offline vault on ipad

Options
DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

I'm going to travelling. The data charges for keeping dropbox in sync and available will be very high. Also, there will be times when no internet connection is available. How do I make sure that I can still access my vault without having to rely on the internet. In otherwords, I need some kind of offline storage of the vault.

In order to accomplish it in dropbox I would have to touch > 1000 files and mark each one individually for offline storage. This is clearly not feasible. I need a better solution.

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DoctorDan: I'm not sure I follow. If you're using Dropbox to sync the vault, this is a local vault which is already available "offline" at all times. I'm not sure what you're referring to with this statement:

I would have to touch > 1000 files and mark each one individually for offline storage

I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify that for me! With regard to data usage, you can easily go to iOS Settings > Cellular and disable 1Password there to prevent it from transmitting data when not connected to Wi-Fi. Just don't forget to re-enable it when you return if needed!

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

I know that I can turn cellular data off but -
    I have secure notes and credit cards that I need to access when cellular data is turned off.
    The only solution would seem to be that of Evernote that lets you mark a notebook for offline access.
    Since 1pw doesn't offer the option (yet) of a local vault on the iphone, the only option is to copy files to local storage in dropbox but -

Dropbox says:
    How do I save files for offline viewing on my mobile device?

To view a file anywhere and any time, make it available offline. Specifically, making a file available offline:

Adds the file to the Offline tab for easy access (like a bookmark)
    Saves the file to your iPad for offline viewing
    Attempts to keep the file as up-to-date as possible
    From the iPad app:

Find the file you'd like to save offline in the file list view.
    Tap on the downward arrow to reveal a set of actions.
    Tap Make Available Offline.
    When viewing a single file, you can tap the ellipses icon (...) and select Make Available Offline.

Once downloaded, you'll be able to access your offline files at any time. To ensure you have the latest versions, Dropbox will update them automatically if you're on a Wi-Fi network. If you're on a cellular (3G or 4G) network and some files have changed, tap each file to open it and get the latest changes.

This procedure must be repeated for every file in the 1pw vault individually. There is apparently no way to mark an entire folder "offline"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@DoctorDan: Ah I see. I think you're confusing the Dropbox app with using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data. The 1Password app does not require the Dropbox app at all, and anything stored in a local vault in 1Password — even if you sync it using Dropbox — is available with or without an internet connection.

Just try it: turn on Airplane Mode and open 1Password. If you don't have an internet connection, of course no changes can sync until you get connected again, but your data doesn't go anywhere. Cheers! :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct. I did not understand that about the iOS version. Thank you for clarifying it. I tried searching for this info but had no success.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks for the update DoctorDan. Glad Brenty was able to help get you on the right track. :)

For anyone else reading I just want to clarify:

Since 1pw doesn't offer the option (yet) of a local vault on the iphone, the only option is to copy files to local storage in dropbox but -

This is not the case. With the standalone iOS app (syncing with Dropbox) your data is stored locally on your device. There is also a copy kept at Dropbox. These copies sync when internet access is available, but can happily exist for a time without any internet access. You can continue to access your local copy indefinitely, even if you never connect to the internet again.

With 1Password.com accounts/vaults it works a little differently behind the scenes, since the server is the Source of Truth, but there is still a locally cached copy of your data that can be used offline.

In short if you access a vault from 1Password for iOS that vault is stored on the device. There is no option otherwise.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.