To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

difference between Primary Vault and an account. how to remove a synced "primary" vault?

Options
Hank_S
Hank_S
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Any help would be great and i apologise in advance if this has already been covered somewhere else.

i have a primary vault which i used for everything. im not sure how long ago it was, but i got an email explaining the account option to upgrade to. I created one but didnt really migrate everything across to it, nor use it, and basically only used the iOS app for all my passwords on the primary vault. Basically nothing else is setup, so im assuming i only have a primary vault and an account??? correct? and the account is an exact copy of the primary vault?

Ive recently added the windows application to my laptop and home PC and synchronised with my "Personal" account vault to get them all updating the same details. but i keep getting everything relating back to my primary vault. in Windows application i try to sync an additional vault, and i only get the option for the primary vault that was synced originally, and get errors saying its already in use!?!

what was the point of the new "account" if i will be pushed back to the original primary vault when syncing.

My question is i can sync (to dropbox) my account on iOS app, and through the windows applications, but how do i remove the original primary vault.

i want my "Personal" account to sync to only, across all devices, and to remove my primary vault thats syncing with dropbox also.

Is this possible?

Sorry ive found the whole primary vault and "account" thing completely confusing. And unfortunately im finding the forums on agilebits incredibly poor, in that its catered to power user techies, and assuming your already aware how to do half the things that are suggested.

i build my own PC's and have a job in IT, and reading these forums are a little bewildering at times. leaving you not even bothering and just living with workarounds that you may stumble onto on a google search.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.1.308d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10, iOS 10.1.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hank_S

Sorry for the frustration. We're in the midst of making this better but we aren't done yet.

Your "Primary" vault is not synced with your account. There is a "Personal" vault instead.

If you log in a device with your account, the "Personal" vault should appear automatically, without having to set anything up. It's a lot easier than the old way for new users, but existing users have to go through the migration process that can be a little more confusing.

We have a web page and video to show you how to migrate your information to a 1Password.com account:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

I hope that helps. If not, let us know.

Tj

• Hank_S
    Hank_S
    Community Member
    Options

thanks very much TJ, that helped a LOT.

I now understand the logic of an account, this basically replaces syncing to dropbox for example. With the "account" being my online save place. basically a cloud....

unfortunately i also realised that in using my "account" im apparently trialling a standard plan which will expire unless i start a subscription per month.

sorry its great, but not a cost, there are others. will go back to syncing a primary to dropbox.

Thanks a lot for your help

• SeanFoster
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hello @Hank_S, yes, you have that right, the Accounts are a monthly or annual subscription service wherein we handle the sync of your items for you. No worries however, it is not mandatory or the only way to use 1Password and we will continue to support other forms of sync such as Dropbox as well as the purchase of 1Password via single licenses.

If you are looking to move items OUT of the Personal vault you are welcome to do so, nothing is “stuck” there even when the trial comes to an end which in your case will occur in February. I recommend giving these steps a try if you are looking to move anything out of the 1Password Account.

@TJLuoma and I are on standby if you have any follow-up questions. :)

• rvinson307
    rvinson307
    Community Member
    Options

The release for 1Password 6.5 for for iOS says: Primary vaults can now be removed when a 1Password.com account exists. {OPI-3608}
    How do you do this? I just want the personal vault on my iOS

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvinson307,

If you're sure there is nothing in your Primary vault you need, you can delete it on your iPhone or iPad:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings > Vaults > Primary, then tap Delete Vault.

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.