Considering upgrade to 1password 6

Roger_WH
Roger_WH
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've been using 1password for awhile and I'm considering migrating from the standalone 1password 4 on windows to 1password 6, but I'm trying to find more information. I've been perusing the forums but I'm still not getting a very clear picture of how 1password 6 works. It seems very different than the way I've been working with 1password in the past and I don't quite understand the effects of the upgrade. I could continue with version 4, but perhaps 6 offers new advantages. I've been looking for a FAQ or a side-by-side comparison of the two versions to explain the difference. Please post a link if this information exists.

My main data file is on dropbox. Some of the questions I'm seeking answers for is if I should I perform a backup of my data file before I upgrade? Does my data get stored in a new cloud-based location? If so, will this limit my access to it without an internet connection? How will my ipad app access the data? Does my firefox extension work with 1password 6? Is this the future of 1password, meaning if I don't migrate now will I be forced to migrate at some future time?

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Roger_WH: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion!

The most important difference between the two is that 1Password 4 is a mature app with full support for local vaults; whereas 1Password 6 is a brand new app which supports 1Password Accounts for the subscription service:

1Password.com

That's why there isn't a side by side comparison: they're two very different apps at this stage. We'll be adding full local vault support to the new app in a future version too, but for now there's no need for it unless you're using the subscription service.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.