To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Syncing existing iOS vault with 1Pass account

Options
Denzil
Denzil
Community Member

Hi,
first of all I apologize for starting a yet new thread on this topic..but after a few days of searching I still haven't managed to do this on my own.

What I have is an iPhone, PC at home, PC at work.
What I want is 2 vaults, 1 for work related passwords, and the 2nd for personal passwords. And of course I want them all available and syncing on all 3 deviced (2xPC+iPhone).
Also - I'd love it if everything on PC would be available:

• on the website
  • in the PC application
  • in the Chrome extentions I'm using

Chronological order of my events regarding 1password:
1. I purchased 1password for my iPhone, paid for the PRO features.. been using for years and for the record - I LOVE YOU GUYS! Keep it up plz :)
2. I recently activated free 30day trial period for a 1password account...to see if I can get from the PC version wthat I need before buying that too
3. I created 1password account - it has PERSONAL vault, and my WORK vault which I already loaded up with 50-ish items.
4. I stopped syncing my iPhone data with iCloud and switched ot Dropbox, based on what I had already read on this topic
5. I added my Dropbox account to the PC application and now I can see all 3 vaults there - PERSONAL (empty), WORK (50 items) and the iPhone data vault called PRIMARY (135 items).
6. I tried moving ALL the data from PRIMARY to PERSONAL but I failed.. AKA didn't know how. Only thing I haven't tried is exporting iphone data via iTunes and then importing the file into the vault.. I think this is a viable option? Anyway, that's why this is still in the PRIMARY vault.
7. So what I have now is:

• my iPhone can see all the vaults.I tried adding an item into WORK it got synced and it appeared in my web and PC application, but not immediately, had a little delay (10-30min?) - I guess that's OK
  • my web access can see only PRIMARY and WORK vaults, and is syncing correcly (based on the example I just mentioned). However I don't have my PRIMARY vault here and I don't know how to add it and sync it.
  • my PC application has access to all the vaults, since I tied Dropbox to it I think this is working just fine

So what remains is - I want to simplify my life here. I don't need 3 vault for starters. I could move everything from PRIMARY to PERSONAL if that would help me simplifying. And of course I want access to all the data via the website. So I want to be able to add a new item on any platform/location into any vault and having it synced and available elswhere. Is this at all possible? If I get this to work, then CG Agilebits you got yourself another subscriber (besides PRO iPhone features).
It would be handy if all the data was stored in one place.. like Dropbox? I don't have a problem with that if that's the only solution.

Last question - where does the Chrome extension pull it's data from? Directly from the web? Or via the installed application in the PC?

Thank you for reading ..and again I apologize if all of this has been answered, but I haven't managed to figure it out on my own.
BTW I think this article needs a little more work because it's not perfectly clear.. there's just so many details here and options, even experienced users like myself seem to get lost :/

1Password Version: 6.1.286d
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Win 10 PRO, build 1607
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hello @Denzil! I’m sorry to hear about the trouble here with the full migration to your new 1Password Account! Before I forget, I wanted to quickly address your question regarding our Chrome extension, it is connected directly to our desktop application and does not inter-mingle directly with the 1Password.com web page.

I had a quick look and see the progress you’ve made migrating items into your account, it does not look as though those items from the Primary vault have made the transition as of yet though. Can you give the following steps a try and see if this helps you to copy those items from Dropbox into your new Account:

In 1Password 6 for Windows
    Select Settings (the Gear icon in the top right) > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open Vault.
    Select your .opvault or .agilekeychain folder found in Dropbox, click OK, then enter the password for that vault.
    Select the item you want to copy. Select multiple items by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on them. Select all of the items by pressing Ctrl+A after clicking one of the items in the list.
    Click Copy and choose the vault you want to copy the data into, my recommendation would be to use the Personal vault since you already have your Work vault for business logins.

Let me know if that helps, but if not, can you please launch 1Password on your iOS device and tap Settings > Sync and confirm for me that your Primary vault is syncing via Dropbox to the same Dropbox account connected to your Windows PC?

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

Well I didn't tie my windows app to the dropbox folder on my PC.. I did however log into the Dropbox account and added it. Since all the dropbox data appeared in the windows app, I figured "that's it". Look here.

I stopped using Dropbox and migrated all my data to OneDrive.. so I don't have their application installed anymore. I'd avoid that if it's possible, but if Dropbox is the only way, it's a very small sacrifice for running 1Password the way it's meant to be :)
    I still use their account for serveral apps, 1Password included, that use it for syncing data.

OK so do I need to install Dropbox and link the application directly to the file on my hard disk like you mentioned in your post?
    And regarding your last question - yes it's the same Dropbox account. I checked, besides I only have one Dropbox account anyway :)

• @Denzil That's perfect! Signing in to your Dropbox account adds the vault as well as opening it from a folder does. :) You can now move your existing items from the Primary vault to the Personal one. Let us know how that goes.

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

Well it appears that you are right :)
    I don't know why I never tried someting as obvious as this :blush:

So I copied all the items from PRIMARY into PERSONAL vault.. and that seems to work everywhere! I'm happy :)
    Tell me one more thing.. do I still need dropbox now and for what? My entire 1password database (PERSONAL + WORK vault) are now being synced throgh my Dropbox account?

Oh and .. why can't I move items into trash? Using my windows application, I'm trying to empty the PRIMARY vault now but when I click "move to trash" nothing happens. What's the fastest way to empty the primary vault?

• @Denzil Great! You no longer need the Dropbox vault if you've moved all its contents to your account — you can use your account instead now. :) Remove the Dropbox vault from 1Password for Windows by clicking the settings icon, then Accounts & Vaults -> Primary -> Remove Vault and you'll be set to just use your account there.

Oh and .. why can't I move items into trash? Using my windows application, I'm trying to empty the PRIMARY vault now but when I click "move to trash" nothing happens. What's the fastest way to empty the primary vault?

Vaults outside accounts are read-only in 1Password 6 for Windows. All you need to do here is remove the vault from the app, not remove the items from it. You can keep it in Dropbox as a backup as well if you'd like.

On your other devices, sign in to your account, then remove your Primary vault there since your account will make things redundant. ;) Specifically for your iPhone, start over from scratch with 1Password and sign in to your account. There's not currently a way to remove the vault there without starting over. You can quickly start over by opening and unlocking the app, then tapping Settings -> Advanced -> Reset All 1Password Data. Open the app again and sign in to your account, now you're off to the races! Hope this helps.

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

I did it :)
    I did everything you said and I got everything I wanted. Thank you so much :)
    I'm activating my subscription as we speak...

Keep up the great work guys! U rule :)

• That's wonderful to hear. :) You're welcome, @Denzil. If you have some questions for us down the road we're here to help. Hope you enjoy 1Password and your weekend!

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

I have a peculiar problem.. or should I say question.
    When I started using the iPhone app I created a password, of course. I assume this might have linked to my primary vault.
    Then once I created a 1password accoutn on the web, I had to create a "master password".

Then I did all this in this topic.. moved primary vault items into personal and using my 1password account on all devices.

And basicly since then.. when logging into 1password on my PC, browser extension mostly... when asked for password, I don't know which of the 2 I need to use. They are different, and sometimes 1 works, and sometimes the other.
    I haven't yet recognized the pattern, when or why is which. Only think atm I can think of is make them the same to make my life easier :)

But I guess I'm missing something? So hoping there's some smarter solution :)

thx

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Denzil

1Password will unlock with the first account/local vault that you set up on that device. In other words, if you were using local vaults and then added and account the Master Password that will unlock everything is the one for local vaults. If you're going to use your account exclusively (the best option for most people) then deleting the Primary vault will do the trick! If you're planning to keep the local vault, then we do recommend you to use the same Master Password for both of them. It will make everything consistent and easier :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any other questions and how this goes for you :chuffed:

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thank you for the reply Pilar.
    I had removed my primary vault from my iPhone already, but the password remained.

For the time being I made both passwords the same.. but I don't think this is a good solution.
    I'd rather know how it works.. iPhone has it's own password, 1p account has it's own. The vaults are synced and the same on both. However I don't need to use the same password every time?

Anyways it's no drama.. if there's a way let me know. I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to passwords :)

• @Denzil Hmm, that's interesting. How did you remove the Primary vault? The only way to remove it from 1Password on your iPhone is to reset the app. You can do that by deleting the app and installing it again, or tapping Settings -> Advanced -> Erase All 1Password Data in the app itself. Only do this if all your data is in your account. ;) Does that help?

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob I'm glad you asked :)
    I had copied all the data from the primary vault to personal vault in my account, and then I followed your instructions from this thread, few posts above. I erased all 1password data from the phone app. That's how I got everything into the 1pass account, 2 vaults syncing everywhere.

• @Denzil Okay, and the Master Password is the same as it was when your Primary vault was in the app? Resetting the app should remove the Master Password entirely, so signing in to your account would mean your account's Master Password is now the one that you unlock 1Password with. You can change your Master Password from 1Password.com and it will change on your iPhone and other devices as well so long as you're only using your account there. So it sounds like you're all set, but if something is out of order please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.