some explanation as to why it's slow and freezing for you:

• What do you see when you hover over the Logins list? If you have any Logins assigned to folders, you should see the folders first, and then you'd only see the list of all of your Logins if you continue and hover over, for example, Unassigned. So a workaround may be to create a folder and assign a Login to it — perhaps a dummy.
    • Do you have "security" software running whose real-time scanning may be slowing down crypto operations?
    • What is the exact version of Chrome you're using?
    • Do you have other Chrome extensions which may be interfering?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss to explain this, as your system should be an order of magnitude faster than any of mine, I'd think. Thanks for your patience and willingness to troubleshoot this. We've got a lot of improvements coming in 1Password 6, but sadly that is still a ways off for local vaults.

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member
    Options

THANK YOU! I just put all logins into a single folder and now Logins only show a couple of items instantly. I've untagged my favorites because those were still taking too long. I think this will hold me over until version 6 comes out.

To answer your other questions

• I've tried disabling Avast + Windows Defender -> Reboot -> tried again. Still really slow loading.
    • Running Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 m (64-bit)
    • I did have several other extensions running on Chrome, but I did disable all except for 1Password. Same problem still existed. I did not have any other addons installed in Internet Explorer, and still had the same issue (although it was a bit faster).

Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for trying that. I'm sorry that the problem still exists even after all of that, but I'm glad the folder workaround will help in the mean time. We're pretty limited in what we can do to improve these things in 1Password 4's aging codebase, but because of that we're very aware of its limitations and avoiding the same issues with 1Password 6. We'll look into this in case there's something else we can do though.

This discussion has been closed.