To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Syncing problem across 1password web account and Apps

Options
Matt_Parton
Matt_Parton
Community Member

Hello
I started with 1Password on iOS - all very good.
Backed up my Vault with iCloud - all VERY good (especially when my phone was stolen).

I took out the 30 day trial to set up a 1password.com account.
A bit of fiddling about to get the MacOS (Sierra 10.12) App working and sort out Vaults - seemed very good, synced across all platforms, though I never used 1password.com account on another computer.
I kept the iCloud backup.
My possible mistake is that I kept two vaults: the original (from the iPhone App) and a new one after the 1password account and MacOS App installation
(Comment - THIS WAS CONFUSING - "personal" and "primary" - a bit like "Chicken" and "Egg" - which was "Original"? It's too easy to get mixed-up or leave them as I see to have done).

Now I have niggles:
My MacOS App was 6.3.3 - all fine. Then I was asked (repeatedly) to upgrade to 6.3.5 - never able to, despite downloading through the built-in installer and restarting the computer. I gave up and forgot about it.
Two or three days later (today),I found the Taskbar MiniApp was not working - spinning beachball.
My (possible) mistake came next in that I deleted the Safari Extension first, then shut down the Mac.

Now:
iOS is fine and carries on regardless
Mac App is fine and it has now updated to 6.3.5.
The above two have vaults that work and are synched to each other (and presumably to iCloud): see screen shots below.
BUT
My 1 password.com account has only its empty default vault. When I tried to re-register and link to the vault used in the iOS and Mac Apps by the QR code method I was told then I had already done it and could not do so again.
The help videos don't have a good explanation for tidying up problem vaults.

PLEASE advise how to sort out the vault problem on the web version. Could you please think about putting up a video somewhere to talk through what (and others) need to do, and/or tidying up the vault process for those of us who started first with a phone app.

Thank you!

Matt

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OSX 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Welcome to our forums, Matt! I'm sorry for the late reply.

Let's see if I can answer your questions and address all your points:

First, regarding the confusion around Personal and Primary vaults, I agree 100%. In a near future version we will automatically migrate all your data (after asking your permission) from your Primary vault into your newly added Personal vault after adding your 1Password Account. I wish we had this rolled out already so you could have avoided this confusion but there's a few remaining techincal issues we needed to finish up first.

For your second issue upgrading from 1Password for Mac 6.3.3 to 6.3.5, I'm not sure why this happened or what could have caused it. If it ever happens again please let us know and we'll dig deeper to find the cause.

Now let's jump to your current situation and sort that out :)

It seems to me that you're very close to having everything working. I don't think you have any need to readd your account to either iOS nor Mac as both look great. I believe all you need to do is migrate your data from your Primary vault into your new vault that's managed by 1Password.com, namely your Personal vault.

This is most easily done from your Mac by selecting your Primary vault from the Vault Switcher (shown in your third screenshot above). Once selected, you can click on one of your items in the item list, then press Command-A to select all the items. From there you can right click and use the Share > Move menu to move all the items into your Personal vault.

This process is shown in detail in this guide, along with a video as well:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Once you follow this process you should be able to see the items on 1Password.com, as well as on iOS. Assuming all is looking good, you can follow the "To delete your old vault" steps in the article above on both Mac and your iOS device.

I hope that helps. Please give it a go and let me know how it turns out.

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.