duplicate passwords snafu

dgpitard
dgpitard
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

I'm having a lot of problems here. One of my computers wasn't syncing to dropbox. This was going on for days. I've gone through several attempts, but at the moment this is where I am:
—I logged in via the menu bar app. It would not let me log in from the main window.
—I tried to delete my Primary vault, to use just our family vault. But for some reason it won't accept my password to delete my Primary vault, though it worked to log in.
—I restored 1password from a backup, and tried to do it again. But this would not accept any master password either.
—now that I'm in, it won't let me change my master password

So, now, I have 3x the number of entries in my account, since it won't delete them. I've used 1password for years, but I'm altogether baffled here. And afraid to log out, frankly!

edit: my primary vault, visible on my desktop, has the correct number of entries. My personal vault in the family account has 3x the # of correct entries. On the web, I can see my personal vault, but not the primary vault.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox (just for primary vault)

Comments

• dgpitard
    dgpitard
    Community Member

That's a confusing note. Hopefully this will be clearer. I've restored 1password from a back up. I'm not logged in to the family vault on the desktop. It won't let me re-set my password, since it won't accept my original password. I can reset the family password on line, but this doesn't affect the desktop.

• Hi @dgpitard ,

Is all of your data in your Family account? You can log in via a web browser to check. If so, we can reset 1Password completely and it will use your account's password.

Let me know, and we can help you proceed.

Regards,
    Kevin

• dgpitard
    dgpitard
    Community Member

I can login to my family account and see them all in "personal." my "primary" account is not among those on the family account page any more. So, if that will be ok, your suggestion sounds great.

• ag_kevin
    edited December 2016

Hi @dgpitard ,

The primary vault is only stored locally and is not synced to your account. So if you set up 1Password before adding your account, that could explain it.

So, to start over, lock 1Password and choose "Reset All 1Password Data" from the Troubleshooting menu in the Help menu. That will make a backup, and then erase your 1Password data on your computer.

When you restart 1Password again, click the Sign In button and sign into your account. It will then bring down all of your data from your account and you should be good to go.

Regards,
    Kevin

• dgpitard
    dgpitard
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

That did it! One follow up: there remain duplicate entries. Is there a way to find and delete the extras, or do I need to back and do this one at a time?

And a second, probably silly question: if I sync my desktop apps, on my several computers, to the on-line family account, do I need the dropbox sync?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @dgpitard!

there remain duplicate entries. Is there a way to find and delete the extras, or do I need to back and do this one at a time?

Are all those items in the same vault? If so, you'll need to go through and delete each duplicate item. That's probably easiest to do if you select 'All Items' in the main 1Password app and sort the list by title (which is the default setting). You can scroll through the list to find & view the duplicates, then delete the ones you don't need.

Or do you happen to have multiple vaults, and all the items in one vault are the same as all the items in the other vault (essentially a "duplicate vault")? If so, you could either delete the "duplicate vault" or delete all of the items within that vault.

if I sync my desktop apps, on my several computers, to the on-line family account, do I need the dropbox sync?

All the data in your 1Password Families account is automatically synced through our own server, so you won't need Dropbox for that. In fact, if you don't have any local vaults in the 1Password app (like "Primary"), you won't even see the Sync tab in Preferences because there are no sync settings to configure with an account.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.