Why does 1Password show the 'new' login password but enters the old one into the login field?

Options
rlgeltman
rlgeltman
Community Member

I changed my login password for a website (Linksys router) and manually updated the password field in the 1Password program. When I try to login to the website, 1Password 'reveals' the password as the new one I entered but (itself) enters the old, replaced password. I have to copy and past to get the correct password entered. Why is this happening?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OS 10.12.1
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgeltman: Did you perhaps edit the password for this item by handing 1Password? It may be that the old one is saved as part of the "web form details" in the Login item from when you saved it in the browser initially. Try to manually save a new login for the site, and let me know if that helps. :)

• rlgeltman
    rlgeltman
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I solve the problem by deleting (trashing) the entire entry and creating a new one. But when trying to edit the defective login I saw no entries about web form details, etc., and no mention of the old password. In any case, problem easily solved for now. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgeltman: Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear that saving a login with your new credentials helped. This is what I was referring to:

Logins saved using the browser extension will often have some additional fields saved which can be viewed there by clicking. Many websites don't have a password field which is actually called "password", so changing the Password data listed at the top of the details by hand in the app may not update the data for the field name the website is expecting. If you're able to dig the old login out of the Trash and check that, I'd be interested to know what you find, since I'm not able to test it myself.

• rlgeltman
    rlgeltman
    Community Member
    Options

Under web form details, the deleted login shows the proper user name and (new) proper password. Down below is the same user name with the old password. I did change the password field by hand so I guess that's the issue. Has never happened before. Thanks for the quick feed back.

• rlgeltman
    rlgeltman
    Community Member
    Options

ps: the website login page actually says 'email address' rather than login name.

• Glad to hear it is working. Sometimes web sites are coded in a way that isn't as straightforward as we'd like. It looks like this may have happened here.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.