Changing vault Passwords -

Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member

In our Family, we have two personal vaults and one shared vault. We have, and wish to continue having, a single Master Password for all these vaults. We have three MacBooks, two iPhones and two iPads. Now that much of our initial confusion has settled, we would like to change the Master Passwords. How do we go about changing these so that all vaults on all devices will have the new Master Password?

Based on my reading of Password threads, It appears to me the Emergency Kits have at the Personal Vault Passwords reflected in at least the QR code - so am I correct we will need to generate new Emergency Kits (which we store in our bank's lock box)? Will the Account key be changed when we change the Master Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Gordon101! Good question. With 1Password Families, we recommend each member uses their own Master Password. You can use the same one if it's better for your family. Change your Master Password on 1Password.com and it will automatically change on your devices.

Based on my reading of Password threads, It appears to me the Emergency Kits have at the Personal Vault Passwords reflected in at least the QR code - so am I correct we will need to generate new Emergency Kits (which we store in our bank's lock box)? Will the Account key be changed when we change the Master Password?

Sorry for the confusion here. Your Master Password is something only you know, so it's not included in the Emergency Kit automatically. We include a space at the bottom of the page for you to write it down after you print the Emergency Kit. You can print new Kits and write your Master Password on each of those after changing it, or you can use the old Kits since your QR code will stay the same.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

Jacob I am not communicating effectively on the Password issue. Let me try again with different words.

We understand we each have individual Master Passwords. I was under the impression when we login online a password was used which might be the same as one or more family member's Master Password.

When I login with my browser, the screen shows part of the Account Key, dots for part of the Account Key, my Email and a blank in which I key in the characters that happen to be my Master Password. Similarly my wife has the same screen, except the Email showing is her email address.

Are you saying there really are only two passwords? I had it in my mind for us there were three. One for my wife, one for me and the third for the OnLine system.

If there really are only two passwords, all is clear.

If there are three, I need to know how to change the third password - I know how to change the individual passwords for our two personal accounts.

Additionally - another subject.

Can we delete all the entries in our individual "Personal" vaults?
    Can we copy all the Shared Vault entries into our Personal vaults?

I know we can do these operations one item at a time, but I want to do them generally - at a minimum all Logins follow by all Credit cards, etc. Ideally all items at once.

• @Gordon101 Thanks for clarifying. There are indeed two Master Passwords. The Account Keys are different as well. Your wife sees her account info when signing in from her browser because she has signed in there before. If she tries to use your Master Password it won't work because she has her own to access her account. :) 1Password.com doesn't have a separate Master Password — it uses the ones you and your wife have, just like most accounts on websites do.

Can we delete all the entries in our individual "Personal" vaults?
    Can we copy all the Shared Vault entries into our Personal vaults?

These seem somewhat related, so I wanted to answer them at the same time. You can delete all the entries in your Personal vaults. It's easiest to do in 1Password for Mac or Windows, since you can select all the items by pressing Command or Control then A on your keyboard to select all the items. Then right click them and choose "Move to trash", or press the delete key on your keyboard. Before doing this, make sure you've backed things up somewhere — you don't want to lose your data. You can back things up by copying them as you mentioned.

You can copy the items in your shared vault to your Personal one in 1Password for Mac by selecting all the items and choosing Item -> Share -> Personal -> Copy from the menu bar. In 1Password for Windows, click Copy in the toolbar and choose Personal.

Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.