Why sign up for a 1Password membership?

Comments

• Bronwen224466
    Bronwen224466
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply. I have read about the security, and it all sounds good, but I don't have the background to really assess it myself, so I have to take it as face value. But it's hard to feel confident that nothing could go wrong. Could encryption fail to occur, for example? And does the same security apply to the document storage? That part of the subscription is also appealing because there are things I'd like to keep encrypted in the cloud that I'm less worried about than passwords. Is there any thought to branching more in to this area, for AgileBits? It would be nice to have the option of more than a GB of space. I have Knox, but I don't really know how safe it is to back that up to Dropbox. Which reminds me, I have a question about Knox, but I'll ask that in a more appropriate place. Thank you again.

• livalencia
    livalencia
    Community Member

I just wanted to start by saying that you have an awesome product and a superb customer service! You guys rock!

I am a the kind of person that has six or more complex passwords floating around and somehow remembers them all! But as I age and security becomes a big deal something had to happen and I also would never trust any browser to "save" my data. With that being said my company introduced me to 1 Password and I just freagin love it! Seamlessly store passwords in an elegant way (whaa whaat?!) 1 Password 6 is pure joy - and I don't have to store passwords in my human memory anymore!

My company continues to grow, and on June 3rd, 2016 I was given the task of mass purchasing licenses(I bought20 licenses). I believe 1 Password Teams was released on June 2nd, 2016. At the time we felt that it was too early to switch to 1 Password Teams, the reasons being:

1. It might still be buggy
    2. We are not "that big"
    3. There's not too much overhead when managing the licenses..right?

I see that you are all working very hard pinning any bugs that are found, so the first concern went out the window. Two "We are not that big?", well we are growing which is great! Number three, unfortunately there is overhead when managing 1 Password licenses employee by employee, and there is even more overhead when hiring consultants that only need access for a certain period of time, and a certain number of passwords. You can see how it can become very time consuming.

I promise I'm almost done - We purchased the 20 licenses, is there a way to get an extra discount on the 1 Password Teams yearly subscription? We are planning to switch to 1 Password Teams because it is a solution that will work so much better for us. You might be saying "Wait...aren't you 'growing'", yes we are and we are hoping in the future to grow even more and continue to support your great business!

If it is not possible then I completely understand, in the end you deserve to be paid for all your hard work. :)

Again thank you for your time!

• Hi @Bronwen224466

Could encryption fail to occur, for example?

Encryption of your 1Password data is not some add-on, slapped on after the fact. It is an integral part of the foundation.

And does the same security apply to the document storage?

Yes. But, once the document reaches your computer it is not encrypted (by 1Password). In order for you to view it it has to be decrypted (you can't read it if it is encrypted). So it is still important to take all standard security precautions with your devices (using whole disk encryption, being signed in with your Apple ID so you can remotely wipe the device if stolen, etc).

Is there any thought to branching more in to this area, for AgileBits?

Probably not at this time. We're really trying to focus on our core business which is password management. I don't see us branching out into other markets in the near future. We've discontinued the other products we used to offer (AllBookmarks, Knox) to focus on that effort.

It would be nice to have the option of more than a GB of space.

While we may offer additional storage options in the future it is worth noting that this feature is intended for things like:

• Keeping a secure copy of scanned documents such as passports, drivers licenses, insurance cards, etc handy
    • Storing information relevant to other 1Password items -- for example for each checking account I have a scanned copy of a check

It is not designed for, and probably will not work for, things like:

• Storing your photo library or MP3 collection
    • Backing up your hard drive
    • Sharing home videos

:)

Ben

• Hi @livalencia

The importance of having a password that is both secure and unique for each account has grown in recent years, and as you know 1Password can help you accomplish that task without overburdening your memory. I myself have 400+ logins that all have unique passwords. There is no way I could remember all of those, and also have them be good passwords.

We had a fairly long beta testing period with 1Password Teams, in which we worked out most of the bugs. :) But we're continuing to make improvements to it every day.

1Password Teams is great for teams of any size. It makes syncing and sharing so much easier than what we're able to offer with the licensed products.

We'd be happy to discuss pricing. If you could please drop us an email to sales@agilebits.com and include this link we'll be able to better help:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/323118/#Comment_323118

Thanks!

Ben

• Zod
    Zod
    Community Member

I have a pro license for iOS + Mac and it's working great so far but I'd like to try the new individual setting for greater sync simplicity among devices (plus i may get some android devices soon). I was wondering, now that with cloud syncing 1password data is on the cloud and accessible by web too, will it be possible to use 1password browser extension without the desktop application? This would lead to Linux compatibility for instance, somewhat similar to the actual LastPass model. Am I wrong?

• Hi @Zod,

You're not wrong, but our browser extensions currently rely on our native desktop applications. They do not talk to the 1Password.com service directly themselves. Perhaps something for down the road, but right now that isn't available.

Ben

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I don't understand this post regarding the documents:

Yes. But, once the document reaches your computer it is not encrypted (by 1Password). In order for you to view it it has to be decrypted (you can't read it if it is encrypted). So it is still important to take all standard security precautions with your devices (using whole disk encryption, being signed in with your Apple ID so you can remotely wipe the device if stolen, etc).

Currently I'm using 1P 4 for Windows with local vaults. I read that 1P switched to Documents in 1 PW 6 to play together with the accounts.
    Will the access to my vault data (in the account) via desktop client only be possible if a connection to the internet is established?
    I thought (hope) there will be a local encrypted copy of my vault to access the data in offline mode on my Windows 10 Notebook?
    So I'm a little bit confused with your sentence "But, once the document reaches your computer it is not encrypted".
    Do you mean it's only not encrypted while accessing the document or do you mean it's stored unecrypted on my harddrive?

• Hi @Finke03

I'm going to ask one of our security folks to chime in here as I think they'll be able to explain better than I can.

Ben

ref: BC 3091630/buckets/725798/todos/204956091

• rpiver
    rpiver
    Community Member

Hi,
    I'm glad you're keeping the one time purchase licenses around. One of the reasons I chose 1password is because it was not in the cloud. In fact when I was making my decision it was between you guys and Last Password. You guys won out because Lastpassword had been hacked multiple times. Which leads me to my question for subscription based users. Knowing that anything on the internet can be hacked, if/when Agilebits gets hacked (and I sincerely hope you don't) what type of disclosure are you guys going to provide? For instance if you get hacked this month (August), how soon would you notify users.

My second question is what are you guys doing to prevent any hacks to your service? How are you more secure than Lastpassword? I truly do not mean this in a mean spirited way and plan on remaining a customer for as long as you guys continue to offer the standalone versions.

Rad

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@rpiver,

Full disclosure is the only way to report security vulnerabilities. We have always been completely transparent when there were aspects of 1Password that could be improved, and this would be no different if a vulnerability were found in our hosted service.

The biggest difference between 1Password and other hosted services is our use of a 128-bit Account Key to strengthen the encryption:

With traditional two-factor authentication, an existing device is used to authorize a new one. But the existing device is only used for authorization. The one-time passwords are not used to harden the encryption.

Your Account Key works in much the same way. It is required to authorize a new device. However, your Account Key is actually used to improve the encryption of your data. Both your Master Password and your Account Key are required to decrypt your data. This has several benefits.

Your Account Key:

• Protects against a weak or reused Master Password because the Master Password alone is not enough to decrypt your data.
    • Protects your data even if someone else obtains it. The data is useless without the Account Key.
    • Protects your data when you reset your browser. If you reset your browser, the Account Key used to sign in to 1Password.com is wiped out instantly, making doubly sure that no one can get at your data.

In short, your account is protected with not just your Master Password (which may be of varying strength) but the 128-bit Account Key as well. Just one or the other (Master Password or Account Key) is not enough to decrypt the data. They are never stored on our servers, they are never stored together, and your Master Password is only stored in your head.

Learn more

• hollander999
    hollander999
    Community Member

I found the recent email from David Teare (8/2016)--announcing the addition of a subscription option to 1Password's license model--confusing, surprising, and discordant with AgileBits' ethos (at least that portrayed to the public, and certainly that perceived by myself over the years). I will not speculate on what led AgileBits in this direction; however, as many have pointed out, the email--despite its well-intended reassurances to the contrary--left me feeling uneasy regarding the future.

I have invested in 1Password licenses and upgrades for Windows, Mac, and iOS for years, and have enjoyed and admired its unmatched convenience and performance, Although the 8/16 email states that "we will continue selling licenses and updating 1Password...", the company representative above in this thread writes "if people simply stop buying licenses, stop using the apps, and use only the website to access their 1Password data, we won't have much incentive to continue pouring resources into them."

While he may think this is a "crazy" scenario, whether or not folks choose to sign up as subscribers or continue to license and/or upgrade software, depends on factors that we have no foreknowledge of. For example, will the monthly subscription cost increase over time? Will the cost of buying or upgrading licenses on different platforms rise to the point that one is essentially coerced into subscribing? Etc.

The new subscription service, as far as I am concerned (and as many have noted), offers nothing substantive over the licensed software--and certainly nothing sufficient to justify its cost ($2.99/month). As others have mentioned as well, the subscription model will place our data on the company's "new hosted platform".

To give newer users a flavor of AgileBits historically highly supportive, user-friendly ethos, I reviewed a few of many similar emails that I've saved over the years from the company, which reflect their past, upbeat, and generous leadership. These justifiably created a public image of its primary mission as creating and upgrading software in an increasingly vital niche as well as its rock-solid commitment to its loyal customers, which have grown ever more rapidly and massively in response:

* In 11//2012, AgileBits announced 1Password 4 for iOS as an "entirely new universal app..." costing $17.99, but offered current
            license holders an introductory upgrade price of only $7.99. 

* In 6//2013, AgileBits announced 50% off on 1Password 4 for iOS as well as 50% off on 1Password for Mac & Windows. 

* Then, in 10/2013, AgileBits announced 1Password 4 for Mac, "providing an unprecedented 9 month free upgrade window" for
             anyone who had purchased the older version at any time in 2013. 

* The subsequent iOS7 update was free for iOS users, and 1Password 5 for iOS8 was also free to licensees of 1Password 4 for iOS.

*  In November 2014, 1Password 5 for Mac (OS X Yosemite) was offered as a free upgrade for all 1Password 4 for Mac users.

I could go on; however, I hope AgileBits understands fully how their recent email re: the subscription model ($2.99/month), might---to loyal licensees and upgraders---be seen and felt as an abrupt, almost about-face turn from a long history of their genuinely user-supportive, user-friendly stance as well as commitment to offering the best-in-class software for the primary benefit of customers, especially long-standing upgraders, often on multiple platforms.

I think most licensees can see the writing on the wall; and, it seems and feels disingenuous at best. I am saddened to see this from a company I respected more than most for their long history of best intentions in serving customers, and making their lives more productive and secure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I found the recent email from David Teare (8/2016)--announcing the addition of a subscription option to 1Password's license model--confusing, surprising, and discordant with AgileBits' ethos (at least that portrayed to the public, and certainly that perceived by myself over the years).

@hollander999: If you mean that you're in control of your data, that hasn't changed. Do you want us to host it? We'll do that for you. Do you want to sync it yourself? You can do that too. Either way, you're in control. When you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password for Families, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

I will not speculate on what led AgileBits in this direction; however, as many have pointed out, the email--despite its well-intended reassurances to the contrary--left me feeling uneasy regarding the future.

No need to speculate! 1Password subscriptions began with 1Password Teams. If you had any idea how often we were asked for this service by various companies you'd understand why we built it. When we introduced it in beta last year, many people used it for their families and asked for family pricing, so the obvious next step was 1Password Families subscriptions. I'm sure you can imagine what the next big request was at that point, by individuals who weren't living with a family, so we are now giving all three groups of people exactly what they requested. If people weren't requesting these things, we very well might have never spent the time, energy, and (frankly) money it took to create the new 1Password account platform, but we were asked for them many times over the years leading up to 1Password Teams, so here we are!

I have invested in 1Password licenses and upgrades for Windows, Mac, and iOS for years, and have enjoyed and admired its unmatched convenience and performance, Although the 8/16 email states that "we will continue selling licenses and updating 1Password...", the company representative above in this thread writes "if people simply stop buying licenses, stop using the apps, and use only the website to access their 1Password data, we won't have much incentive to continue pouring resources into them."

That's right. Like any business, we can only continue to make products if we have customers who buy them. It's as simple as that. We are completely independent, not corporate or investor-funded, so we depend entirely on the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers. And of course that's why you're here in this discussion: because we're offering a new service that people asked us for. Repeatedly. For years.

While he may think this is a "crazy" scenario, whether or not folks choose to sign up as subscribers or continue to license and/or upgrade software, depends on factors that we have no foreknowledge of. For example, will the monthly subscription cost increase over time? Will the cost of buying or upgrading licenses on different platforms rise to the point that one is essentially coerced into subscribing? Etc.

It doesn't matter. The license you purchase today will never increase in price. Similarly, a subscription started at the current rate will continue at that rate unless you cancel it. In either case, you're able to "lock in" the price. The "crazy" part is if folks who prefer licenses stop buying them even while we continue to offer them, simply because we're offering another option now too. Now that's talking crazy!

The new subscription service, as far as I am concerned (and as many have noted), offers nothing substantive over the licensed software--and certainly nothing sufficient to justify its cost ($2.99/month). As others have mentioned as well, the subscription model will place our data on the company's "new hosted platform".

Exactly. That's part of what subscribers are paying for: securely hosting their data so they can access it on all of their devices without fiddling with sync settings or licenses. If you're already happily syncing everything yourself and have all the licenses you need, then of course it won't appeal to you, and that's fine. But not everyone feels the same way. I enjoy messing around with my computers, but not everyone does — as crazy as that sounds! For a new 1Password user, paying one low price to seamlessly access data on all devices is likely more appealing...or for an existing customer who's ever run into a sync issue or lost their license.

I think most licensees can see the writing on the wall; and, it seems and feels disingenuous at best. I am saddened to see this from a company I respected more than most for their long history of best intentions in serving customers, and making their lives more productive and secure.

There's only writing on the wall if you put it there. And that sounds a lot like graffiti. I hope it's at least artistic! ;)

But in all seriousness, it's really up to you and everyone else who prefers to purchase standalone licenses to vote with your dollars. If you and everyone else who shares your view chooses to stop supporting us because we offer another option that others like, then yes, we will almost certainly stop selling them. But I don't think — or hope — that it will come to that. I think rationality and practicality will win out. After all, that's part of the reason some of us prefer a-la-carte software! :chuffed:

• smblion
    smblion
    Community Member

The best password manager is keepass. It is multi-platform, and completely free. It has all of the features that you want from a password manager, it probably has more features than you'd know what to do with. The database is completely under your control which means you don't have to worry about a well known corporation honeypot being hacked and all of your sensitive data being stolen. It is multi-platform, and completely free.

The solution to all of your problems with password manager tools is to use keepass.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's certainly one option! Frankly, I'm glad that there are options, as that is not always the case. We're happy to offer 1Password to folks who appreciate not only security, but also design, ease of use, and of course personal support from actual people — which is unfortunately the exception rather than the rule. Cheers! :)

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @finke03,

I'm a developer here at 1Password. I can answer your question about how Documents work in the 1Password client.

Basically when you upload a file into a 1Password Account the data is encrypted immediately before upload. That data is the securely uploaded to the 1Password server for other clients or users in your Team or Family to download.

When you view a document in 1Password you have to initiate a download to get that file on your device. It is saved to your computer in an completely encrypted format.

If you want to view that file you can click on it to view it. In that scenario the file is decrypted to the 1Password cache folder so that you can view/copy the file however you want. Once you lock the 1Password app it will remove the decrypted copy of the file from disk. So the only remaining copy on disk is the encrypted version.

You also have the option in the client to remove the local encrypted copy from your computer. But that would mostly be for the sake of making space on your computer and not security related.

I should also note that the folder your documents are decrypted into are marked to not be backed up by Time Machine. It's possible that other backup programs could not respect this setting however, so it's hard to say if those files could end up in your backups.

I hope that explains it.

• MichaelDBreen
    MichaelDBreen
    Community Member

Unsure about my subscription I found this thread. Reading it my faith in 1Pasword has declined. The underlying themes seems to be about can we trust 1P. We all know the old marketing saw about giving the razor and charging for blades. We live in an age where trust in all kinds of institutions is thin if not absent. I had trouble identifying my license; I asked for help on line. "Signing up for a subscription", which I was recommended to do so by Steven ____"I know it's confusing. We recommend going with the subscription service for most customers, but there are some who are interested in keeping the licenses instead.____"
    Subscriptions seem to be the default setting for sales and marketing now in 1P. Some of the responses from Ben & co suggested 1P was a cult in which we make an act of faith. Another assumption is that we are traveling around the globe daily and need stuff saved in some other out there place. I just want to be able to use 1P on my mac and my android mobile. No big deal, but after following this thread I am not sure I want to continue. And by the way "Only$2." something per month might be that in your country but more in mine. Re reading the posts you sure have a problem communicating why subscriptions are the flavor of the month and the following years. Unsure and confused, Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MichaelDBreen: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! First and foremost, if you already have the 1Password license(s) you need, nothing has changed for you: it never expires and you can continue using the app(s) as you always have, without spending any more money. If you do want an upgrade though, we charge the same price for subscription plans (in USD) no matter who you are or where you live.

I don't see where Ben said anything like you're suggesting, but please let me know if there's something I'm missing, or that requires clarification. To be clear, this is a very old discussion you're joining just now, so a lot has changed in the intervening months...but our core principles haven't, and we're still focused on the same things we were a decade ago:

• Support

I think this is one of the most important aspects of 1Password. Time is money, after all. Whether there is a problem or if you just have a quick question, we're here for you. And we always love customer feedback. And there isn't a fee or a limit to our love and support of our awesome customers.

• Design

This comes back to the notion that time is money. If everyone can start using 1Password quickly and easily understand new features when they are rolled out, then they save money on time that would otherwise be lost trying to figure something out or troubleshoot. If price is the only consideration, there are plenty of free tools available, but our time is more valuable than that. And of course we're always here to help!

• Security

Our security architecture means that a family organizer can recover accounts for other family members. We at AgileBits can never do that. We simply cannot perform a traditional "password reset" for you. With traditional password reset mechanisms, your secrets are only as secure as all your family members' email accounts. With 1Password, account recovery can only be initiated by a family organizer. Learn more in the 1Password Security Design White Paper.

• Privacy

Last but definitely not least, we have sustainable prices so we can serve you for years to come without exploiting you or your data. It’s possible for a company to cut corners on pricing, but then they might need investors’ money, a buyer with deeper pockets, or — worst of all — advertising money at the expense of your privacy. We have gone out of our way to build 1Password so that we have no information about your data or about how you use 1Password. It is not merely that we choose not to collect or use data about you; we have designed our systems so that, for the most part, we don’t even have the capability to collect data about you or how you use 1Password. Learn more about 1Password privacy.

That's 1Password in a nutshell. But as far as 1Password.com in particular, it's easier to manage a single subscription than it is to keep track of individual licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The subscription model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps, like central hosting and vault management.

Many people find that a 1Password subscription is valuable because gives them access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. But we recognize that some folks prefer a license, so we're happy to continue to offer that option as well. :)

• cisconet
    cisconet
    Community Member

This is a long thread but I think it's worth the user giving feedback between standalone and subscription.

I would like to recommend a friend to use 1Password, may I know if he could still buy the standalone version for both iOS and Mac and have it sync via iCloud? He is not favorable of subscription as most user here feel the same.

I look forward to your reply. Cheers!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@cisconet:

may I know if he could still buy the standalone version for both iOS and Mac and have it sync via iCloud?

Yes—fortunately AgileBits still sells the standalone version of 1Password for Mac (available either from the AgileBits' site or from the Mac App Store) and the standalone version of 1Password for iOS is available from the App Store accessed on any iOS device. iCloud sync will work—subject only to the iCloud limitation of being able to sync only the primary 1Password vault (see generally this knowledge base article).

Stephen

• cisconet
    cisconet
    Community Member

Thanks Stephen.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Stephen, you are quite welcome!

If you have any other questions, we're always here to help.

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely holiday. :chuffed:

• KeyProtection
    KeyProtection
    Community Member

I just started doing a trial version of 1password so I'm completely new to the app and to password managers. I'm one of those people that hates subscription models. Frankly, it's not what I'm use to. I'm use to buying software once and using it for years and years. I still use Office 2007! When I looked at what was new in Office 2016 I saw nothing but a shiny new GUI and the thought of paying a monthly fee to use the software was crazy to me. I know there's more than a shiny new GUI but for me it was nothing compelling.

But I came across this thread while researching password managers and whether paying a monthly subscription for 1password was worth it to me. Until I read a review of 1password I didn't even know a perpetual license was available for purchase. Why? Well I didn't bother to read the FAQ.

It's very obvious 1password wants to push users towards the subscription model. I understand, all software companies want to move in this direction. Microsoft knows Office is good enough already that most users don't need to upgrade. It's a dilemma facing all software companies. The subscription model gives you a more predictable revenue flow and just simply a revenue flow.

My problem is with Brenty's deceptive responses towards users who don't like subscription models. Brenty likes to emphasize that as long as users keep buying perpetual licenses, that 1password will continue to offer them. Well that's fine and dandy but how the hell are users going to buy the perpetual licenses when they are buried in the FAQ? How many people even read the FAQ? Honestly, you're barely even giving your users a change to buy the perpetual license, BARELY.

Of course the subscription model is going to win, it's practically a secret that a perpetual license is still available.

Later Brenty will claim that a perpetual license is no longer available because users stopped buying them, well duh.

Deception is a form lying and that's what is going on here. That's the last thing you want from a company selling you software to manage passwords.

I understand you're a business and you need to keep the lights on and owners want to turn a bigger profit, it's the natural course of a business. And you're sale representatives and you're going to play to your craft but at least treat us as if we were intelligent people and at least give the impression you're being honest.

Whether it's the truth or not, you can state that 1password believes that the subscription model is a more sustainable business that will better allow it to continue to offer its users with improved software with the latest features but that the perpetual license will continue to be supported for the time being while 1password gauges the response to its subscription model from its users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just started doing a trial version of 1password so I'm completely new to the app and to password managers. I'm one of those people that hates subscription models. Frankly, it's not what I'm use to. I'm use to buying software once and using it for years and years. I still use Office 2007! When I looked at what was new in Office 2016 I saw nothing but a shiny new GUI and the thought of paying a monthly fee to use the software was crazy to me. I know there's more than a shiny new GUI but for me it was nothing compelling.

@KeyProtection: That's completely understandable. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective with us. Certainly I was once used to doing things that way as well, but I suspect my video game habit served to acclimate me to subscriptions. :lol:

But I came across this thread while researching password managers and whether paying a monthly subscription for 1password was worth it to me. Until I read a review of 1password I didn't even know a perpetual license was available for purchase. Why? Well I didn't bother to read the FAQ.
    It's very obvious 1password wants to push users towards the subscription model. I understand, all software companies want to move in this direction. Microsoft knows Office is good enough already that most users don't need to upgrade. It's a dilemma facing all software companies. The subscription model gives you a more predictable revenue flow and just simply a revenue flow.

Honestly revenue is just a small part of it. Certainly it's important to have a sustainable business, but we've managed that for a decade without subscriptions. However, we've also been asked for a lot of things over the years, repeatedly, that simply aren't possible with standalone apps (simple sync and sharing, web interface, built in access controls, etc.) Building this costs money, and hosting is a recurring cost, so it seemed like a natural evolution to go with a subscription model for this service to make it sustainable, and also to provide users with what most folks frankly expect: access to all of the apps — for both themselves and for families and teams. You may not like the subscription model, and I would actually be lying if I said I prefer it to paying for something once, but for myself and many others the continuing benefits outweigh that.

My problem is with Brenty's deceptive responses towards users who don't like subscription models. Brenty likes to emphasize that as long as users keep buying perpetual licenses, that 1password will continue to offer them. Well that's fine and dandy but how the hell are users going to buy the perpetual licenses when they are buried in the FAQ? How many people even read the FAQ? Honestly, you're barely even giving your users a change to buy the perpetual license, BARELY.

That's a fair point, but I have to disagree with you. If we legitimately didn't have license information on our public website and weren't responsive to folks via email and forums who ask about them, you'd be 100% right. But in fact neither is the case. We simply think that the benefits of a 1Password.com subscription are a better experience for most users, and many of our customers seem to agree (present company notwithstanding).

Of course the subscription model is going to win, it's practically a secret that a perpetual license is still available.
    Later Brenty will claim that a perpetual license is no longer available because users stopped buying them, well duh.
    Deception is a form lying and that's what is going on here. That's the last thing you want from a company selling you software to manage passwords.

Personal attacks aside, you're entitled to your opinion, but our track record and actions say otherwise. And the only thing we can really do is continue that tradition.

I understand you're a business and you need to keep the lights on and owners want to turn a bigger profit, it's the natural course of a business. And you're sale representatives and you're going to play to your craft but at least treat us as if we were intelligent people and at least give the impression you're being honest.
    Whether it's the truth or not, you can state that 1password believes that the subscription model is a more sustainable business that will better allow it to continue to offer its users with improved software with the latest features but that the perpetual license will continue to be supported for the time being while 1password gauges the response to its subscription model from its users.

You're right. It's up to you whether you take what we say at face value or imbue it with some other meaning. And ultimately it's up to us to continue to provide quality products and responsive support. We're happy to do our part because we're grateful to have such awesome customers and be able to do what we love. I hope you have a merry Christmas and enjoy as many other holidays as you can this season while the getting is good! :chuffed:

• KeyProtection
    KeyProtection
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

I fully respect that you would answer to my scathing post, I think many companies would just delete it. I also fully respect that 1Password supports even users of older versions of its software, I understand that tradition that you uphold.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@KeyProtection: I appreciate that. Thank you. After all, you're right to be skeptical and question our motives. I think we've all been on the receiving end of some companies' decisions. Certainly we cannot simply rely on our historical track record and say "trust us"; we have to continue to strive to earn it each and every day. :blush:

• dbagli
    dbagli
    Community Member

Just making move to 1Password and I think I'll do subscription. A few questions:
    Do you have academic pricing on the subscriptions?
    Can one move laterally from a single to a family subscription or out of a family subscription and back to a single?
    Can a family subscription be used by, say 5 roommates or students who live together?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Do you have academic pricing on the subscriptions?

@dbagli: It's something we may offer in the future. Shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll let you know. :)

Can one move laterally from a single to a family subscription or out of a family subscription and back to a single?

Yes. BUT it's much less complicated to go from individual to family account than vice versa, since any data for an individual simply maps directly to that user in a family, but you'd need to deal with any additional family members and shared vaults since they wouldn't map to an individual account.

Can a family subscription be used by, say 5 roommates or students who live together?

I don't think we want to get into the business of deciding who you can count as family. I know I've got really close friends from school who I'd count closer than some relatives. Really it's more a matter of what you're comfortable with. If you're talking about paying for them or splitting the cost, those would probably have to be some pretty close friends. And I think one of the best things about 1Password Families is being able to share data and recover accounts for loved ones, so definitely take that into account before making a decision.

• sanjanb
    sanjanb
    Community Member

I recently purchased a 1password license. Also started using trail mode of 1password. But after the trial period is over, the account remains frozen. I am unable to apply my license. Looks like to unfreeze my account I will have to subscribe every month. Though I have VALID LICENSE, should I still subscribe and pay every month?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@sanjanb: Not at all! You should pick one or the other, rather than paying for both. A 1Password license, as you can imagine, is not valid for the subscription service and will not unfreeze your account, but if you prefer the benefits 1Password.com has to offer (no sync configuration or license management, and the web interface with automatic backups and versioning), just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll see what we can do to help. Otherwise, simply use the standalone version of 1Password without the account and you won't have to pay for the subscription. Cheers! :)

Edit: I see you also emailed us, so we can continue the conversation there to avoid further confusion.

ref: VFI-66245-393

• kayakman
    kayakman
    Community Member

I'm still not sure about all of this...currently I have a stand alone account and subscription account. Do the two work together? Can I use both of them on my mac, iphone and iPad?

This discussion has been closed.