I started to sign up for the newest version of 1Password, not sure if I should?

Options

I currently have but haven't used the original version of 1Password 3 for a long time and wanted to start clean with the newest version 1Password 6. I already started the process with the account set up and created a new master password, but cannot get the installer to recognize what I am doing. Is this the best route to take, or should I use the existing account I have to upgrade? Will I be charged for it again?

1Password Version: 3.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I haven't used the original version of 1Password for a long time and wanted to start clean with the newest version. I already started the process with the account set up and master password, but cannot get the installer to recognize what I am doing. Is this the best route to take, or should I use the existing account I have to upgrade? Will I be charged for it again?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kheil: Can you be more specific about what you're doing and where you're running into trouble? I'm not sure what you mean by "cannot get the installer to recognize what I am doing".

Is this the best route to take, or should I use the existing account I have to upgrade? Will I be charged for it again?

In case it helps, if you were previously using 1Password as a standalone app with a license you purchased, you won't have an account at all. The 1Password.com subscription service is fairly new, so you won't have an account for it unless you'd signed up within the last year or so. The subscription is separate from any single license purchases you may have made in the past, but it includes all of the apps, the web interface, built in sync, and automatic backup. From your description it sounds like that's the way to go since 1Password 3 is incredibly old and does not support recent OS and browser versions.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kheil
    kheil
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on board for the 1Password 6, I went over my new account and everything seems to be set up and saved now. I haven't subscribed to anything yet so I'm assuming I'm using the free trail? I do want to subscribe to the family plan but noticed that the App thats available for all my devices has a monthly subscription also, is this in addition to the account subscription? And finally, since I'm starting over I want to avoid the things that turned me away from the 1Password 3, no real help in setting up my accounts properly. I know there is a getting started section but I still don't see anything specific if I'm starting from scratch. I did try an add my first item (my network) but there are already passwords showing in certain areas and I wasn't sure it these are my old passwords or new generated passwords. So what I'm looking for is basically, step by step directions to get me started, so I'm confident I'm using the properly. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kheil: Yep! You'll be able to use it for free for 30 days. After that, the account will be frozen if you don't subscribe, but you will not be locked out of your data; you just won't be able to add more. A single subscription covers all of your devices (and those of your family members, if you choose 1Password Families instead of the individual plan).

And if you're looking for help getting setup, you've come to the right place! That's what we're here for, and we also have a great guide for getting started:

Get started with 1Password

It sounds like you may have already taken some of those steps, but if you follow it all the way, you can make sure you didn't miss anything. And at the bottom, there are links for next steps, as well as how to use the browser extensions.

BUT don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. The guides are nice. They don't talk back. Sometimes that's nice. But sometimes it's good to have feedback too. We appreciate yours, and we're here to offer any help we can. :)

• kheil
    kheil
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds great! Thanks again for all your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. Happy holidays! :)

This discussion has been closed.