Which fields are searched in Web and Android?

Options
pjnagel
pjnagel
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Business and Teams

I notice that on the *.1password.com Web interface and the Android App, only item titles and the first field of an entry are searched. The website field is searched for some items, but not for all, which is weird.

On the Mac app there is at least a "Search all fields" option, which ameliorates this issues.

This is a usability issue, because team members can't use a password if they can't find it. The URL/hostname of an entry is especially likely to be the thing people search on when they use the web interface, so we would really like the url (or urls, if multiple are loaded) to be searched on.

It would be good, when creating/updating and item, to see some indication (on the web, android, and app) of which fields will be searchable by your audience.

Related to this, we are considering to consolidate our server asset registry information in 1password, so that not just login info, but support contracts, asset tags etc. are available to people when they deal with server-related support crises.

But for this to work, we need to know which fields are searchable, otherwise 1password is more of a write-only medium.

1Password Version: current Web version
_Extension Version: N/A
_OS Version:
N/A
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• pjnagel
    pjnagel
    Community Member
    Options

Don't know how this question ended under the Android topic, since it relates to 1password for Teams primarily, and then the non-Mac Web/Android UIs to 1password for teams secondarily.

• Hi @pjnagel! Great question. I'm sorry it got moved to the Android category — it is definitely more team-related and I moved it there. So let's jump in.

This is a usability issue, because team members can't use a password if they can't find it. The URL/hostname of an entry is especially likely to be the thing people search on when they use the web interface, so we would really like the url (or urls, if multiple are loaded) to be searched on.

We're working to make search more consistent across the platforms. Right now you are correct, it only searches some fields on 1Password.com and the Android app. Those fields are simply the title and username.

It would be good, when creating/updating and item, to see some indication (on the web, android, and app) of which fields will be searchable by your audience.

That's an interesting idea. It's best to focus on what can be done, though, and we'd rather not tell people what isn't available to them. Positivity is key. :) I'm going to speak with the team about improving search across the platforms, which will be even better than saying what can and cannot be done. For now, I hope the knowledge of how search works on 1Password.com and Android is helpful.

This discussion has been closed.