Accounts for Mac App Store Version

Options
Mr. K.
Mr. K.
Community Member

Does the app store version allow for accounts? I need access to mine and my wife's vaults on one Mac with one user. That's what I'm trying to accomplish.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mr. K.: Yes, the Mac App Store version of 1Password also supports 1Password Accounts.

But to be clear, you do not need to purchase the app if you subscribe to 1Password.com, since all of the apps (and web interface) are included. It also does away with license management and sync configuration entirely — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks. That indicates I will need to pay for a subscription. I want to avoid that. Do you anticipate the standalone version will eventually go away?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I certainly hope not! If people stop buying licenses we may have to reevaluate, but we don't have any plans to get rid of them at this time. Cheers! :)

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

I signed up for an account using the link from the standalone app. How do I merge my data from my mac to my.1password.com account? And then can I create a separate my.1password.com account for my wife who is uses 1Password through family share? Is there some online instructions for doing this? Looks to me like the online accounts for for new users, not those of us who've been around using 1Password for a long time.

• PAULSanta
    PAULSanta
    Community Member
    Options

I already purchased the mac app version, thinking that I was getting the family sharing features and multiple devices covered? I am reading your comments that I should have only purchased the 1password.com account/subscription. What are my options now?

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

PAULSanta, This is confusing which to buy, what the differences are, why buy one verses the other, can I use my.1Password.com with the stansalone version (still don't know that), etc. That's why I asked for instructions.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed this in my prefs which indicates I'm going to be asked to pay a monthly fee sometime soon. That's something I choose not to do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mr. K.: Correct. If you've signed up for the subscription service and are using the 1Password Account on your Mac, it will be frozen once your trial expires unless you setup billing.

but you certainly don't need to use the subscription service if you don't want to. Just move your data to a local vault and remove your account from the app there in Preferences, and you'll be all set. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PAULSanta: You can use Apple's Family Sharing feature to share the app between Apple IDs. And while it isn't nearly as easy as sharing using 1Password Families, you can use Dropbox to share individual vaults.

• PAULSanta
    PAULSanta
    Community Member
    Options

Thx, but my main objective is to keep all of my passwords in sync among my iPhone, iPad and Mac for myself. How does the vault stay in sync on the 3 devices?

• PAULSanta
    PAULSanta
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have a dropbox account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PAULSanta: A free Dropbox account is more than enough storage for 1Password data, and you can use the same vault on all of your devices if Dropbox syncs the data. So that's definitely an option. I've used Dropbox for years, and it's a great service. But it does require more configuration than 1Password Families.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,
    Let's go back to my original question with some clarification. I don't want to pay a subscription. I'm going to delete my wife's user from my iMac because she no longer uses the computer. I need to migrate her vault in her iMac user to my iMac user so I can manage her 1Password vault. How can I do that with the standalone version?

• Hi @Mr. K.

You can do that by exporting from her vault to a file. In her user account, open 1Password and choose Export All Items from the File menu. Then transfer that file to your user account.

When you switch over to your user account, create a new vault and name it for your wife's vault. Then switch to that vault, choose Import from the File menu and import the file you exported from your wife's user account. That should do it.

When you are finished, delete the exported file. It is not encrypted so you don't want to leave it around with all of her data in it.

Regards,
    Kevin

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the directions. I will give that a try and get back here if I have more questions.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Once that is done, then how will she access the info? I assume I share that newly created vault with her?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mr. K.,

In order for your wife to access & use her 1Password vault on another device (Mac, iOS, Windows, Android), you'll need to share that vault with her. The easiest way to share vaults with family members is with a 1Password Families account. But if you don't have / don't want to sign up for an account, you can use Dropbox instead.

To sync her vault via Dropbox, you can follow the steps here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

If she uses her own Dropbox account, you'll also need to set up Dropbox folder sharing so she can access the sync file for her vault. We explain how to do that here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

Once you've done that, she can choose to sync with that file in Dropbox when setting up the 1Password app on her own devices (Mac, iOS, Windows, Android).

If you need more help with any of that, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.