To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Looking for bulk migration of items from local vault on iOS to shared online vault

bneely
bneely
Community Member

I set up 1Password on my iPhone the other day, and it syncs with iCloud. Today, using my MacBook Pro, I set up an online account. Using the iOS app, I scanned the QR code and added the account. But now I have two vaults, "Personal" for the online account which is empty, and "Primary" for the iOS instance which has 30 items. Using the iOS app, I see that I can move items one by one from one vault to another, although this is tedious.

Originally I was going to ask how to migrate between vaults, but I will instead treat this as feature requests. My first request is that when adding an account or an additional vault to the iOS app, I could be guided through some choices such as whether or not to migrate all local items into the shared online vault, or provided instructions with how to select and migrate individual items to another vault.

Also I believe both "Primary" and "Personal" are default vault names that were chosen for me. They are distinct but ambiguous. I would prefer that the default vault names reference their purpose and location in some way, such as "Primary online" or "Primary iOS". Or the vault names could be displayed alongside a detail message such as "Created on website" or "Created on iPhone".

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.1.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:merge vault

Comments

• Hi @bneely! Thanks for posting about this. We're currently making the migration experience from iOS much better, and there will be an update with a lot of the things you mentioned soon. :) I'd recommend waiting for it before migrating, or if you have a Mac, moving your data over with that and removing the old vault from your iPhone:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

The good news about the vault naming is that you don't need to think about that, since the vault should be the same across all your devices. If it had a different name on each device, it would mean the vault isn't syncing between your devices.

As a simple rule of thumb, Primary vaults are created outside accounts. Personal and Shared vaults are created in accounts. You can also create custom vaults of your own and organize things there. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.