2nd vault on iphone gives error saying it can't find MBP for WLAN sync

Options
free
free
Community Member

My iphone 6 is running the latest 1P and my MBP is running 6.5.1 BETA 3 on the latest OS X.

Getting an error when I try to WLAN sync between them. I have 2 vaults. 1 syncs phone between them on Dropbox. The other is set to WLAN sync but am getting an error saying the phone can't see the other computer . Both are on same Wifi and MBP version has WLAN sync enabled, though in the "choose which vaults to sync" panel it shows the correct one but greyed out. Am not getting prompted for the secret. Is throwing an error. I filed a report.

I also have a similar problem trying to do this WLAN sync with another mac as well.

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @free,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Are you using any firewall/VPN/proxy on any of the devices? If you are using a firewall on the Macs (including the built-in macOS firewall) have you allowed 1Password to communicate through it?

Were you aware that you could sync both vaults through Dropbox?

Please let us know.

Ben

• free
    free
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

No firewall/VPN/proxy on anything.

Honestly I'm not even clear on how I ended up with 2 vaults. I'm looking to get all my devices in sync, starting with these two. What do you suggest doing next? Is it ok to merge them?

And thank you very much for the quick response!

• free
    free
    Community Member
    Options

I have 4 devices iphone, MBP, iPad and imac and none are in sync. I didn't understand how vaults worked and when i started using 1P on each just did what seemed to help me start working on each device. I'd like them all to sync to the same vault now. I've done a lot of clean up work on the MBP. How do I get them all to just use the main vault on that MBP? Do I merge everything?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@free: The question of merging vaults is really something only you can decide, since it's your data. But I think a more pressing matter is that you will not be able to sync all of those devices using the WLAN Server feature. It only works between a single computer (the server) and one or more mobile devices (the clients), so you cannot sync between the iMac and MacBook Pro using that method, for example. However, there are a few other options that will allow you to sync your data between all of your devices:

1Password sync options

Let me know how you'd prefer things to be setup and we can figure out the best way to sync and merge (or not) your data. :)

• free
    free
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I managed to WLAN sync the main vault between the iPad, iPhone and MBP. I don't know why it worked all of a sudden but that's great. Unfortunately I'd already gone through a ton of places in this vault to clean up and eliminate duplicates and better passwords and now I realize I'll eventually have to re do this. It seems to make sense to get all the devices on the same page first.

I use the iMac rarely enough and for few enough purposes that I can just manually input passwords there.

I think this is how I will sync.

Vault merging question (again it's my inexperience that is the only reason I have this many vaults. I don't quite understand where they came from. I'd just like to simplify everything now).
    •iphone has the main one I use and another I'll call T here
    •MBP has just the main one
    •iPad has main use plus T2 plus TT
    •imac has the main one plus T2

1. my goal is to get everything into the main vault and then just operate from that. If there is a compelling reason to keep separate vaults lmk. Given that I accidentally created them I have not current reason that means anything to me.
    2. if I merge vaults what happens? What are the benefits and risks?
    3. What is the best method for merging vaults step by step and what is the best order (if any) in which to merge them all?

Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@free: There are so many things it could be, and often folks simply restart a device and it works again. Sometimes it's just a silly glitch in the Matrix network. :sunglasses:

If you can't think of a reason to keep more than one vault, there probably isn't one. And if you decide down the road that you'd like another for whatever reason, creating another is easy — perhaps a little too easy. :lol:

The only risk when it comes to merging is if you merge vaults you don't want to. And since you want to put everything in a single vault, that simplifies things considerably. However, WLAN Sync is not well-suited to merging. A better option would be Dropbox. Folder Sync would also work, and functions similarly, but the challenge there would be that you'd need to get all of your various vaults on the Mac first. Dropbox really makes this a lot easier. I think you'll see why, since we want to be able to target individual vaults:

1. On each device, backup your 1Password data
    2. Setup Dropbox* sync on your MacBook Pro for your "main" vault
    3. Make a note of the the path in 1Password Preferences > Sync
    4. Setup Dropbox* sync on your iMac for your "T2" vault, and select the "main" vault you saved to Dropbox in step 2 as the target, and choose More Info to Merge the data
    5. Setup Dropbox sync on your iPhone for your "TT" vault, and select the same "main" vault again as the target, and choose More Info to Merge the data
    6. Repeat for the "T" vault on the iPad, if that's different as well, and choose More Info to Merge the data

*Note: The Dropbox app only needs to be installed on the computers

Finally, now that you've got all of your data in one place, it may be best to take the opportunity on one device to manage any duplicates resulting from the divergence, and afterward it may be best to get a clean slate in each of the apps with that single, definitive vault. But let's be sure that you've got all of that sorted out first. :)

• free
    free
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

This looks promising! I'm trying to do step one and when I go to back up my mobile devices as instructed at the link iTunes looks v diff than in your tutorial.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@free: Ah, it looks like you have "Updates" selected under "Apps". It looks like if you click on the little "iPhone" icon to the left (step 4) it should take you to the stuff stored on your device, where you can find Apps > File Sharing. I hope this helps! :)

• free
    free
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I'm through steps 1-6 now.

In terms of cleaning up is it safe to
    1. Delete all vaults other than having the Primary one that syncs to the same file on Dropbox on each device?
    2. Delete all the other prior back up files on Dropbox ?
    3. Delete something else called 1Password.agilekeychain on dropbox that seems offered as an alternative thing to sync to (this is different than the primary location I have been syncing to which ends .opvault ?
    4. go through all duplicate passwords etc?

Is there anything else I should do or not do in order to clean up and make things as secure as possible?

Thank you for your help breaking this down into simple steps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Ok I'm through steps 1-6 now.

@free: Great! :)

In terms of cleaning up is it safe to
    1) Delete all vaults other than having the Primary one that syncs to the same file on Dropbox on each device?

Yes.*

2) Delete all the other prior back up files on Dropbox ?

Yes.*

3) Delete something else called 1Password.agilekeychain on dropbox that seems offered as an alternative thing to sync to (this is different than the primary location I have been syncing to which ends .opvault ?

Yes.*

*Once you're using a single .opvault on all of your devices, then it's safe to remove any other superfluous OPVault or AgileKeychain vaults in Dropbox or on your computer(s). That will help avoid confusion in the future. When you setup a new device, you'll have only one vault to choose from when you configure sync. Easy! :)

4) go through all duplicate passwords etc?
    Is there anything else I should do or not do in order to clean up and make things as secure as possible?

I think you just (partially) answered your own question there! You can use the Security Audit feature in 1Password for Mac to help with this, since it can find duplicate passwords, which may be either entree items that are duplicates, or passwords that have been reused across multiple sites. The most important thing is that you use a long, strong, unique password for each website, so that if one is breached someone malicious cannot use it to access others. Just follow this guide to take you through the process:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Thank you for your help breaking this down into simple steps.

Any time! Happy to help! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.