Recent issue - Horrible kernel panic w/ 1PW mini login

Options
mtnbeach
mtnbeach
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

Hi there,
You guys ( & gals) were great at diagnosing & fixing my last problem so hope you can help me with this one. :)

Not sure what exactly has happened or been corrupted but every time I try to login w/ 1PW (with mini) in Firefox now - to 2 different banks my computer shuts down completely. This has just started happening & I've lost separate data spreadsheets I've been working on. :angry: Very frustrating. BUT - It only happens with my banks, not to other websites, so it's very weird. It doesn't panic when I use the main 1PW app, just the mini. Then when the computer restarts, 1PW is not locked ( which is not normal) - it is unlocked! :(

Q?: Are my 1PW files corrupted or have I been hacked or phished? ( Haven't clicked on anything suspicious, although I did once, some months ago by accident - 'panic' shut-downs weren't happening after though) The only other thing I can think of, is I recently linked those two accounts to Quickbooks online which could mean an issue with the Bank security software &/or Quickbooks with 1PW.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

M :)

1Password Version: 1PW6
Extension Version: 6.3.2
OS Version: 10.11.6 Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mtnbeach,

I'm sorry you're having such an odd problem on your Mac! We'll do our best to help you get things back to normal again.

Are my 1PW files corrupted or have I been hacked or phished?

I don't think there's any reason to suspect that you've been hacked or phished. It's definitely strange that trying to sign into a couple specific sites is causing your Mac to shut down, but there's likely a reasonable explanation and/or fix.

...every time I try to login w/ 1PW (with mini) in Firefox now - to 2 different banks my computer shuts down completely.

[...]

BUT - It only happens with my banks, not to other websites...

So, 1Password works correctly to fill & submit sign-in forms on all sites except those two specific banking sites? At what specific point does the problem happen? In other words, is 1Password able to fill the username/password fields first, or does the problem happen the moment you select the Login item from the 1Password browser extension / mini?

It will also help if you can let us know the following details:

• Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of Firefox are you using? (From the Firefox app, go to Firefox > About Firefox to find the exact version number.)
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox? (Click the link for steps to find that.)
    • What are the exact steps you normally take to have 1Password fill your login credentials?
    • Instead of using the 1Password extension/mini, try copying & pasting your username/password from the main 1Password app into the bank site(s). Does the same problem happen?
    • What happens if you click on the URL field of one of those bank Login item in the main 1Password app?
    • What happens if you open one of those banking websites by choosing its Login item from the 1Password extension in Firefox?
    • What happens if you go to one of those bank sites first, and then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension?
    • When using the extension, do you click the 1Password icon in Firefox's toolbar, or do you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

Thanks in advance! :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi Drew & thanks for the detailed reply! :)

Let me see if I can answer your questions....

So, 1Password works correctly to fill & submit sign-in forms on all sites except those two specific banking sites? Yes.

At what specific point does the problem happen? In other words, is 1Password able to fill the username/password fields first, or does the problem happen the moment you select the Login item from the 1Password browser extension / mini?

**When I try to login to 1PW mini - first it rejects the password as wrong (even though correct). Then halfway thru re-entering my password, the whole computer crashes, grey screens! :( **

It will also help if you can let us know the following details:

Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? **Agile version**

What version of Firefox are you using? (From the Firefox app, go to Firefox > About Firefox to find the exact version number.)

Firefox 48.0.1

What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox? (Click the link for steps to find that.)

1PW 4.5.9

What are the exact steps you normally take to have 1Password fill your login credentials?

Normally, easy peasy - Login with mini, choose the correct login & done! (without issue)

Instead of using the 1Password extension/mini, try copying & pasting your username/password from the main 1Password app into the bank site(s). Does the same problem happen?

**Doing this works - without problem. It is just less convenient than the mini. **

What happens if you click on the URL field of one of those bank Login item in the main 1Password app?

**Normally works fine - I'll have to test this. **

What happens if you open one of those banking websites by choosing its Login item from the 1Password extension in Firefox?

** I'll have to test this. **

What happens if you go to one of those bank sites first, and then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension?

If you mean using the link within 1PW mini, I haven't tried this recently (see above)

When using the extension, do you click the 1Password icon in Firefox's toolbar, or do you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

I use the icon in the toolbar

I'll test the link within the mini- weblinks & let you know if 1PW works okay or same crash.

Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mtnbeach,

Thanks for your answers! That definitely helps, and if you can still try the other things I asked about and let us know what happens, that may also be helpful for us. We appreciate it! :)

When I try to login to 1PW mini - first it rejects the password as wrong (even though correct). Then halfway thru re-entering my password, the whole computer crashes, grey screens!

From this description, it seems that the problem happens when you're in the middle of typing your master password (for the second time) to unlock 1Password mini. In that case, no website form filling is taking place yet and it shouldn't matter what site you're currently viewing. So I don't know why this only seems to happen from a couple specific sites. Does the crash only happen if 1Password is locked when you go to the site and click the extension button?

Along with the other things you said you'll try, can you also please try this:

• Launch the main 1Password app (from the Applications folder) and unlock it with your master password.
    • Launch Firefox and go to one of those two banking websites (make sure you're viewing the page with the sign-in form).
    • Click on the 1Password extension icon in Firefox's toolbar.
    • Select the matching Login item for that site.

When you click the extension icon, it shouldn't ask for your master password because 1Password should already be unlocked. In that case, when you choose the Login for that site, does it properly fill it? Or does your Mac still reboot itself? You shouldn't normally need to go through all those steps of course - but the results of this test might be helpful in narrowing down the cause of the problem.

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew & sorry for the really long delay - just got crazy busy, so haven't been able to focus on this. Needless to say, I'm still having issues with 1 bank site crashing my system plus seems 1PW does not lock as set in preferences. The 2nd bank website seems to function fine now - no problems oddly. I'll have to retest your above suggestions & make notes, then revert. Thanks again for your assistance.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. - Since the crash is only a bank site - maybe I have some weird corruption on my system affecting 1PW (?) Not sure why also, the 1PW doesn't lock - that seems a separate issue to the crashing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome back, @mtnbeach. :)

Can you let us know which version of Firefox you're running now? And if you have Trusteer Rapport installed?

Trusteer Rapport can be troublesome, including causing system crashes, and it's not currently supported with Firefox 50. This article has instructions for uninstalling it:

Uninstalling Rapport on Mac OS X | Trusteer

Since the crash is only a bank site

If you do have it installed and the bank site requires it, you could try using the 1Password extension for Safari or Chrome for that site and see if it works without any crashing.

Not sure why also, the 1PW doesn't lock - that seems a separate issue to the crashing.

It also sounds like a separate issue to me. Let's return to it after we get a handle on what's causing crashing, if that's okay with you. :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk & thanks! Yes I have Firefox 50.0 & Trusteer. Hmmn - will try uninstalling it & if that doesn't work, maybe try Chrome. Will get to the other tests also.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good plan, @mtnbeach. :+1:

I'm pretty sure uninstalling Trusteer will banish the crashing, and then we can tackle the issue with 1Password not locking when you're expecting it to. We'll probably want to get a diagnostics report from that Mac.

Hear from you again soon, or feel free to take your time. :smile:

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.