1pw6 wlan multiple macs and ios

Options
holacat
holacat
Community Member

Hi there, I have two macs, an iPhone and iPad I want to set up Wi-Fi syncing as I am not comfortable with cloud. If I buy the latest 1password license will I be able to do that? Thanks!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @holacat,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help to sync your 1Password data!

The WLAN Server option is designed to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices, so unfortunately you won't be able to use that to sync 1Password between your two Macs. With your setup, the other sync options would be much better for you. However, if you don't want to use any cloud sync service, you could sync your iPhone and iPad with one Mac via WLAN Server / Wi-Fi, and use the Folder sync option to keep the Macs in sync with each other.

One way to do that is to configure Folder sync to point to a USB drive. 1Password can detect when that drive is connected to the Mac, and will sync with it. This doesn't use a cloud sync service at all, but you would need to remember to connect the drive to each Mac when you want to sync 1Password.

Alternately, you could configure Folder sync with a network drive. To do that, you would have Folder sync point to a local folder on each Mac, and then use a sync utility / file copy tool (such as Chronosync, rsync, SuperDuper, etc) on each Mac to copy the contents of that folder back and forth via the network drive.

As you can probably tell, that's a much more complicated way to sync your data, and using a network drive & file sync utility can be a bit fragile and is not really supported by us. It's much easier to sync via a 1Password.com account, iCloud, or Dropbox. We're very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your data without your master password. To learn more about cloud data security, please take a look at this knowledgebase article: How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

If you have questions about any of the options I mentioned or need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• holacat
    holacat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG , thanks for your prompt reply. If I go for the monthly subscription account, will I be able to share some of my passwords with another person without giving them permission to view or edit the password? Put another way, will I be able to share my password in such a way where the person can only use it but not view or edit it? Thanks!

• holacat
    holacat
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to ask, will I be able to do that share function with the regular one time purchase license as well ? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG , thanks for your prompt reply. If I go for the monthly subscription account, will I be able to share some of my passwords with another person without giving them permission to view or edit the password? Put another way, will I be able to share my password in such a way where the person can only use it but not view or edit it? Thanks!

@holacat: No. And even if that were possible, you should assume that anything you give them access to could be misused. After all, if they have the ability to login to your account, they can probably just change the password. Any secret which is shared is no longer a secret, and cannot be unshared. If you use 1Password Families or 1Password Teams, however, you can share vaults with other members of your Family/Team. This is important because the data is encrypted and only those you share the vault with can access it.

Forgot to ask, will I be able to do that share function with the regular one time purchase license as well ? Thanks!

Yep! Dropbox can be used to share local vaults. However, keep in mind that this will need to be configured for each vault on each device, and the other person would have to be using Dropbox as well.

While there is an item sharing function as well, it is not secure, so you would need to send the data via a secure channel.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.