Where's the primary vault?

Options
Alonzo
Alonzo
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Business and Teams

So, my question is, how do I set up a primary account on the new computer that I just set up for one password? I really like the independence of a PRIMARY VAULT. Access to the PERSONAL VAULT REQUIRES A SUBSCRIPTION RIGHT? So if that ever lapses, there goes your information. Plus, if you want to share secure notes and their links to other files, that requires a subscription, too. So, unless you want to marry agile bits for LIFE, don't switch ALL your secure notes, or anything linked to SECURE NOTES OR DOCUMENTS to the Team or Family account. You can't just copy and paste SECURE NOTES OR DOCUMENTS back to the NON SUBSCRIPTION BASED PRIMARY ACCOUNT. They won't go. It will cause the entire the application to lock up, actually. Unless there is a different solution that I don't know about. How do I set up a PRIMARY ACCOUT VAULT where there doesn't seem to be an option to do so?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:primary vault

Comments

• Hi @Alonzo! Welcome to the forum. :) I'm sorry for the confusion about the Personal vault. When your subscription lapses or account is frozen, you can still access everything. You just can't add new stuff or edit what's already there. We don't take away access to your data — that would be unfair. ;) Learn more about frozen accounts.

Hope that helps clear things up!

• Alonzo
    Alonzo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it's nice that you allow us to see our information, thanks for that, but you're subtly changing the functionality by denying documents access to the primary vault. Plus, you'd have to get a subscription just to get the functionality to move everything back to the primary vault in order to access our information like we could originally especially speaking for those who bought the app when it wasn't free. I've been a 1pass user for years. Is the best password app available. Period. I gladly pay for it. Even a subscription, but you still haven't answered my question, how do you set up the primary vault? CAN you set up a primary vault? Or is this the new wave of things now with one pass. Is it just going to require a subscription to use? I don't care either way I just want to know how this works.

• @Alonzo Sorry if I added some confusion to things. You don't need an active subscription to move data out of the account. You can simply copy things instead of moving them in the apps. This doesn't put them in the Trash of the old vault, so it doesn't require a subscription. It just makes a copy of the items in the destination vault.

As for Documents, you do need to add those again as attachments if you need them in the Primary vault. They can't be copied directly because the old vault structure doesn't support that type of item.

To answer your question about enabling the Primary vault, the process is different in each of the apps. In 1Password for Mac, you can enable it by choosing 1Password -> Preferences when the app is open. Then switch to the Advanced tab and check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and a Primary vault will be created. :)

• rrose727
    rrose727
    Community Member
    Options

How do I move all the logins from personal vault to Primary in order to access from my iWatch? I set up the Primary as per your instructions above but there is no way I can see to move them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rrose727: Right-click and go to Share > Primary > Move. You can select more than one at a time if you want using Shift or ⌘. I hope this helps! :)

• rrose727
    rrose727
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for that, it was easy. Now how do i see the Primary Vault on my iPhone in order to access it from my phone and watch?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rrose727: The easiest way is with iCloud:

iCloud sync setup

You'll need to set it up on your Mac first, and then on your iPhone. Have you installed 1Password on your iPhone already?

• rrose727
    rrose727
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so i was able to sync and now everything is in my phone. I still dont see anything to add to watch....

• rrose727
    rrose727
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to figure it out, thank you. One last question. Now that I have a Primary Vault...will I have to save all future new sites to that vault? Will i need to sync with my phone (and watch)...or will it auto update? Thanks again...

• @rrose727 Glad to hear it! To change the vault where new items are automatically saved on your Mac, open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password -> Preferences and click All Vaults. Now choose your Primary vault from the “Vault for Saving” pop-up menu. On your iPhone, open and unlock 1Password then tap Settings -> All Vaults -> Vault for Saving and choose your Primary vault. Everything should sync between your devices with iCloud if you set that up like Brenty mentioned. :) Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.