1password extension on Firefox opens in Chrome

MrLucky
MrLucky
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Mac

I have the 1password extension in firefox and Chrome.
If I am using firefox, then click on the 1password icon and choose "Websiste:Open and fill", it opens the website login and fills, but in Chrome instead of Firefox

How can I make the Firefox extension open and fill in Firefox?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@MrLucky: You posted in the iOS category of the forums, but seems like you might be using 1Password on a computer. is that correct? It sounds like the URL is opening in your default browser, which you'll need to configure in the system settings. Are you using a Mac or a PC? The version numbers you gave could go either way. Thanks in advance! :)

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

I had no idea about ios forum, I just clicked on post discussion, move it if you want.

Yes I am on a iMac with OS 10.11.6

Chrome is my default browser which I want, but if I'm using Firefox and I'm using the Firefox 1password extension, then surely it should open in Firefox not Chrome - irrespective of default browser.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @MrLucky! I see what you mean now.

When you click "open and fill" or on the URL field in a Login item, it will always open that website in your Mac's default browser. Instead of doing that, simply click on the Login item in the extension - in other words, don't view the item details, just click on the Login from the list of items. That should open the site and/or fill your login credentials in the current browser.

Does that help? Please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

That would be good, except that it doesn't do that unless you are on the actual login page already. What you should do is be able to click on the Open and fill link (which would be the link to the login) and have it do that on the browser you have open, without switching to another browser that just happens to be your default.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrLucky: Right. If you click the 1Password icon in your browser, it should open the URL in that browser, regardless of your system default; the browser itself handles the URL in that case, much like clicking a URL on a webpage loaded in the browser. However, if you're clicking a URL in the main 1Password app, this URL is handled by the OS and should open in your default browser. Does that make sense?

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

I understand that, however I want to open from the "Open and Fill" website link, because one site can have different logins, hence two or three different login URLs.

You will see that in 1password edit box there is the option for Website1, Website2 etc.

The method you mentioned will open the first URL, but if I want to use the second or third, then I use the links I see in the edit box on the left after hovering on the site name in 1password after clicking the icon

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

I just did some more testing, and it seems with Firefox just clicking on the 1password icon does not open the login URL and log in. (It does login if you are already on the login page of course)

But if you are just on the site home page, then it does nothing, you must go to the edit box and Open & Fill, and then you get the problem of it opening in the other (default) browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrLucky: Ah, I think I understand now. Thanks for elaborating! Though I'm not sure that this is what you're referring to since your screenshot seems to be showing the main 1Password app (and clicking a URL there will result the system opening the default browser), I did notice the following:

If you click the title of a login in the browser extension, it will open in the current browser. But if you hover over the login item and then click one of the URLs in that menu (website 1, website 2, etc.), it will open in the default browser.

Is that what you're referring to? If not, it may at least be related. I'm not sure if we can change this behaviour since, again, the system URL handler will always use the default browser, but it's certainly something we can look into. Let me know what you think!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrLucky: Yeah that sounds like we may me looking at the same thing then. But can you tell me what you mean by "site home page"? Can you give me an example, with exact steps? Clicking the 1Password icon should open the menu, not log you in. You can use ⌘ \ to have 1Password fill the login for the current URL though.

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

Here is an example.

I go to bt.com

I click on the 1password icon

If I click on the sitename (in this case "bt" outlined in red) then nothing happens

1 password has two logins in this case: home and business

To open 1 of my two bt accounts I have to hover over that so the pane opens up on the left and I can click on the Open & fill website (outlined in a very tasteful green)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrLucky: Thank you so much! That's what I'm seeing as well. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. As I mentioned, this is handled by the system just like clicking a URL in any other app. We're hoping to do some work on 1Password's Go & Fill functionality in the future though, so I've added this information to our tracker so we can take this into account to try to have 1Password handle this itself to make it more consistent. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

ref: OPM-4635

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

"Thanks for bringing this up!"

You are welcome.

However there is still a problem, unless I'm misunderstanding.You said above:

_"Right. If you click the 1Password icon in your browser, it should open the URL in that browser, regardless of your system default; the browser itself handles the URL in that case, much like clicking a URL on a webpage loaded in the browser. "__

However when you click the 1password icon, and you are already on a site, clicking on the site's icon does nothing

So for example if I am on the main page of the this forum but not logged in site, then click on 1password browser icon, I get this:

But if I click on 1PasswordForum nothing happens. In order to login I have to go to the other page, with Open & Fill.

However if I'm not on the site, and then click on the icon and use search I can click on the 1PasswordForum it does open without having to go to the other (Open & Fill) page.

Seems to be inconsistent.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@MrLucky: Indeed. In your example, you are already at discussions.agilebits.com, so 1Password isn't going to open a new page for discussions.agilebits.com; rather, it just tries to find a login form to fill your credentials. Otherwise any time you tried to login, you'd get another tab opened, even thought you're already at the page you wanted to be at. I hope that helps clarify things!

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

Yes, you are right, I am already at the site. But not at the login.

What I mean is, I can be at the home page, but when I click on the name it doesn't find the login as exptected. To do that I have to then go to the _Open & Fil_l link.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrLucky: Thanks for clarifying! Indeed, it would be nice if 1Password was able to intuit that you're already at the website but not at the specific page you want when you tell it to fill the login. I'm not sure this is possible given the current state of technology, but perhaps someday. Personally, I find it easier to, when I want to go to a site and login, not open the site manually first and just have 1Password do it for me in the mean time. Cheers! :)

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

"when I want to go to a site and login, not open the site manually first and just have 1Password do it for me in the mean time. Cheers!"

But unless I'm mistaken, for that you have to do a search in 1password as opposed to just clicking a bookmark for the site.

What I don't understand is if it can open the site login from a search, why can't it do that from when it's already showing because you are at the site (but not yet at the login)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But unless I'm mistaken, for that you have to do a search in 1password as opposed to just clicking a bookmark for the site.

@MrLucky: It's up to you of course, but to me it feels pretty redundant to click a bookmark and then also load another page with 1Password. I just use 1Password to Go & Fill in the first place — cut out the middleman. ;)

What I don't understand is if it can open the site login from a search, why can't it do that from when it's already showing because you are at the site (but not yet at the login)

Again, you're expecting 1Password to know your intent. You're already at the site matching the saved login, so 1Password interprets you selecting that login as you trying to use it to fill. It has no way of knowing that you want it to ignore the fact that you're already at the site and load a different URL for you. If I were a tiny person in your computer that did the same job 1Password does, I wouldn't know the difference either.

Look at it this way: if you're at https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target= and click the forum login (or use the keyboard shortcut), don't you want 1Password to try to fill it? Or would you prefer that 1Password first loads the login item's URL — even though you're already at the login page — before trying to fill? You can't have it both ways, unfortunately.

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

Sorry I'm not explaining myself very well.

Yes if I was here:

"Look at it this way: if you're at https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target= and click the forum login (or use the keyboard shortcut), don't you want 1Password to try to fill it?"

Then yes, of course I would want 1Password to fill it.

All I am expecting is to be consistent behaviour whether you get the 1Password from a search or because it's already there as you are on the site (but not the login) already.

" I just use 1Password to Go & Fill in the first place — cut out the middleman. ;)"

I would love to do that, but that is the problem of my original post, that is only any good if I am already using my default browser.

I will try and think of a better way to explain what I mean.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@MrLucky,

Yeah, the problem is what you originally reported. The item details for a Login in the extension is the same item details view in the main app. The code is the same. Clicking a URL in the details view — even in a specific browser — will only open your default browser. Once we fix this, I think things will work as you are expecting them to. I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but it's on our list for resolution in a future version. :)

This discussion has been closed.