Keyboard shortcut brings up right click menu

Options
Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

After the latest update, whenever I use the keyboard shortcut to auto fill (Ctrl+, in my case), it brings up a right click menu in the top left corner, just as if I would've right clicked in the top left corner of the screen. This happens no matter what size the browser window is, which means that it right clicks whatever happens to be in the top left corner; desktop/other app/etc.

If I have the browser window maximized auto submit works, but since the right click menu pops up I have to left click on the webpage to bring focus back to it so I can paste a OTP for example. If I run the browser in a smaller window and have the desktop in the background when I use the shortcut 1PW fills in the credentials but doesn't auto submit them and then it just right clicks the desktop in the top left corner which of course brings the browser out of focus.

I tried changing the key to different buttons, to see if it would make any difference but to no avail.

This happens on two different computers and two browsers; Firefox and Chrome. Both computers have Windows 10 and the latest version of 1PW.

1Password Version: 6.1.308d
Extension Version: 4.6.2 (Firefox) 4.6.2.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Hi @Backspaze,

Thanks for writing in with this report. That is unusual and I'm not seeing this yet.

First, we don't send any right-click menu in any situations, including keyboard shortcuts. The one click event we do send is the focusing of 1Password mini but only when you click on the 1Password icon in the browser, shortcuts aren't involved.

Do you use any tool on your system to manage your shortcut and/or mouse, like AutoHotKeys?

By the way, auto-submit is only available in Firefox, it is not supported in Chrome.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't use any tools for managing shortcuts, so there's nothing I can think of that would interfere in that way. I haven't experienced this issue in earlier versions and since this issue came with the latest update on both my work and home computer I kind of thought that I would see some more posts about this in the forum.

I turned off auto-submit on my work computer (where I use Chrome) a long time ago (when I was still using Firefox on that computer) because it didn't play well with some of our systems, so I wasn't aware of the lack of support for it on Chrome. The behavior with 1PW causing right clicks is still the same as on my home pc though.

I'm using a Swedish keyboard, naturally with a Swedish keyboard layout in Windows. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it as I recall some issues with it when you introduced the shortcut, see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66997/keyboard-shortcut-ctrl-alt.

• Hi @Backspaze,

On your Swedish keyboard, is there menu button that brings up the shortcut near "Control"? Like this:

If yes, that might be the reason, Windows may be intercepting AltGr as the menu shortcut.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using a Logitech K750. That button is accessed by FN+print screen on that keyboard.

It's only the Ctrl+, for auto filling that's causing the right click menu to pop up. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+, or Alt Gr+, brings up 1PW mini as it should.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Backspaze: I love my Logitech keyboards, which are different from the one you're using, but I've encountered some odd issues like this with keys not behaving the way I'd expect them to. Are you using their software, which seems to be called "SetPoint"? I've had mixed results with this: with some devices it improves the experience; with others it seems to make it worse. I think this may be why: when doing a search for your keyboard, I'm only offered a version from 2014. But there appears to be a newer version from about a year ago which also lists your keyboard as supported. I'd say give both of those a try. It may be that some key codes are not interpreted properly using your current drivers. Let me know what you find!

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    I will see what I can find.
    But just a quick question. Do you have any clue about why this started happening now with the latest update?

I tried with a different keyboard - same result. But I noticed that for sites with multiple matches (where I have to choose which login to use in 1PW mini) it all works as it should.

• Hi @Backspaze,

I've asked the developers and they said they didn't change anything related to the shortcuts or the direct fill method. It may be something else in the same area, we're still trying to reproduce this internally, so far nothing yet.

For now, can you try disabling all of the TOTP/auto-submit/animation fill options and see if it does anything? You can find them in Settings > Options > Browser > Page Filling in the main 1Password window.

Let me know how it turns out.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'm not using SetPoint as I consider it bloatware and the keyboard works and has worked fine without it, except for this 1PW issue that is. I tried installing SetPoint any way which just made it worse in my case. Instead of right clicking the top left corner I guess it's left clicking that same corner because it switches focus to the leftmost tab in my browser.

I'm a righty but I use my left hand to control the mouse and naturally have switched the buttons in Windows to lefty mode. SetPoint overwrites those settings when I install it and defaults to right hand mode. Switching the mouse buttons in SetPoint to left hand mode doesn't make any difference with the behavior above; it still left clicks the top left corner. So the only difference with SetPoint installed is that I get a left click instead of a right click.

Since I'm running out of ideas I might as well mention that the mouse I'm using is a Logitech M510 and it's connected to the same Unifying receiver as the keyboard. This keyboard and mouse setup is the same on both my work and home PC. I will try to get my hands on another mouse and keyboard (probably wired) and uninstall my K750 and M510 to see what happens.

Another thing to note here is that the keyboard, for some reason, installs two devices as you can see in the image below from my device manager. The two "HID Keyboard Device" are always there. If I uninstall those and reboot the computer they're back as soon as I log back in again. The two posts called "Logitech HID..." gets added when I install the SetPoint software. DuckDuckGoed (yes really) a bit about it and it seems to be normal behavior so it probably has no impact on this particular issue.

@MikeT I disabled all those settings as you said, but it didn't make any difference in this case.

In summary:

Problem began with latest update to 1PW. No other changes made to either computer. One minute I was auto filling with the previous version, got a notice in 1PW about an update, installed the update and then auto fill shortcut causes the right click menu to pop up in the top left corner.

The good:
    Pressing Ctrl+Alt+, or Alt Gr+, brings up 1PW mini as it should.
    Sites with multiple matches in 1PW works as they should

The bad:
    SetPoint made no difference/made it worse.
    Turning off auto-fill settings in 1PW didn't help.
    Tried a wired keyboard - made no difference

The ugly:
    Remove wireless mouse, keyboard and receiver along with any leftover drivers and try with another (wired) keyboard and mouse.

• MandyK
    MandyK
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing this too after the most recent update (6.1.308d), except that I have my taskbar at the top of the screen so it results in the Start menu opening instead of a right click menu. I have auto-submit turned off and have tried with and without animations, with the same result.

• Hi @MandyK,

Which keyboard / layout are you using, are you also using Swedish as Backspaze?

• MikeT
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi guys,

I believe I've managed to reproduce this, I'm going to file a bug report to get this fixed. I couldn't get the right-click menu to show up but I've been able to make it show me a click instead by opening a full screen app behind Chrome or Firefox and when I did the direct fill with one item, it focused the full screen app behind the browser, which suggested a click was triggered on that app.

I think this is 1Password sending a click event because it was expecting 1Password mini to show up.

ref: #759

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@MandyK and @MikeT "Glad" to see that someone else was able to reproduce this, was beginning to think I was the only one experiencing this issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quick fix and will hold off on "The ugly"-part above as I do not own another keyboard at this moment, and it doesn't really seem to be relevant anymore.

• Hi @Backspaze,

Yep, thanks for reporting this as it was difficult to see the issue.

The good news is that our team has already fixed this internally and we should have it available in the next beta update.

• HS_
    HS_
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I'm using 1Password 6.1.308d and this thing keeps happening on my computer :(
    Has this issue been resolved yet?
    I'm using Google Chrome 55.0.2883.87 (official build) m (64bit), and I use the Korean Dubeolsik(두벌식) keyboard layout.
    My hotkey combination is Ctrl+[Alt+]+\ if this makes any difference.

I keep getting this window:

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@HS_ I brought this up in another thread (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/72335/keyboard-shortcut-brings-up-right-click-menu#latest) and according to that it has been solved.

• HS_
    HS_
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@Backspaze Oh, I should have looked into it more before posting that comment.. Thank you very much, have a nice day!

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi guys,

We've shipped the 6.2.328d beta update a few days ago, can you try it and let us know if it is working better now.

• Hi @HS_, I've merged your thread into the other thread that Backspaze mentioned.

Please give the 6.2.328d beta update a try, it should address that issue.

This discussion has been closed.