Identity filling

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Does 1Password formfill.

Comments

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately form filling has been added... but it seems to be an afterthought.

When I'm on a page with a form to fill, I need to remember what I named my identity, search for it, then click it. Unfortunately many entries have "Joe" so when I search for my identity it pulls up almost all of my logins. Very time consuming.

Why not have a separate section for identities like in v4? Having everything jumbled into one list is terribly rudimentary.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joe6759: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a new discussion so we can focus on your issues.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

http://support.1password.com/cs/version/

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, it sounds like you're finding that searching for "joe" gives you too many results, since most of your items have "joe" in them. If you search for additional terms, does that narrow the search? In case it helps, 1Password does have a separate "section" for Identities: you can select that category to view only those items:

Let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, it seems my Firefox add-on didn't update. The version of the add-on is reporting as 4.6.1.

I didn't see what's in your screenshot (in fact, your screenshot is exactly the view I was looking for!).

Firefox is reporting that the add-on is up to date which is weird, I'm going to try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

Strange, uninstalling my add-on and reinstalling doesn't give me the view that you have. Here's my info:

1Password app version: 6.1.286d
    Firefox add-on version 4.6.1
    Firefox 49.0.2

Quite simply, I'm clicking the 1password button in firefox and I'm seeing just a list of my entries for the site I'm on (and a search bar)... not the categories that you're showing in your screenshot:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joe6759: Version 4.6.1 is the latest stable release of the 1Password extension, so no worries there! :chuffed:

I'm glad the screenshot helped. I'll try to do you one better: you can use the ⌘ ⌥ \ (Command Option Backslash) keyboard shortcut to bring up that menu (1Password mini) at any time. And if you're at a login page you want 1Password to fill, pressing ⌘ \ will fill the matching saved login item. I love those because they save me a lot of cursor moving and clicking. :)

Which version of macOS and the main 1Password app are you using? We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Win10, and the app version is 6.1.286d

Very strange how my extension is missing so many features... hmmm. I did have 1password v4 installed previously, not sure if that makes a difference. It was uninstalled when I started my Family trial though.

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed that you were replying when I posted that screenshot... if you look at my 2nd previous comment you'll see what I see (which is very basic and featureless :) )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joe6759: Oh! I'm sorry! We really weren't on the same page there — or rather, the same platform. :dizzy:

You're 100% right: the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not yet have category listings in 1Password mini. We'll be adding that in the future update. 1Password 4 is a mature app, so we'd built all of these features into it already over the years. I apologize for sending you on a wild goose chase there. :blush:

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update (and for the great support). That's not good news unfortunately... the usability of the extension is so limited right now it has me considering other options unfortunately :(

I had my beta extended because I was waiting for the form filling functionality to decide, but it comes in a format like this that's basically hacked in and not usable. Will it be added in the next 2-3 weeks (when my trial expires)? Thx!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joe6759 We don't discuss timeframes for when features will be available. The few times we have made exceptions to that principle, we have found ourselves in a terrible position of disappointing our users because of either internal changes or developments that were outside of our control. So, we can't say when item categorization will be available in 1Password mini on Windows. What I can say is that @SergeyTheAgile and his team are working tirelessly to bring 1Password 6 up to parity with other platforms that have years worth of head start on the ground up rewrite they are doing for Windows.

Right now, what I would suggest is tweaking the item titles for your identities to make them easier to locate with a search. I admit that this is a hack and not something you should have to do, but being able to search for "ID Joe" or something easy to remember that will narrow the list much more quickly could be helpful while the Windows team finishes fleshing out 1Password mini.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but the good news is that the Windows app has been developing very quickly (Three months ago, 1Password mini didn't even exist…) and the team is pushing hard to make it the app that all our 1Password users deserve.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

Thx for the reply and while I do understand your situation, it feels an awful lot like you released this to subscription customers way too early (especially Windows customers).

If I didn't have to pay subscription fees for a product that's not up to your standards that would be different, but under this new model I'm paying you for a fully featured product, but getting one that's in its infancy. I made peace with the subscription model, but this absolutely massive UI and feature difference is unfortunately very hard to swallow.

Sorry for the rant, but I've gone from being a perfectly satisfied long-term licensed customer to one that has had to take many steps backwards in UI and functionality (and I would be paying you more for this).

I'll still continue my trial to the end (i have about 2 weeks left), but it's looking more and more like this is a long term process for you guys to bring in some of the basics of v4. :(

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I certainly understand your position, @joe6759. You're right that we do have quite a bit of ground to make up and all I can say right now is that we're getting there quite literally as fast as the team can type. I'm not sure what other platforms you're using 1Password on, but I would point out that your subscription also entitles you to the latest version of 1Password on all your devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android) and also includes the web interface and administrative tools if you're a Families or Teams customer. I'm not saying this to minimize the amount of work that we still need to do but to highlight some of the other benefits and features of your subscription. In the meantime, please know that our Windows team is hard at work on the missing bits of the experience.

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yup, I know you're working hard towards fixing it, and I love your business model etc, but my struggle is paying a subscription for something that downgrades my experience. Hopefully there will be another release in the next two weeks and I can reevaluate. I'd be sad not to support 1p any more if I do move away :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@joe6759: I understand completely. If I were in your position, I suspect I'd stick with the 1Password 4 license and local vaults until the new app is ready to meet my needs. That's a big part of the reason we've always offered a free trial where ever possible. We don't want to take anyone's money unless they get the value they expect out of 1Password, and since that's pretty subjective, the only way to know is to take it for a test drive.

I can't make any promises about how soon it will be, but we're absolutely committed to bringing the new app to the point where it's a step forward for everyone. Apart from categories in 1Password mini, I'd love to hear if you have any other features on your 1Password 6 wishlist. And I hope that you'll give your 1Password Account another chance once we're able to add them all. Thanks for your honest feedback on this!

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty I totally understand that you can't promise timelines.

Unfortunately, for my situation it isn't as easy as switching back to v4 until v6 is up to par with some of the basic features. I now require a true family plan service for passwords, and your old v4 windows application doesn't handle multiple vaults simultaneously. So basically I'm temporarily stuck between your two different versions. :)

Before the end of my trial in a couple of weeks I'll need to try out your competition (sorry!) because I'm not sure I can pay 12 months of service without some of the core functionality added to v6. I'll hold off until the end of my trial because I really don't want to switch away, but now even my wife is asking why I want to pay so much for the new 1Password (doesn't help that she heard about the LastPass pricing change).

I can definitely pass on my wishlist for v6. Would you prefer a new topic or an email? Thx!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately, for my situation it isn't as easy as switching back to v4 until v6 is up to par with some of the basic features. I now require a true family plan service for passwords, and your old v4 windows application doesn't handle multiple vaults simultaneously. So basically I'm temporarily stuck between your two different versions. :)

@joe6759: Ah. That makes sense. Really, what it comes down to is that if 1Password isn't able to meet your needs right now, that's on us. You should use the tool that does the job for you, whichever that may be. And it's our job to get the new app to the point where you don't need to look elsewhere anymore. You have to do what's best for your and your family, and any password manager is better than none — or one you don't use.

I can definitely pass on my wishlist for v6. Would you prefer a new topic or an email? Thx!

Great! Either is fine: you can contact the Windows team directly at support+windows@agilebits.com or post in the Windows category of the forums. We'd appreciate any suggestions and constructive criticism you think of! It really helps us prioritize based on what is most requested. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.