Apple Watch beta feedback

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Families add to Apple Watch [currently in beta testing].

Comments

• jarose
    jarose
    Community Member

I am beta testing the iOS app with support for Apple Watch on 1password accounts. A couple of issues I have found so far. I have to force kill the app in iOS and restart it before new entries show up on the Apple Watch. I also see a potential security issue. I can start the Apple Watch app and the name of the passwords stored on the watch (although not the passwords themselves) are visible before entering my pin.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jarose: First of all, thanks for participating in the beta! We're getting a lot of great feedback! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post into a separate discussion in the iOS beta category of the forums.

I am beta testing the iOS app with support for Apple Watch on 1password accounts. A couple of issues I have found so far. I have to force kill the app in iOS and restart it before new entries show up on the Apple Watch.

Thanks for letting us know! I'm not able to reproduce this, but we're working on fixing a number of issues with "item loading". I've shared this with the development team in case it helps us narrow things down further. Keep an eye out for updates!

I also see a potential security issue. I can start the Apple Watch app and the name of the passwords stored on the watch (although not the passwords themselves) are visible before entering my pin.

That's an excellent point. The development team is aware of this issue. Previously, if an app was not in memory, you just had to wait for it to load. However, now watchOS 3 seems to display a screenshot of the previous state of the app underneath a spinning app icon while it loads. I'm not sure how much control we have over this (if any), but we'll see if there's something we can do to work around it. Thanks for bringing this up!

• jarose
    jarose
    Community Member

Another security issue I have found is that I can access my 1password Apple Watch data after closing it without entering my pin again. There doesn't seem to be a timeout. I could access it several hours later with no authentication.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jarose: Indeed, it isn't currently possible for 1Password to lock itself. You can lock it manually by force-touching, or it will be locked "automatically" when watchOS purges it from memory. iOS apps have the ability to do a lot in the background, but watchOS is less flexible in this regard. It's handled solely by the OS. And this is, of course, why 1Password will disable the watch app if you do not have a passcode set on the watch itself. 1Password cannot run cryptographic operations on the watch itself, so that also falls to the OS. Hopefully we'll have more tools at our disposal on watchOS in the future. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.