Feedback on 6.2.328

zendnez
zendnez
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Very excited about this release. You guys are getting very close to a state of feature completeness that will allow me to move to the cloud and the new release.

Here's some quick feedback:

• I can't figure out how to create a new field or to change the type of an existing field. The only new field modification widget I see is the red circle with a minus sign that allows me to delete a field. That works. But no evidence of create field or change type. I wonder if it somehow got left out of this build.

• I like the visual indication of the targeted field but the drop shadow is too big and too black. It looks like it was drawn with a sharpie. It could be significantly subtler without being less effective.

• Haven't mentioned this before but I think there is too much vertical whitespace in your vault/category/tag list and in your item list. If you look at your Mac and Windows versions side by side, you'll see that your Mac version has greater vertical density. I think that looks much better. Compare it also to apps like Outlook, Mailbird, or other apps with list views and I think you'll see something similar. Any chance I can convince you to tighten it up a bit?

Looking forward to trying the form field editor!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Can you show a picture of the first bullet? I don't see any difference in this version from the last version in terms of editing capabilities.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016

Hi @zendnez,

Thanks for writing in with your feedback, that's very valuable for us.

Very excited about this release. You guys are getting very close to a state of feature completeness that will allow me to move to the cloud and the new release.

I'm glad to hear that.

I can't figure out how to create a new field or to change the type of an existing field.

That's a very good observation we've missed, we will improve this to make it easier to see where you can start typing into a custom field.

For now, you have to create a custom section to store the new custom fields. To do this, type into the Section placeholder, then start typing into the first field and you'll see the buttons show up on both sides.

I like the visual indication of the targeted field but the drop shadow is too big and too black. It looks like it was drawn with a sharpie. It could be significantly subtler without being less effective.

We agree, these are just the default settings right now. Our current focus is to make sure the editor is solid before we work on the UI. We don't want to spend too much time on the UI if we're going to replace something afterward.

We will reduce the shadow opacity in a future update.

Haven't mentioned this before but I think there is too much vertical whitespace in your vault/category/tag list and in your item list.

We agree, we're not at that stage where we can polish up the entire interface just yet, we're still focusing on the core features and we want to ensure 1Password is still usable on all devices it runs on, such as touchscreen tablets which would benefit from the whitespace.

We may, and this is a very big may, add an interface option in a future update for a very dense/compact interface, something like what we have in 1Password 4 for Windows and the top layout in the macOS version of 1Password.

Again, thank you, and place let me know if you got the custom fields working out now.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Are these changes only for non-local vaults?

• Hi @burn123,

Yes, these require writable vaults, which means 1Password.com only at the moment.

Note that these changes we're making will apply to local vaults too once we add full write support for local vaults.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

So are you working to fully implement editing for 1password.com accounts, and then you will work on local vaults?

• MikeT
    edited December 2016

Hi @burn123,

We're working on completing the editor itself, the editor writes to the database, which then sends the data to where it needs to go, such as 1Password.com account or local vault files.

Basically, if we stop now and change the database to handle writing to the local vaults, we do not have to change the editor to support local vaults.

Full local vault support is coming in the near future, it's near the top of our list next to more 1Password mini improvements.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Good Morning.

Just downloaded the update, and really like being able to add a second url to an existing vault entry - it was for the 1Password forums (the beta url referenced in the new update, actually!) - and it worked beautifully. To add more than one additional url, an additional section needs to be created to accommodate a third (or more) url, is that right? But on this point, thank you - great work!

Visually, the "highlighting" of fields when editing an entry is a nice touch - speaking just for myself, I very much like the shadow opacity effect as-is. I also understand that's a subjective thing...

Appreciate the stated philosophy of firming up the guts/functionality before polishing the UI - makes so much sense - and it's nice to see the incremental updates such as in ver 6.2.328d.

Thank you for hearing us :+1:

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification on custom fields. I get it now :) The difference is that on the Mac, the custom section displays the "label" and "new field" edit boxes below the custom section header. Now that you've explained it, I can confirm that it works. Hopefully you just copy what's on the Mac.

Regarding vertical spacing - I understand your point about touch screens and also appreciate that you're working on functionality and will get to additional UX polish.

Thanks again for the response. It's appreciated.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

@southernforge:

To add more than one additional url, an additional section needs to be created to accommodate a third (or more) url, is that right?

No, you just start typing in the website field and 1Password will append a new website field automatically for you, like this:

As I'm adding the third URL, the empty website field is created below it automatically. Once saved, it'll turn into this:

This isn't the final design, the editor should append the website label in real time, rather being appended when you save it. This will be improved in a future update.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

That is awesome! Thank you :-)

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.