1Password mini makes no connection but seems to be working in Activity Monitor

I've had the problem for a while of the 1Password mini button in Safari doing nothing when clicked so that I have to go to the main app each time and copy/paste. If I click on the URL in the main app the appropriate website loads but there is no autofill of ID/password. A week or so ago I found that something unidentified — I wish I knew what — had caused everything to work correctly, but shortly after that I had to do a restart to fix another problem and 1Password mini reverted to its previous state of inaction. Mini seems to be running in Activity Monitor. I have reinstalled the extension, restarted Safari, restarted the Mac. I've also tried to run 1Password Troubleshooting for you but that hangs — in something approaching half an hour of running it's used around 29.5 sec CPU time.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:mini

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hi @antony_gordon,

Thanks for writing in and sorry for the trouble with the connection. The connection can fail for a number of reasons including Anti-Virus interfering with the connection, other extensions and whether or not you have a proxy / VPN enabled. We do have an extension troubleshooting webpage, which you may be interested in that contains details for configuring Anti-Virus, extensions and proxies that commonly interfere with 1Password's Browser Extension connection:

https://support.1password.com/category/advanced/#software-configuration

If might be worth opening that page to see if you recognize any of the software there. However if that doesn't help and / or you don't recognize any programs that list then I would be very interested in looking at a Diagnostics Report for your system. That should help us progress this and hopefully get you back up and running.

Normally the best approach is to gather a Diagnostics Report but you mentioned that even that was hanging during the process of creating a report. The Diagnostics Reporting tool can take a few minutes to produce a report - may I ask how long you left it running after clicking "Create Report". Once it has completed, it should prompt you to "Create New Mail Message.." which will allow you email it to us.

Did that help?

Best regards,
    Matt

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Hi Matt, thanks for your response. I don't have any extensions or antivirus running but I am now consistently running my connection through VyperVPN -- no wish to make life easier for spooks under UK's new snoopers' charter.

I forgot to cancel the diagnostics report so it carrid on this morning after waking the MacBook from sleep and not noticed until the afternoon so the answer is many hours. I'm happy to run things from the command line if you have alternatives to the Diagnostics Reporting tool.

Best wishes,

Antony

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting back to me Antony,

The VPN would cause the 1Password extension to fail to connect. If this is happening, it should be displaying a "Could not find 1Password" page in your browser.

While I'm not a user of VyprVPN myself, another user on our forum found that the following solution worked for them:
    1. Disable the whole "Per App" feature in VyprVPN altogether. You should be able to do this from your VyprVPN Preferences > Connection screen by unticking the "Per App" checkbox.
    2. Adding an exception for the local network address which the 1Password browser extension uses to communicate with the 1Password app.

Did that help?

Hmm, that's not good about the Diagnostics Reporting tool. If you still have it running could you gather a Sample of the process for me please? This should tell us where it's hanging. You can forward that file to support@agilebits.com and I'll take it from there :-)

To do that:
    1. Open Activity Monitor.
    2. Find the "1Password Troubleshooting" process and select it.
    3. Click the "i" button at the top of Activity Monitor.
    4. In the new window that opens, there will be a button at the bottom called "Sample". Please click it.
    5. Another new window will appear and it will sample the process. Once complete (should only take a few seconds) - it should have a "Save" button in the top-right.
    6. Please save this file and forward it to the support@agilebits.com support email and let me know.

Thank you very much and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it!

Best regards,
    Matt

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Hi Matt,

Many thanks -- it looks like problems solved. I disabled 'per app' in VyperVPN and added an exception for 127.0.0.1 in sys prefs. As soon as I unticked 'per app' I saw the mini window pop up in the background. At that point I lost internet connection but a restart brought it back and now 1Password and VPN running — luxury!

Thanks again and have a good break over the holiday period,

Antony

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Sorry, I meant to add that disabling 'per app' has also re-enabled 1Password Troubleshooting. I've not bothered to send anything since it all works now.

Antony

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Hi @antony_gordon,

I'm glad to hear this worked :smile:

This discussion has been closed.