Any Reason for the Recent Increase in iOS App Size/Memory Use

Options
Jim02840
Jim02840
Community Member
edited November 2016 in iOS

Hello 1Password Support;

I was unable to find any info on this subject, but I'd like to know

1). why 1Password on my iPhone is suddenly using so much space 600MB+ (and also)

2). how I'd go about fixing or troubleshooting this issue.

I've attached two (jpg) screenshots to this message showing the size of the App. As a backup (just in case) there's a link to a folder in my Dropbox containing similar screenshots (in .pdf format) I took them while inspecting the Storage and App Usage Data within my iPhone settings. I've never seen anything even remotely like this occur before.

Here's additional (basic) info you may want in advance;
• Device: iPhone 6s Plus
• iOS Version: 10.1.1
• 1Password Version: I believe it's Version 6.4.5 (there are no additional updates in the App Store.
• I sync with Dropbox, not iCloud - (this is due to an ongoing iCloud Issue)

****Backup Screenshot URL****

://www.dropbox.com/sh/jqv2jy26idha19m/AAB4KFruavrtn2y6cpjfFuSua?dl=0

Thank you in advance for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

James E. Allan

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim02840: Thanks for reaching out, James. That's certainly interesting. Ultimately it depends entirely on how much data you have stored in 1Password, but I tend to feel like I have a lot and that's a bit more space than it takes up for me. The app size itself is about twice mine, but that may be due to larger images for your Plus sized iPhone. I've definitely encountered cases of apps getting "bloated" (for lack of a better term) on my iPhone in the past though, so it may be that something is damaged there. I once had a productivity app taking up over 5GB. :scream:

Since you mentioned you're using Dropbox, definitely check the size of your vault there. If it isn't in the neighborhood of 400+MB, I think it's worth reinstalling 1Password to see if that clears things up. Just make sure that all of your data is backed up, delete the app, and install a fresh copy from the App Store. Then check the size, sync your data with Dropbox, and check the size again. At that point the total should be roughly equal to the Dropbox vault plus the App Size. Let me know what you find!

• Jim02840
    Jim02840
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty,

Thank you for your timely reply and a course of action.

That's true about 'bloat' as I've had the exact same issue you mentioned with other Apps. Precisely the reason why I make a habit of giving 'usage' a peek on a regular basis and saw 1Password had recently ballooned.

My vault is using a total of 64MB of Dropbox space which sounds reasonable and far less than ~ 400MB. So, I'm going to follow the link to make sure the backup is done 'by the book', then proceed with the removal and re-installation. I'll let you know the results ASAP.

Thanks again, Jim

• Jim02840
    Jim02840
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi brenty,

The App reinstalled perfectly and the backup data synchronized seamlessly. I checked all my categories and everything appears to have returned to it's proper place.

The size on my iPhone is now back in the area of 100MB.

Thank you so much for walking me through, because this is one of those Apps you don't want to just take a guess with and say 'ok, lets see how this wor ... DOH'!!

Thanks again and don't ever let the Ms. Crabapples bring you down!

• Ben
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. 100MB does sound much more reasonable if the vault is 64MB. :)

Perhaps we should open a line of communication with Ms. Crabapples to see why she is so cranky. Maybe her grandkids don't visit her often and she just needs someone to visit with to warm her frozen heart. ;)

Ben

• Jim02840
    Jim02840
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for responding and yes, I'm very pleased with the results. I also made a point of checking the usage today and the App size is solid.

As far as Ms. Crabapples is concerned, I'm delighted to hear you say that! Especially since I've arranged for the two of you to meet for Dinner at her place this weekend.

Just be mindful of her Rottweiler 'Ripper'. Seems he's fine with visitors coming into the house, it's getting back out that's the tricky part!!

• Ben
    Options

Haha, thanks Jim!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.