IOS 1Password app Master Password problem after upgrading from Personal to Family

Options
tdjgordon007
tdjgordon007
Community Member

We recently upgraded 1Password from Personal (individual) to Family. After setting up each individual family member and then loging in using the IOS 1Password apps on iPhones and iPads the software required us to use the old individual (Personal) Master Password. The app would not accept the new Family account Master Password. Is this the way it is supposed to work? It seems like (as the family organizer) I have to remember two Master Passwords one for making changes to the family account (adding new family users, creating new vaults, etc.) and another for opening the app on my IOS devices or Mac. Am I understanding this correctly?

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 10.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tdjgordon007,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The 1Password apps will unlock using the Master Password of the Primary vault, if one exists. Otherwise they will unlock using the Master Password of the first 1Password.com account added.

If you do not have any data in the Personal vault (or any other non-account vaults) that you'd like to keep you can uninstall and reinstall 1Password for iOS which will remove all of 1Password's data. Then you can log back into your 1Password Families account. From that point on you'd unlock 1Password using the Master Password for the 1Password Families account.

On Mac you can achieve the same thing by launching and unlocking 1Password for Mac, opening Preferences > Advanced, and UNchecking the box for "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts."

Thanks!

Ben

• tdjgordon007
    tdjgordon007
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, that worked perfectly. Thank you for your quick reply and solution.

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome @tdjgordon007. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.