To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password confusion between license and account

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Not accepting master password.

Comments

• Florentine
    Florentine
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem on my iPhone 6. I had to erase everything on it and am trying to restore. I've check everything you suggested. The master password works on my desktop. the phone asks for a secret word from my computer, which I have no idea where to find.

• Florentine
    Florentine
    Community Member
    Options

Also, when I asked for my license on 1password.com, I received a download link. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with that. My 1password is fine on my computer. It's just the phone that's having the problem.

• @Florentine I’m sorry for the confusion. We recently introduced a 1Password subscription service, which has automatic sync between your devices, access to 1Password anywhere, and an account to access everything. Since you purchased 1Password a while back, you didn't get an account with the new service. You can create one to get the benefits accounts include (see that blog post I just linked to for more info), or you can keep using 1Password as you always have.

To get started with 1Password on your iPhone, sync it with what you already have on your desktop. You can do this with Dropbox or iCloud:

Sync your 1Password data

Hope that helps! Let us know how this goes.

• Florentine
    Florentine
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder why I wasn't informed of the change. Will you extend the six month credit as a courtesy? I tried to back up to Dropbox but it says "not found. no .agilekeychain... in Dropbox." I sync it to my desktop, so I don't think I need Dropbox. I assume once I get the subscription, it will work. It has been very frustrating.

• @Florentine Are you subscribed to our newsletter? We announced it there, as well as on our blog. The launch special is no longer available, but if we do have some other promotions in the future we'll post them on our Twitter, Facebook, and blog.

For your existing 1Password data, I'd recommend syncing it from your desktop to your iPhone so you can use the same Master Password in each place. You can sign up for a subscription account to do this if you'd like. We have a nice guide to help you get your existing data moved to an account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Then sign in to your account on your iPhone and all your data will be there. :)

• Florentine
    Florentine
    Community Member
    Options

This is getting to be more of a hassle than it's worth. I was ready to buy the license but it only gave me the option for a 30 day trial for a new account. Downloaded the zip, the opened the app and saw all my accounts, clicked on MOVE data, clicked QR, moved QR reader and the key is wrong. It begins with A3-RHMKLF. The error message says it must begin withA3-K, not sure as it's on another website... further suggestions before I give up?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Florentine: I'm really sorry for the confusion! Just to clarify, nothing has changed for you: your license is still valid and you can continue to use 1Password as you have. The subscription service is just a new option that we offer, so you don't need to do anything differently unless you want to change to that.

I think that's where the confusion started. It sounds like you purchased 1Password for your computer previously, which is why you're given your license information and a download link when you request it from our site — perhaps from the bottom of our support page.

A license for the desktop version of 1Password, however, is in no way connected to the mobile apps. These are sold through the iOS App Store and Google Play store, owned and operated by Apple and Google respectively. And there is no license. Both are a free download with an in-app purchase for Pro Features.

If that sounds complicated, it's because it sort of is. And that's a big part of the reason we've introduced the subscription service: no need to figure out which apps to purchase or how to sync your data. What Jacob was saying is that you can use the subscription service to get access to all of the apps and use the 1Password Account on each device to access your data, without needing to configure sync settings.

I know it can be difficult to transition, but we'll help you through the process. And once you've done it, all you need to do in the future to access your data on a new device is login — no need to figure out if you need to purchase something different or set things up. We'll get there. :)

Do you have your Emergency Kit from when you signed up for the 1Password Account? That will contain your Account Key and, if you filled it out, your Master Password for it as well. Keep in mind that this may be different from the one you've been using on your computer. We don't know it and don't want to, but I'm just mentioning that in case it applies. Then, login to your account at https://my.1password.com

Next, use the same account credentials from your Emergency Kit to login in the app, under 1Password Preferences > Accounts. Just click the + on the bottom of the account preferences window toward the left and enter the info.

Finally, transfer your data from your Primary local vault in the app to the Personal vault in your 1Password Account. That way, you can access your data on any device by logging into your account — for example, your iPhone:

Migrate to a 1Password Account

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.