Do both primary and private vault use the same Dropbox backup file? Separate?

Options
randbach
randbach
Community Member

I created a separate vault from my primary on my iMac and moved logins, etc. However, my MacBook is not recognizing the change - no vault, only primary. Do both primary and vault use the same Dropbox file or should a separate file have been created? If I select the same backup file in Dropbox it says it will merge data from Primary and Vault. I have read everything I can in the Knowledgebase but must be missing something. I have updated all software and operating systems. Stumped. Thank you.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randbach: I sounds like you may not have Dropbox setup to sync your 1Password data on all of your devices...or they're syncing with separate vaults. Please follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem:

Dropbox troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• randbach
    randbach
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Password1 is setup and has been functioning on all of my devices quite well for quite some time. I have studied the link you provided, as well as everything else I can devour in the Knowledge base. The problem is those other devices do not recognize the new vault I set up. This is what I do not know how to answer: "Synch [vault name] with ________". I do not know what file to use when I synch that vault. The only Dropbox connection I can find is the one agilekeychain that already exists for my primary. However, If I select it then I am informed both my primary and vault will be merged. Is that what I want or is it just a circle? My question remains, to what file do I synch the new vault? Do I need another agilekeychain on Dropbox? Do I allow the vault and primary to merge, which it would seem would just take me back to square one before I carved out the new vault? How do I setup a synch for the vault that keeps it separate from the primary while synching with all of my devices? That is my hurdle of understanding. Thanks again, brenty..

• @randbach,

Indeed, there would be a separate agilekeychain(or opvault) file in dropbox for each vault you intend to sync. Those additional agilekeychain files would then need to be double clicked on the secondary machines in order to set them up. A similar process would be necessary for any iOS/Android devices in order to set them up in the mobile versions.

Rudy

• randbach
    randbach
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I feel like I am going in a circle. How do I find or obtain the separate agilekeychain for my vault? I created the vault and everything there seems in order but when I attempt to synch there is only one Dropbox agilekeychain available, the one that supports my primary. I am missing something here. I set up everything on Dropbox a couple of years ago so it isn't like I can't read instructions. Where is the agilekeychain for the new vault I created? How do I get that? Probably sounds stupid but at this point I feel eligible for the classification LOL. Thanks for your patience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randbach: Ah, sorry for the confusion there! Sure, you'll have an existing AgileKeychain in Dropbox since you're syncing your Primary vault. Don't select that unless you want to merge the data! If, however, you select a folder when choosing the location — as opposed to an existing vault — 1Password will create it there for you:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• randbach
    randbach
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your patience. You helped fill in the gap in instructions! I have created the personal vault file in Dropbox, as per your guidance. It is in the same Dropbox account as my primary vault. My home iMac, where I created it, sees the file in Dropbox. My secondary device also sees the file in Dropbox but Password1 on the secondary device does not yet recognize that vault. I have opened the Dropbox vault file on both machines and double-clicked the vault file. I have rebooted both machines. I have attempted to synch, but the secondary machine only recognizes my primary, not the extra personal vault. I believe I have followed knowledge base instructions but must be missing something. How do I get Password1 on my secondary machine to recognize the personal vault I created in Dropbox? Thanks again for your continued assistance. I believe I am almost there.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randbach,

To add the second vault to 1Password on your other Mac(s), browse to your Dropbox folder on that Mac and find the new sync file, then double-click on it. That should open the 1Password app and prompt you to create a new vault (if 1Password was locked, you'll need to enter the master password for your Primary vault first).

If that's what you've already tried, can you elaborate on what happens once you double-click on that sync file? The more details you can give us about the steps you take and what happens, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• randbach
    randbach
    Community Member
    Options

When I double-click the opvault folder it opens a default folder. When I double-click that folder I see a number of band... files. I tried this with Password1 opened and with it closed, with the same result. Sorry for this ongoing hassle. i have obviously missed something. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randbach,

By any chance, are you double-clicking on the .opvault from the dropbox.com website in a browser? If so, that's why it's not working. The .opvault sync "file" is actually a package / bundle (basically a special type of folder) which is made up of hundreds of smaller files. On the Mac operating system it looks and works like a file, but on dropbox.com it looks and works like a folder.

If you're finding the .opvault in your account on the dropbox.com website, you can close that site (and/or the browser itself) because you won't need it. Instead, you need to browse to the local Dropbox folder on your Mac (i.e. from the Finder). Normally, the Dropbox folder is located here: Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac username]/Dropbox/

Once you've opened the Dropbox folder, find your .opvault sync file there. If you created it in the default location, it will be here: ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/[vault name].opvault

Once you find that, double-click on it. Does it work as expected now?

• randbach
    randbach
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo!!!! That was it. I am in. Thanks for hanging with me to find the fix! I appreciate it and have long loved Password1. I can't imagine going back to what it was like before I began using Password1. Creating a separate vault has been on my To Do list for too long. Conquered!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.