Bug: Being asked to install extension when it is already installed

Options
agdfoster
agdfoster
Community Member

latest Chrome installation, just deleted and reinstalled the extension. Mac user 10.11.6

It's done this a lot recently. I hit the shortcut for 1p and I think it's showing me the MAC interface not the brower interface as it doesn't suggest a site / autofill and it has the option to install the chrome extension at the top?

another sympton - when this happens, clicking the 1p extension logo in Chrome doesn't do anything (usually opens a new web page to confirm that it is on and working)

Thank!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Most Recent
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Bug: Being asked to install extension when it is already installed

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @agdfoster

It sounds like you've bumped into some whacky behavior with 1Password here! Would you mind please checking which version of 1Password you have installed? Could you please check if things work correctly with other browsers, like Safari for example? This will help us pin point the problem and get a better chance at sorting it out :chuffed: Finally, if you could please show us a screenshot of what you see when you bump into this?

I hope to hear back from you with this extra information so we can get this all sorted out for you :chuffed:

• agdfoster
    agdfoster
    Community Member
    Options

I'll keep an eye out for it, when it happens again I'll check on Safari.
    The extension version is the most recent and mac app is 6.3.3.3

I'm assuming it's the extension and not the native app though given that the extension also doesn't do anything when I click it

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @agdfoster

Thank you for getting back to us, when it happens again please get the screenshots and test I mentioned before and tell us what you discover so we can get this sorted out. We'll be waiting here for you :chuffed:

• Obermeyer
    Obermeyer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having exactly the same problem.

This happens to me all the time. I have no idea why. Supremely frustrating.

1Password version 6.3.5 (build #635001)
    1Password Chrome Extension version 4.6.2.90
    Chrome version 54.0.2840.98 (64-bit)
    OS X version 10.11.6 (15G31)

This happens on all websites.

I'm in Chrome on a login screen and I hit Option-Command-\ and instead of the Chrome extension opening, the 1Password Mini menubar app drops down saying "Add Chrome Extension..." and shows no sign of having any knowledge of the website I'm on to be able to offer me any logins.

If instead, I click the 1Password extension icon within Chrome it opens a webpage and says "Looking for the 1Password app" and then fails saying "Couldn't connect to 1Password".

I just rebooted my computer. Problem persists.

Just tried it in Safari Version 9.1.2 (11601.7.7) with 1Password extension version 4.6.1 and ... SAME EXACT PROBLEM.

Screenshots attached. Please help.

Chrome

And
    here
    is
    the
    problem
    in
    Safari:

Please help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Obermeyer: The fact that this is happening across multiple browsers is clear indication that something is preventing with 1Password's communication there. So the app cannot tell that the extension is installed (or vice versa). Do you have "security" software or other extensions installed in each browser that might be interfering? Thanks in advance!

• Obermeyer
    Obermeyer
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, you're right. I've recently installed web filtering software called Qustodio on our computer, and I see now from online research that it doesn't play nicely with 1Password.

Is there a fix out there to make Qustodio & 1Password function properly together?

Do you know of other web filtering software that DOES seem to play nicely with 1Password?

Thanks

• @obermeyer,

My best guess is that you'll probably need to put an exception into Qustodio for 127.0.0.1 in order for the browser extensions to be able to talk to 1Password.

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Obermeyer: Just to add to what Rudy said, 127.0.0.1 is the localhost IP address — i.e. your computer. 1Password communicates locally on your machine with the browser. But if their "filtering" is sending all communications (including those meant to stay on your machine) to a proxy server or something similar, 1Password will never receive them and won't work. Let us know if setting an exception helps!

This discussion has been closed.