Windows load nearly 100% for 1Password: Why?

I started using this software just yesterday as I think I have to have more complex passwords.

Today after a while my computer slowed down to dead slow and I found out that 1passwd is eating up all the power.

I now killed the process and restarted it and everything seems fine but I am now very unsure if this software is safe and what the hell it was trying in the background?

Any ideas?
Ron

1Password Version: 6.1.286d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Home
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thomasi82
    thomasi82
    Community Member

I'm having the same issues. Installed 1password for Windows last week and it has been working perfectly. But when I started my computer today I got an upgrade to a new version. After installing the update the 1password app is going nuts on my CPU (version 6.1.286d).

Thomas

• Nuetz
    Nuetz
    Community Member

Same for me. I've just installed the software for a trial period. Now I'm facing such issues like 100% CPU load. I'm concerned if the software is so buggy that it can't be used seriously.

• dmitrev
    edited November 2016

Same here, screenshot:
    i.imgur.com/CIWV85E.png

The software used to work like a charm a few days ago, but with need update the stability seems dropped. The CPU usage for me isn't always at near 100%, i had it only once now. Not sure how to reproduce it also.

What i do know is that the program itself was minimized to the tray (in Windows 10).

Before the program started using 100% CPU, some of the actions i did:

• Google Chrome + browser extension
    • Open the password generator from within the browser (right mouse click->1password->generator)
    • Saved a generated password (autosave)
    • declined 1password dialog to save filled in account info

Edit: i tried to reproduce the issue with these steps, but it seems to be unrelated.

• jeidd
    jeidd
    Community Member

The same thing happened to me. But after I force-closed it, the window for 1password doesn't show up. Like in, the program is running but I can't see the application window on the monitor. It worked before that. I don't know what to do now, I've already restarted my computer a few times since this happened a few days ago already. I can now only use 1password mini or the browser extension, and they both continue to work fine. It is also syncing my vault just fine with my other devices. Today I tried to force-close the application through task manager and restart it, always the same.

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi guys,

First, we apologize about these CPU issues and we need your help to narrow it down. We haven't seen this before, so there may be something in common with all of you.

Can you tell us what Windows version, what browser and/or what anti-malware solutions are you using?

Can you also email us your diagnostics log file:

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)
    4. Email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent the email, so we can confirm we got it.

• Hi guys,

Are any one of you using Brave?

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member

I emailed about this 3 days ago with no reply so i thought I'd come here and see if anyone else was having this problem ... I see I'm not alone.

In my email I already included the "Diagnostics for 1Password v6.1.286d" file and haven't heard back from anyone. What's going on? How close to a fix are you?

Windows 7 Home Prem
    Firefox 49.0.2 + browser extension

I never heard of "Brave"

If someone from support could respond to my email that would be ... ummm ... supportive.

• Hi @FrequentC,

Our email support volume is much higher than usual, we're replying to everyone as soon as we can. I've replied to your own email 20 minutes ago.

We are not aware of any issues related to high CPU usage, so we do not have any fixes yet as we're still tracking down the cause.

Brave is another browser, there's an issue in the browser that's causing 1Password to spike, we're trying to get in touch with them about it. The same issue isn't happening in other browsers.

• jeidd
    jeidd
    Community Member

Ok it seems like I could solve my problem by uninstalling 1password, deleting the install folder (by default inside AppData/Local) and the installing it again. When I tried the same without manually removing the install folder, it didn't work. Now I can see the UI again.

• Hi @jeidd,

Thanks for writing back to let me know that. We're still investigating the issue and we think we might have a solution in the next update that might help but it is only for a specific edge case, we're hoping to hear back from others to see if everyone has the same issue.

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member

Can you take a look at this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71390/local-folder-location#latest

Not a Use Case so much, but when I start 1P it brings my system to it's knees (90.4% CPU). As I've said in that post, I can't get 1P to start properly so can't produce a log file

• @newbietoo Can you please send us the event log as described further up by Mike?

We'd like to figure out why 1Password 6 might be doing this if you're only using a local vault.
    Mike and I have tried to reproduce it but we were unsuccessful.

Thanks!

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member

Alex, as described in my Posts, 1P won't work for me, thus I can't produce a log! In my linked post I asked for instructions on how to properly uninstall 1P. The Windows uninstall and even Revo Uninstaller obviously don't get rid of all of it

• Hi @newbietoo,

Sorry for not being clearer. The logs I was referring to are created by Windows itself and not by 1Password.
    I'd be happy if you could reproduce the issue on your machine and send us the Windows Event Viewer logs like this:

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here.
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt).
    4. Email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Your case presents an anomaly and we'd really like to figure out what is happening here.

Thanks,

Alex

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member

As reported in my related post. V6 isn't working and a re-install doesn't fix it.

• We'll be looking out for the this issue from other customers. Thank you for your report.

This discussion has been closed.