Level of secutity of the refactored app

stlei
stlei
Community Member

Dear agilebits team,
first of all thanks for refactoring the Apple Watch app. It really runs smoothly and fast.
I was wondering if you also have change something on the architecture handling the items.
With previous versions you'd recommended not storing sensitve data on the Watch. Is this still valid?
Thanks and regards.

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Apple Watch
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stlei: Likewise, thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Indeed, previously 1Password for Apple Watch would run even without a device passcode, which certainly has a profound impact on security. In those cases, the data would have been protected only by a PIN code in 1Password itself, and not everyone chose to even use one. So with the latest release we've gone with a different approach: 1Password for Apple Watch requires a device passcode on the Apple Watch itself, and the data is also secured using the Keychain itself. Certainly most of us don't have long, strong, random passcodes on our watches though, and it's probably even more likely to be lost or stolen than a phone. So it's important to take all of this into account when deciding what to store on our watches. I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.