Could you support Pattern to unlock 1Password instead of master password?

MhdAljuboori
MhdAljuboori
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Android

It would be so nice if you could add Pattern to unlock 1Password instead of master password.

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.0
Sync Type: Wireless
Referrer: forum-search:unlock Android

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MhdAljuboori: Studies have shown that pattern unlock is a poor substitute for a strong password, so we currently do not have plans to add this feature to 1Password. Ars Technica had a good article on the subject last year. And ultimately, since your Master Password is used to encrypt your data, it will always be needed. A pattern unlock is fun and convenient on a mobile device, but just kind of obnoxious on most computers. And we really want to keep 1Password secure and useful across a variety of devices. Certainly though if a better solution presents itself which takes into account these issues, it's something we can consider in the future. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• MhdAljuboori
    MhdAljuboori
    Community Member

Nice article! didn't know that it's not that secure, off course I don't want to use it!

Thanks for replying :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't mean to bash it. It's all relative after all: it's entirely possible to have a weaker passcode/PIN. But I feel like the takeaway on the pattern unlock is that, as users, we really are drawn to predictable patterns, and that doesn't do us any favours. :(

This discussion has been closed.