To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 6.5.1 on Mac requires account to set up vault

Puppet_IT
Puppet_IT
Community Member

Sorry if this question has been answered already, I couldn't seem to find anything about it in the forums.

I work for Puppet on our IT team, and we've been using 1password for years. Our default workflow is to have users set up a local vault on their machine, and use that to store passwords.

We have noticed that the most recent version of 1password (6.5.1) on OSX El Capitan no longer gives users the option to create a local vault without also creating a 1password account.

This makes the product harder for our end users to interact with as they now have to sign up for an account, and then open up the advanced settings in the app to allow local vault creation.

Right now we'd prefer to keep using the app standalone with licenses we've purchased, and not have vaults and licenses tied to individual employee accounts.

Is this a deliberate change in the process, or a bug?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Puppet_IT: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! This is by design. Definitely don't signup/login to a 1Password Account if you'd prefer to use local vaults. The best thing to do is to hold down the (Option) key when opening 1Password, and you'll have the option to start with a new local vault. Otherwise this is only offered if a local vault or license is detected. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.