Chrome - Not Updating Existing Passwords

quinstack
quinstack
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Greetings,

I'm a new user who just got 1Password for Windows on my PC with the Chrome extension. I've been watching the videos and reading the FAQs and whatnot, going through the process of signing into accounts so that they save my current password, then going back and using the password generator to make a stronger, better password.

When watching the YouTube tutorials, it seems like 1Password for Mac brings up a prompt of "Update existing password" when a user changes their password. However, my experience on Windows has not been that way. 1Password doesn't seem to recognize the change, which necessitates me to go into 1Password and update the password manually. Not the worst problem in the world, but also kind of annoying.

Does 1Password for Windows have the ability to recognize that I'm updating a password or is this only for Mac?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@quinstack: It depends on which version you're using. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to be more specific. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

http://support.1password.com/cs/version/

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble with specific sites? If so, be sure to let us know the URL so we can test it and try to improve things. Thanks in advance! :)

• quinstack
    quinstack
    Community Member

Sorry about not leaving specific info!

I'm running Windows 10, 1Password 6.1.286d, most up-to-date Chrome browser (Version 54.0.2840.71 m), and the 1Password extension for Chrome -- I think version 4.6.1.90.

What I did was follow this page - https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/ to make some of my passwords stronger, but was finding that once I clicked "save changes" in Facebook, I didn't get the prompt to "update existing" in 1Password - https://i.1pw.ca/media/images/update-existing.jpg

So then I'd have to make sure that I had the new stronger password saved to my clipboard, go into 1Password myself and change my old Facebook password into the new one.

If there's anymore information needed, I'll do my best to answer!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@quinstack: Ah, no problem. Thanks for letting me know! Unfortunately the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not yet have password update prompts, but this is something we'll be adding in an update. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and confusion that's caused you! We're working hard on adding this (and other features). :blush:

• quinstack
    quinstack
    Community Member

@brenty Makes sense! Glad to know and I'm excited for what future updates bring :) Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for bringing this up! It's helpful to know which features you miss most, so we can prioritize what we're working on. Have a great weekend! :)

• JaVae
    JaVae
    Community Member

Hi, any idea on a timeline for the Update Prompt? This feels like a very basic feature, and essential after finally convincing a family member to stop using easy passwords all the time. It's annoying to change your bad password on a site and then manually go into 1P to update the password field...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @JaVae,

We always try to tread carefully with future announcements, because it is almost impossible to forecast anything, especially when it comes to software development. Sometimes, even the smallest feature requires big under-the-hood improvements and vice-versa. We are working really hard to make 1Password 6 great and the progress is fantastic, but it takes time, so I don't have any timeframe for Update Prompt at this point. I hope for your understanding.

As Brenty mentioned above, it is really helpful to know what features our customers need most. This way we can prioritize. You can stay up to date with the latest 1Password 6 changes here.

Thank you for using 1Password and reaching out to us! We appreciate it! If you have other questions about the state of 1Password 6 or 1Password in general, we are here for you. :)

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.