To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Use 1Password Account with multiple (Dropbox sync) vaults?

Options
makip
makip
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Memberships

Hello,

I'm a long time user who decided to subscribe to a 1Password Account. It works well for my data... but I now see that adding additional vaults that I share with others via Dropbox sync is not supported. Is this the case?

The people I share credentials with are not in the one "team" they are independent users with 1Password licences of their own. They have purchased licenses but don't wish to subscribe to an account, family or teams. Can I still add the shared vault as I did in the past when I used to sync my own vault on Dropbox, and switch between the vaults?

Double clicking the vault in the shared Dropbox folder results in the message "Can't open keychain - Importing from keychains is not currently supported in vaults from 1Password accounts".

Kind regards,
Maki

1Password Version: 1Password
Version 6.5.2 (652002)
Mac App Store
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.1
_Sync Type:
1Password account / Dropbox

Comments

• schrino
    schrino
    Community Member
    Options

I had a similar question. Can I sync my personal vault with dropbox and share a vault with a 1P account, for family members?

• Hi @makip! You can certainly add those Dropbox vaults in the app. First you'll need to enable vaults outside your account:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then click Advanced.
    3. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and enter your Master Password when prompted.

Now, to use the vaults that have been shared with you in Dropbox, double-click each one and enter the vault's password. :)

@schrino The Personal vault in 1Password Families is synced automatically, so it doesn't need to be synced with Dropbox. You can use a Personal vault as well as any shared ones you'd like in a family account. Learn how to create and share vaults in your family. Let us know how that goes.

• makip
    makip
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob, thanks for the quick reply.

I have a follow up question... this appears to result in the creation of a Primary local vault, in addition to the shared vault I want to access, and in addition to my 1Password Account data.

Why is this necessary? Can't I just have my 1P account and shared vaults without having an empty local Primary vault? I'm worried I may place something in there inadvertently. It's also a little inelegant and unnecessary perhaps? Where is this local Primary located?

Cheers,
    Maki

• @makip Good question. The Primary vault sets the Master Password for the app since it's the main vault. At the moment, 1Password for Mac works best with either an account or vaults outside it. Using both has a few hiccups. You could sync your Primary vault with one of the Dropbox vaults by clicking the Sync tab in 1Password's preferences and then syncing with the first vault you'd like to appear there. It will still be called Primary, but it may be better for you.

• makip
    makip
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, great idea - thanks @Jacob.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jacob, you are most welcome! I'm glad his suggestion helped. We're here if you need anything else! :)

• bigtex
    bigtex
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

At the moment, 1Password for Mac works best with either an account or vaults outside it. Using both has a few hiccups.

What kind of hiccups?

• @bigtex I responded to your main thread about this but wanted to address this comment here. The main issue with using an account on top of a Primary vault is the Primary vault will still be used to save passwords, which means they aren't synced to the account. If you decide to migrate to an account, you should remove your Primary vault so things aren't getting saved in a different place.

This discussion has been closed.