1password not asking to save logins on Windows 10

Options
XstalProject
XstalProject
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I just purchased Surface Pro 4 and 1Password is not asking to save logins. I have other computers such as Windows 7 for work and Macbook Pro for personal, and they are all working fine. I tried searching online troubleshooting but no luck. Yes, I did reinstall/install multiple times all the basic troubleshooting.

Where do I even enter my License Key on this new upgraded 1Password on Windows 10?
I can't add new item manually.
I can't delete Trash.
Is 1Password even compatible with Windows 10?

I'm having so many issues on Windows 10. Please help me out.

1Password Version: 6.1.308d
Extension Version: 6.1.308d
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XstalProject,

1Password 6 for Windows is still very much in its infancy and at the moment is focussed on supporting our 1Password Accounts (Teams, Families & Individuals). It has very limited support for accessing the Agile Keychain and OPVault containers that 1Password 4 for Windows used and it only does so in a read-only state. I believe this is why 1Password isn't asking if you want to save, because it can't save to a local 1Password vault - only to a vault inside a 1Password account.

This is also why you can't enter your licence key. As 1Password 6 for Windows doesn't support standalone vaults yet there is no need to support adding a licence.

You can learn more about our 1Password accounts (a subscription based service) at 1Password but if you simply want to continue using your existing licence with your Agile Keychain/OPVault then you can by uninstalling 1Password 6 for Windows and installing 1Password 4 for Windows, the version of 1Password that not only supports local vaults but is also the version you're licensed for.

You should find all the normal 1Password then returns. Now 1Password 4 for Windows is built for a desktop environment so I don't know what you can expect to see when using tablet mode. Accessing 1Password 4 for Windows in desktop mode though should be just as you remember it.

If you have any questions at all please do ask.

• XstalProject
    XstalProject
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I'll just install 1Password 4.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XstalProject,

If you run into any trouble at all let us know but everything should work :smile:

• XstalProject
    XstalProject
    Community Member
    Options

what is the advantage of having subscription plan over standalone app?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @XstalProject,

For me the following points are ones that stand out.

• With a 1Password account we host the data. Responsibility for backups, data availability and syncing are all transferred to us. All you should need to do is sign into your account to see all your vaults and the loss of a device is not the loss of the data.
    • Access to the 1Password client on all supported platforms for as long as you have the account. Every so often a new version will be a paid update with licences as it's the only way a software company can stay afloat. Developers cost money, support costs money and so on. The subscription cost covers everything.
    • Vault and user management is much better when you have a server-client model like the 1Password accounts have.

Now if you're not a fan of subscriptions (some people aren't) or you're anti-cloud then a licence is the way to go. You purchase the licence for a particular version and then you can run that version for as long as you want/can. At some point a new version will become available and it may be a paid upgrade. It may be you need the paid upgrade if you've recently updated your computer and the older version is no longer compatible and 1Password 3 for Mac is an example where by the time we were reaching OS X 10.11 all sorts of things were breaking. It had been something like 3 years since 1Password 3 was last updated and changes made by Apple meant this older version simply couldn't work any more.

The likes of the Family account can also mean the costs of a subscription don't seem that high too. $4.99 a month covers a family of 5 users while a newly purchased 1Password licence is only for a single user now. So if you can make full use of a family licence it probably works out not too badly.

The fact is subscriptions and where your data resides are two very divisive topics so there is likely to be a lot of passionate language either way. Licences are still available to those that wish them and hopefully we get the balance right so that everybody can be happy.

This discussion has been closed.