I can't get 1Password to accept my PW and could be related to previous trial version.

Options
jmboyles
jmboyles
Community Member

I started testing 1password in October and did not complete it. Since then I decided to move forward with it but did not remember my password. As I could not remember my PW I created a new account with a new email address and Downloaded new 1password executables. It appears there is some residual data as I can log into the app but not the browser app. I've removed the extension from Chrome and tried again but that did not work. I read the support page and the files in the folders specified were not there to delete. At this point don't know how to move forward. Is there a way to wipe all history from my Macbook pro and start with my new account I set up today?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmboyles: Sure thing! Just open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and you can start over. Just make sure you have the latest version (1Password menu > Check for Updates).

However, before you start you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

You'll also get a 30 day free trial. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jmboyles
    jmboyles
    Community Member
    Options

I can't open 1Password in my browser, the original issue, with my master password. I can log into the site via the browser and I can change my password successfully but not via the browser extension. All the previous comments apply as to trying to remove and reinstall. I've also just tried to sign up for a family account and my only choices were the $2.99 or $3.99 options not the $4.99 option. There appears to be something fouled up between my laptop and OnePassword data. What I want to do is get the Family version working on my laptop. Is there a way I can have someone walk me though this at a mutually agreed on time and date?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmboyles,

I apologize for the delayed response! Just to make sure I understand the problem: You started using 1Password 6 on your Mac in October, but you don't remember the master password you chose at that time. More recently, you signed up for a 1Password.com account. You're able to sign into your account from the 1Password.com website, but you cannot unlock 1Password from the browser extension because it won't accept your master password. Is that all correct?

The 1Password browser extension doesn't actually connect to the 1Password.com website - instead, the extension connects to the 1Password app on your Mac. If you open the main 1Password 6 app (which should be located in the Applications folder), that should also ask you to unlock it with your master password. Are you able to unlock the main app?

If not, I suspect the 1Password 6 app on your Mac is still asking for the original master password you chose back in October. Did you follow the steps Brenty gave you to reset the 1Password data on your Mac? That won't do anything to the data in your 1Password.com account, it just removes the data stored locally on your Mac which is associated with your previous (forgotten) master password. Please open the main 1Password app on your Mac, then go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data from the menubar. Follow the on-screen instructions.

After that, the next time you launch 1Password 6, it should be like running it for the first time. Click the 'Sign in' option, and you'll be able to sign in to your new 1Password.com account. Once the app is set up, you should also be able to use the browser extension.

Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.