Not Able to Lock the Apple Watch App

Options
kylenorton87
kylenorton87
Community Member

I updated my watchOS and the 1Password app a couple days ago, and I noticed since then that I am not able to lock the 1Password app on the Apple Watch. It used to be that I could hardpress the screen to bring up the menu to lock it, but I no longer get that option. I tried hardpressing from other apps to make sure it is not a problem with the sensor, and it appears to be working fine in other apps. I also tried powering the watch off and back on. Please advise.

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: watchOS 3.1.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kylenorton87: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! There is no longer a separate "lock" mechanism (or PIN) for the Apple Watch app.

We've made some changes to 1Password on Apple Watch in this week's 1Password for iOS version 6.5...

Okay, wait, let me start over: We've made a lot of changes since we've built a brand new native watch app to take advantage of Apple's latest technologies. Since watchOS handles both secure storage of your data and memory management of the app, there is no need for a separate PIN or, by extension, a separate lock function. Rather, our new Apple Watch app requires that a passcode be set on the device itself. That secures the data without having to drain your battery doing slow cryptography in the app itself, and frankly having another PIN was not really helpful: either it's another thing to remember, or it's the same as the device PIN and not offering a real benefit either. And without a PIN, the lock option is redundant. This way, your data is secure, and you get the same convenience the Apple Watch itself offers.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kylenorton87
    kylenorton87
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @brenty! That clears it up. I figured it was something like that but wanted to be sure there was nothing wrong with my app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are most welcome! Glad to help. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.